What do you use Linux for?

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi, what do you use linux for?
I was looking at the home screen today and all I could think was what do I do now? Also wondering why I was interested in it when i saw it for the first time.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, what do you use linux for?
I use Linux for the same things I use Windows.
I was looking at the home screen today and all I could think was what do I do now? Also wondering why I was interested in it when i saw it for the first time.
Which distro are you running?

Which desktop are you running?

Which particular types of software do you use in Windows? Chances are, there are Linux versions of software or alternative software for Linux that will provide same or similar functionality as in Windows. If you mention what you need, those of us who use Linux will be able to provide recommendations.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ubuntu 12.04.2 I really don't like that I can go into the windows partition and access the files. Also Also tried to use mac buntu to skin it apple style and it didn't work. Also google chrome doesn't install.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Ubuntu is a good OS, and linux in general. Problem is that there are still too many things that require terminal. This isn't a problem for IT guys when running it as servers or other work related uses, but for the average joe, it can be intimidating and frustrating. Also, so many things work out of the box in Windows with having to install anything (or by installing one program) that it doesn't take much brains to do it. In Ubuntu, a lot of things do work very well, but not nearly with the same compatibility as Windows. I find one that video cards often will have issues, AMD esp.

I enjoy the UI's (not Unity but most of the others commonly used). I also find the idea of repositories easy and simple. There are a lot of other things that I like also! But when it comes down to it, Windows runs everything I could want, Linux doesn't.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it has come a long way since (ubuntu) i tried it out for the first time
i use it for pretty much everything i use windows for, but i've gotten rid of it lately because i dont need it.

it's speedy and light (pretty much any distro i tried) and can replace windows for the either, really advanced or really simple user.

even if you don't use it - it's great for system recovery in the event of something catastrophic in the windows side

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking about that. I'm trying to find a reason to use it. It needs improvement in the looks department. I didn't find it to a hassle to use, but there some bugs. I do like that it comes with some kind of ms office counterpart right out if the box. I like that it has that Spotify feature. It is simpler than windows. I wish you tweak the theme. I don't know I cant justify keeping it on my laptop. But is there a way to not have the option to go into the windows partition? Also does guest session also give option to do that? I'm far from the computer, so can't check.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I guess it has come a long way since I've seen someone typing a command years ago for it to just shut down. It needed a command for running the disk drive.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have Ubuntu on a partition. My only use is for playing with webOS devices. I am watching Canonical's progress with Ubuntu Touch, looks promising.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I started using Linux when my Windows 3.1 floppies corrupted and I didn't have the $80 to buy new 3.1 floppies. I started with RedHat 3.0 or 4.0 " Colgate edition. I got it at the library.. Everything was done from the shell back then. I wrote a lot of scripts back then for getting dialup modems to work with Linux. U.S. Robotics (when they existed) contacted me about using my scripts.

I still play with Linux today. My main laptop runs Win8 64bit and LinuxMint 64 bit.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I used Linux for a while when I was in university. It was more of a hobby type thing rather than something I would use for daily work. There are some things I love about Linux like the speed and straightforwardness but other things that were incredibly frustrating.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Ubuntu is a good OS, and linux in general. Problem is that there are still too many things that require terminal. This isn't a problem for IT guys when running it as servers or other work related uses, but for the average joe, it can be intimidating and frustrating. Also, so many things work out of the box in Windows with having to install anything (or by installing one program) that it doesn't take much brains to do it. In Ubuntu, a lot of things do work very well, but not nearly with the same compatibility as Windows. I find one that video cards often will have issues, AMD esp.

I enjoy the UI's (not Unity but most of the others commonly used). I also find the idea of repositories easy and simple. There are a lot of other things that I like also! But when it comes down to it, Windows runs everything I could want, Linux doesn't.

This post is true for me too. I really enjoyed Kubuntu on my laptop, but at the end of the day, constant struggling with my wireless cards, WINE, etc became a little too much. If, in this case, everything worked out of the box then I would happily go back to Kubuntu, unfortunately I lack the skill set to use linux on a daily basis.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So how much space do you give Linux? I mean how big is the partition and how big is the Ubuntu OS? I want to shrink it. Beside the size if the OS I want it to have only 5 GB of space.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05