Is your Windows password easy to crack? Find out

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't be the only one who feels weird about entering password info on a random site....Has it been proved to be safe by someone credible (like a major site)?

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
"It would take About 7 billion years for a desktop PC to crack your password."

Based on that, I'll set a reminder to change my password every billion years or so.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
The site calculates it in the browser, you don't submit data back to a server. It's all done locally on your PC in the browser window.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow 100 million years :cool: It was also a password I could actually remember too. Also not a password I'm actually using at the moment.

Desktop_2013_05_15_10_50_33_966.jpg

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Lol, while I probably believe that it's done client-side and the data never leaves the webpage, I'm still suspicious enough to not input my password there.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I WOULD ADVISE EVERYONE TO STAY AWAY FROM ANY SITE LIKE THIS!

When you develop websites, you know that there are easy ways to track every ip that visits the site. All they need to do is link an IP address with an email address and use the time you entered your password with the time your IP address visited the site. Your Microsoft ID is also linked to Xbox, SkyDrive, and every other Microsoft service. I would advise anyone that did this to change your password.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree that your advice is probably a good idea in general and most people shouldn't enter sensitive info into random websites. However, I can't think of any feasible way to link an IP address to an email address. They aren't related to each other in any way and IP addresses change often anyway. I also viewed the webpages source code (briefly) and I didn't see any obvious trickery or calls back to the server. Just in case though, I didn't actually use my exact password. I changed minor things that wouldn't affect the results (such as an 8 to a 9 or a "b" to an "r"), but render the "password" useless.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmmmmm I let the result speak for themselves I didn't either know you could get such a number.

Password.png

It would take About 580 quadrillion years for a desktop PC to crack your password.

Don't worry guys about my password being taken, I update once a year this is from last year.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree that your advice is probably a good idea in general and most people shouldn't enter sensitive info into random websites. However, I can't think of any feasible way to link an IP address to an email address. They aren't related to each other in any way and IP addresses change often anyway. I also viewed the webpages source code (briefly) and I didn't see any obvious trickery or calls back to the server. Just in case though, I didn't actually use my exact password. I changed minor things that wouldn't affect the results (such as an 8 to a 9 or a "b" to an "r"), but render the "password" useless.

Spammers and scammers are professionals. What I was trying to explain without being too technical is that when you email someone, your IP address is attached to your email. Lets say you just sent an email to person A and person A's email account was recently hacked. They will be able to retrieve both your email address and IP from the email you just sent person A. From there, they can match your IP address from the site and the password that you entered. Now this only works if you use the same IP for everything, such as a home or work PC. Don't get me wrong, only 1 out of 100 scenarios may be able to work using the above example...but why take that risk? I would rather have a 0% chance by not inputting my password anywhere else but where it needs to be. :)

Of course you can always use a fake or old password just for fun, but I wouldn't put any current password in there...

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Interesting thread. Lots of good comments. Hope mine can be added to them. So, I gave it a go. Kind of wishing I hadn't now after reading some of the posts. Anyway, I did it. I'm not sure I buy this. What I think is odd is this. My answer was something stupid like a million years. Yet the password I entered was only twelve characters long. I haven't done the maths admittedly but isn't that (no. of possible characters)^12 or something? Just counting the keys on my keyboard I think I could generate around 100 different characters. So, say 100^12. That doesn't even overflow the Windows Accessories Calculator. There is an assumption here and that's you're using a western keyboard. Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean characters and the like would add a whole new ball game. Given that the assumption might be a good start, what's the crack machine doing for the other 999,999 years?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss