Some people are complaining that the 16GB version of the Galaxy S4 doesn't have a lot of free space out of the box. Some were saying that it wouldn't be a huge issue if one of two things were true:

1. 32gb and 64gb options were more easily available
    2. Apps could be installed on the sdcard like it could be in previous versions of Android.

Now I didn't realize that you can't install the apps on the sdcard (or at least not easily) on Android anymore.

It really makes me thankful the 920 came with 32gb as the only option. Today's phones really are needing this extra space. I have 10gb free right now. That seems like a lot but it wouldn't work on a 16gb phone!

It seems crazy for phone makers to have the flagship phones have any less than 32gb of space.
    Last edited by HeyCori; 05-05-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: linking to other complaint threads/wrong forum
    05-04-2013 11:44 AM
    Samsung have clarified that the microsd card is available but what they didn't say is you can't move the apps to SD card!! I do not think everyone knows about this. you can only store photo/media on sd card..

But, rooting should solve the problem right? Link2SD isnt compatible with Android 4.2.2? Someone please comment :)
    05-04-2013 11:50 AM
    Frankly I didn't do much research because I don't see owning a newer Android phone anytime soon, but I am guessing it is possible rooting. That said, if you do have to root to move/install apps to sdcard, it could be a big problem. A lot of games now-a-days have become quite big. Also, I see a lot of Samsung phones with people that won't be rooting their phone anytime soon just for the fact that they aren't that good technically.

I always thought of this as more of an iOS and WP issue. Maybe it is now Android also...

EDIT: Just read more...Moving apps to an sdcard isn't possible without rooting. It was removed from Android as an option.
    05-04-2013 11:58 AM
    I read some of the comments on an article (I didn't read the thread on AC) and some people are claiming false advertising. They're saying that Samsung should advertise it as an 8GB device. I don't see how that's fair, unless you get every other device to advertise it's usable storage space. So the Nexus 4 8GB will become the Nexus 4 6GB, the HTC One 32GB should be the HTC One 25GB, and so on.
    05-04-2013 12:45 PM
    Why are os's going this way. Installing onto SD was so common in the Symbian days. Why regress?
    metalchick719 likes this.
    05-04-2013 12:51 PM
    Why are os's going this way. Installing onto SD was so common in the Symbian days. Why regress?
    I assume it is two fold:
    1. Security. While I don't know specifics, I would it is more secure to keep everything on the phone itself.
    2. Pirating. I'm guessing it is easier to pirate apps if you can install them on an SD card.

These are the only two reasons that make any sense to me..
    05-04-2013 12:55 PM
    People should understand it's not advertised as 16gb available space; however, for high end phone I think it should be 32gb at least.
    05-04-2013 01:13 PM
    I assume it is two fold:
    1. Security. While I don't know specifics, I would it is more secure to keep everything on the phone itself.
    2. Pirating. I'm guessing it is easier to pirate apps if you can install them on an SD card.

Speed. If you use a slow SD card, the app will have poor performance, and people will think it's the fault of the phone or the operating system when it's actually your slow Class 2 SD card that's the bottleneck.
    a5cent, Devamps and Dazzi like this.
    05-04-2013 01:26 PM
    Speed. If you use a slow SD card, the app will have poor performance, and people will think it's the fault of the phone or the operating system when it's actually your slow Class 2 SD card that's the bottleneck.
    That is true. Though you would think it could test the card and then allow the option if it meets a certain benchmark.
    05-04-2013 01:31 PM
    I assume it is two fold:

i think you are right and with Google Glass-like products people will learn the true meaning of privacy and security. I read that some people succeeded to hack it already. But anything built on Android is less safe against malwares and other attacks anyway. I'm glad Samsung took care of this for their S4.
    05-04-2013 01:32 PM
    i think you are right and with Google Glass-like products people will learn the true meaning of privacy and security. I read that some people succeeded to hack it already. But anything built on Android is less safe against malwares and other attacks anyway. I'm glad Samsung took care of this for their S4.
    It isn't a Samsung thing. No Android phones running the latest couple Android OS's can do it.
    05-04-2013 01:34 PM
    Link

It is basically people complaining that the 16gb version doesn't have a lot of free space out of the box. Some were saying that it wouldn't be a huge issue if one of two things were true:

1. 32gb and 64gb options were more easily available
    2. Apps could be installed on the sdcard like it could be in previous versions of Android.

Now I didn't realize that you can't install the apps on the sdcard (or at least not easily) on Android anymore.

The reason I put this on the 920 board is that it really makes me thankful the 920 came with 32gb as the only option. Today's phones really are needing this extra space. I have 10gb free right now. That seems like a lot but it wouldn't work on a 16gb phone!

It seems crazy for phone makers to have the flagship phones have any less than 32gb of space.
    What makes me laugh is the GS4's system is over 6gb. Therefore, the user has less than 10gb for games and apps -- so glad I've got a L920 because I would of filled the GS4 already.
    05-04-2013 01:43 PM
    ^^ Well, there are more Samsung Features on it than l920 or any other smartphone!! That's the whole S4 attraction(you can notice in their ads as well) for Samsung :)
    05-04-2013 01:47 PM
    They have only 9 gb, but that's space for apps, temps, maybe maps, caching and downloading updates too ... it does not take long that they have to remove apps or files to get their apps just updated ... how about OS OTA update ? (it is a big one) ... I think that they feel cheated soon ...
    Dazzi likes this.
    05-04-2013 01:56 PM
    My original reason for posting this was not to bash the S4 but to show something Nokia did right with the 920 flagship and that WP isn't the only OS that doesn't take full advantage of expandable memory.
    05-04-2013 02:00 PM
    ^^ Well, there are more Samsung Features on it than l920 or any other smartphone!! That's the whole S4 attraction(you can notice in their ads as well) for Samsung :)
    I don't care, I can live without those gimmicky features. The fact is there is only 9.15 storage available, and it would be no good for me -- everybody uses there phone differently.
    05-04-2013 02:10 PM
    I always tell people when they buy phones

8GB is nothing
    16GB is NEVER enough
    32GB is the Right size
    64GB feels amazing =)

I am also glad Nokia decided to give the 920 a 32GB storage, honestly I don't want to deal with an SD card at all.
    DavidinCT and Dazzi like this.
    05-04-2013 03:11 PM
    Lossless Audio eats space! Can't replace an iPOD Classic or Hitachi Gigabeat or Zune 30 with small hard drives.
    05-04-2013 06:33 PM
    The 16GB on the S4 was a killer for me. After hearing that that 16GB was actually ~9GB usable, there was no way I was going to get that version of the phone. One of the main draws of Android is its tinkerability (I think I just made up that word), so wanting to have lots of space to download apps is a no-brainer. 16GB is nothing, really...you can fill that up with MP3s and apps in no time flat.

The S4's 16GB vs. the Lumia 920's 32GB was one of the reasons I very recently went with the 920. I'm not a frothing Android fanboy nor an app addict, but I do need storage space for everything I download and carry around on my phone, regardless of cloud storage.
    Dazzi likes this.
    05-04-2013 10:50 PM
    I think the standard should slowly start to move towards 32GB as an entry level. It's no secret that how much they charge us (100 dollars more) compared to how much it costs in terms of production for a 32 GB is just a money grabbing scheme. If we're going to have 7-8 GB taken up by software and other features, it really doesn't leave much room. Especially if you don't have the option for an SD card or the fact apps can't be stored on an SD card.
    Dazzi likes this.
    05-04-2013 11:20 PM
    I always tell people when they buy phones

8GB is nothing
    16GB is NEVER enough
    32GB is the Right size
    64GB feels amazing =)

I am also glad Nokia decided to give the 920 a 32GB storage, honestly I don't want to deal with an SD card at all.

This is why I like the ATIV S. I can have 32GB internal and expandable up to 64GB to enjoy the best of both worlds.

It isn't a Samsung thing. No Android phones running the latest couple Android OS's can do it.
    This is an amazing disappointment. After having the full capability on my EVO3D, it was the only advantage I had listed to stick with Android vs making the switch to WP8. I don't like to root a new phone.
    05-04-2013 11:33 PM
    it is a Samsung thing. They improved the security of the s4 to make it a good choice for IT. And most companies don't offer android, because its malware prone.
    05-05-2013 05:24 AM
    I managed just fine with my N8 with 16gb. I did have a 2gb microsd that hosted most of my music, though. In two year everyday use I didn't manage to max it out and I never deleted videos/pics I took either. I recall though that S^3 was pretty lightweight in memory used, though, so out of that 16gb you had quite a bit of space free.
    05-05-2013 08:43 AM
    On Lumia 620 I've ran uot of space already, the fact that I can't put apps to the SD for security I agree but the 8GB is fill so fast (4GB usable) and I have any of my musics on It. at least I have a option to use a SD for media but less than 16GB for today app is a huge limit( I had to unintall Asphalt 7). Samsung option is good, install apps to internal memory( fast and secure) and use media on SD, nokia's 32GB is good to but for music lovers is not enough...
    05-06-2013 03:00 PM