Did you know...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Presenting all the facts, trivias and lot more about our beloved Windows Phone 8.

Let me begin by something I learned recently...

the word Lumia means Ice in Finnish.

Share fun facts or anything u learned about Windows Phone 8 here ...

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Presenting all the facts, trivias and lot more about our beloved Windows Phone 8.

Let me begin by something I learned recently...

the word Lumia means Ice in Finnish.

Share fun facts or anything u learned about Windows Phone 8 here ...

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Lumi, from which Lumia is derived, is actually Finnish for snow. As far as I know, Lumia is its quantitative plural form.

And, while we're at it: Jolla means dinghy in Finnish.
Lankku, the codename for the N9, means plank in Finnish.
Asha apparently means hope in a certain language (I forgot)

And, Ovi (the former name of all Nokia services, maps, mail, etc.) means door in Finnish.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but you're wrong.

Lumi, from which Lumia is derived, is actually Finnish for snow. As far as I know, Lumia is its quantitative plural form.

And, while we're at it: Jolla means dinghy in Finnish.
Lankku, the codename for the N9, means plank in Finnish.
Asha apparently means hope in Hindu (if I'm not wrong)

And, Ovi (the former name of all Nokia services, maps, mail, etc.) means door in Finnish.

Yep, Asha is Hope in Hindi, I heard people saying "Nokia ki aakhri asha" which translates to "Nokia's last hope".

So the Plank 9 never officially made it to India.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep, Asha is Hope in Hindi, I heard people saying "Nokia ki aakhri asha" which translates to "Nokia's last hope".

So the Plank 9 never officially made it to India.
Hmm. Nokia's last hope is for ice-cold snow to sell red-hot.
That makes a lot of sense.

OR:
Nokia's last hope is to sell hope.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. Nokia's last hope is for ice-cold snow to sell red-hot.
That makes a lot of sense.

Asha doesn't really sell well over here tbh, people prefer low end androids instead of asha, whatsapp is the main cause. Altough Nokia has launched whatsapp phones, but there are people who follow the heard and buy a low end android thinking they can install tons of apps, but with rat a** hardware config they end up crying over its performance.
On the other hand wp8 sales have picked up in India, specially the lower end models, Nokia is not currently advertising 720 at all, I do see ads of 520 and 620 showing how they complete 5 tasks in 2.5 minutes (the ad is actually crammed up a lot)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Also, here's a tidbit for all of you: if you look around in the movie Fast & Furious 6, you'll find a couple on Nokia Symbian phones in it. (Like the E6)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Asha doesn't really sell well over here tbh, people prefer low end androids instead of asha, whatsapp is the main cause. Altough Nokia has launched whatsapp phones, but there are people who follow the heard and buy a low end android thinking they can install tons of apps, but with rat a** hardware config they end up crying over its performance.
On the other hand wp8 sales have picked up in India, specially the lower end models, Nokia is not currently advertising 720 at all, I do see ads of 520 and 620 showing how they complete 5 tasks in 2.5 minutes (the ad is actually crammed up a lot)

>Asha 501
>Swipe UI
>Multitasking
The game changer. Just get Qt on it and it'll sell a ton.
>Lumia 520
>WP8
>Smoother than Project Butter (sorry, couldn't resist)
Make enough and advertise enough and it'll sell a ton.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
U got me man...u got me! I admit that was very clumsy at the translating...Ice..Snow..? What was I thinking? hehe,.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos