any tips for buying used phones?

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a Lumia 920 or 928, -off-contract. Buying off-contract I'd be willing to pay full price, new would be great as I'd be assured new condition. But to save a few bucks I'm considering looking into buying used, here on this forum, or Craigslist or eBay. Would prefer someone local who I can meet somewhere (in public, bank or ATT store) and check out the phone in person. Any tips on what to look for, what to ask, etc. My biggest concern would be the phone being bricked, features being blocked or completely locked by the carrier somehow, either due to unpaid balance on previous customers account, or being reported stolen or whatever. If buying a used phone should I just call the carrier from the phone to verify it's legit? Any settings I can check on the phone? Anything else I haven't thought of that I need to look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: tips for buying used phones

Buying on Ebay is safer considering if the person lies about something, there is a way to get your money back.

As far as Craigslist, I would meet the person at the AT&t (920) or Verizon (928) store and ask the people there to look up the phone to make sure that it is safe as far as being networked blocked. Then have the person show that it charges wirelessly and through the usb port. Also, try out the buttons and make sure they respond. You should be good if you do all that.

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
oops. Off topic, really? I thought The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade, was the proper place for this thread. Sorry if I was wrong.
If anything this should be a sticky thread in The Marketplace.

Last edited:

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The marketplace is for buying and selling using the templates. But you were looking for information and I wanted to put it somewhere that people could see and help. If you think it would do better in another forum, please say so and it can be moved to there. Would you prefer the Windows Phone 8 forum?

And I'll mention it to the powers that be about the sticky idea.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Ebay and Amazon are the most secure places to buy (Ebay depends on the seller) an off contract phone. If not you can buy it here on "The Marketplace" they have some good prices sometimes.. Right now the cheapest 920 is $250 from a well respected seller (Gazelle Store). I buy from Gazelle regularly they often have the best prices and are 100% trustworthy (at least in my experience). They have a 14 day return windows.. Also add Squaretrade to your purchases that gives you warranty just in case..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb