Anyone else perplexed on where mobile computing is headed with size?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
5-7" cellphones? 7-9" tablets/PCs? It's like we did a complete 180 and heading back to the 80's and end up right where we started. I remember in the 90's it was a race to make the smallest cellphone and the largest PC screens. Now people want Zack Morris sized phones and PC screens that you can't do any real work on. What happened??? I should have cellphone chip implanted into my skull and a wall in my home that doubles as a PC by now. But nooooooo... people are forcing technology backwards.

:angry:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry, we're gonna come full circle.

bOfs28v.jpg

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Grass is always greener on the other side. Once everyone goes big screen and pant pockets turn into man purses things will switch back to small.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Greaaaaat... Now there's a Nokia Phablet? This reminds me of the 90s when everyone was buying SUVs and Hummers. What a waste of space and gas. It still had the same amount of passenger space as a regular sedan.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's not perplexing at all. A decade ago we didn't have smartphones. Mobile phones were devices to be used for calling, and texting was becoming popular as well. We only needed the screen to read a phone number, or a <140 character SMS. Manufacturers therefore made the devices as small as possible. Today, we use the screen. The more real estate the better (to a point).

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
That's a good point. With a smartphone. I wouldn't want anything below 4", but I don't wat anything above 4.5". I guess this is my sweet spot. I'm just worried that "high end" or "flagship" phone is going to equate to phablets. I don't want to get stuck with a mid range 4.5" phone. And seriously, I want a 17" tablet.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
5-7" cellphones? 7-9" tablets/PCs? It's like we did a complete 180 and heading back to the 80's and end up right where we started. I remember in the 90's it was a race to make the smallest cellphone and the largest PC screens. Now people want Zack Morris sized phones and PC screens that you can't do any real work on. What happened??? I should have cellphone chip implanted into my skull and a wall in my home that doubles as a PC by now. But nooooooo... people are forcing technology backwards.

:angry:

So completely agree. Consumer buying habits are throwing us back 20 years. Battery life is a similar issue...

I am thankful to Apple for one thing... at least they stopped the downward spiral in monitor quality. IPS panels and high resolution displays would otherwise have completely disappeared from the consumer space had Apple not "educated" people.

Last edited:

medway01

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope we dont go back to the early mobile phone days, brick sized white boxes with pull out antennas and a cart to pull the batttey around. It seems that while the circuit boards and chips are becomng smaller, the screens are increasing in size, if it carries on this way, soon the actual phone will fit inside your ear but the screens going to be on wheels !
You know those days are getting closer when people start to ask you if your pleased to see them or is that a phone on your pocket :winktongue:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I hope we dont go back to the early mobile phone days, brick sized white boxes with pull out antennas and a cart to pull the batttey around. It seems that while the circuit boards and chips are becomng smaller, the screens are increasing in size, if it carries on this way, soon the actual phone will fit inside your ear but the screens going to be on wheels !
You know those days are getting closer when people start to ask you if your pleased to see them or is that a phone on your pocket :winktongue:

Hopefully, they com out with flexible OLED screens several manufacturers (mostly TV) have been showing off the last few years. I wouldn't mind an 8" (as an example) screen that can fold down to a 4" screen. Anyone remember these concepts im referring too? Nokia and I believe MS released YouTube videos with similar ideas.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I hardly think that the new technology today is going backwards. It's meeting the demand of high resolution screens while providing a reasonable size to view media. The old mobile phones you are referring to were not smartphones. The smartphone was originally a combination of PDA and mobile phone technology. No PDA was small otherwise it would have been useless. You can still buy small mobile phones but don't expect much from them other than calling, texting, camera and maybe, if you're lucky, email.

My hope is with the new flexible technologies that are emerging and the thiner electronics that are being developed we'll return to more compact but powerful devices, maybe even with adjustable screens sizes instead of fixed. Keep in mind we're still at the very early stages of this technology and a lot has been done in a short time if you think about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb