What do you use Linux for?

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree its nicer and has some sleek animations. But why would I buy that for only one forum when board express supports multiple? The only problem I have with it is that the search function to look up forums doesn't work.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree its nicer and has some sleek animations. But why would I buy that for only one forum when board express supports multiple? The only problem I have with it is that the search function to look up forums doesn't work.

To me, it is well worth it considering it is a lot easier to get around and I use it A LOT. Also, WPCentral app includes all the story/blog posts. If you spend much time on this site, it is well worth the money.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Its just a dollar. I'm not concerned about the money. I had the foroplex beta. I was good but don't like reading small text. No I barely read anything in this site. I know that WP is progressing nicely and some threads have some news stories attached. I have a bigger interest in cars and learning in how to behave like an ***.
So with the computer specs I've given how much should I give to the Linux partition?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
From Ubuntu's site: [h=2]Absolute Requirements[/h]
The required disk space for an out-of-the-box Ubuntu installation is said to be 15 GB. However, that does not take into account the space needed for a file-system or a swap partition.
It is more realistic to give yourself a little bit more than 15 GB of space. Give yourself 15-25 GB to have some space left for actually doing things. If your file-system is full to the brim, you will feel some performance loss. A certain percentage of an ext3 file-system is dedicated to root, as a way of preventing a rogue process from filling the disk to the point that the system is unusable. This dedicated portion is 5% by default. Also, the anti-fragmentation strategies used by Linux file-systems require that the disk is not close to full. A rule of thumb is to keep them less than 90% full.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to keep in mind is that you will need to fix mbr if you decide that you do not want Linux. When Linux is installed, Grub2 is the bootloader, not mbr. With no Linux, Windows will not boot. You need a Windows system repair disk to fix mbr after uninstalling Linux.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I normally use 30 to 40 GB not counting the space windows 8 takes up. I was thinking 10gb. 15 to 25 is a bit too generous.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Is it like Ubuntu, i mean come with some kind of office rip off? Also can it be skinned to look like mac?

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Does it have the same ease of use? I mean i just want it to be simple. I just have the time to fidel with the registry and all that, had almost a decade of experience with that crap.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Puppy is meant to be light weight. When I used it for a little bit, I found it no harder than Ubuntu. That said, Ubuntu has TONS of documentation and forums for it though.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If you want, search small linux distro on bing. Also, distrowatch.com lists about even linux distro you can find and rates how popular they are from a downloads perspective.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I installed it, then killed it off, restored the mbr and reclaimed the unallocated space. And still yet I miss it. Even though all i did was type word documents.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You'll like it. :cool:
I do! It's better than Ubuntu. I don't like Unity, but Mate is nice.

I did not have to look for printer drivers on the vendor's (Brother) website and install the printer drivers. Mint recognized the printer immediately.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05