04-25-2014 05:55 AM
47 12
tools
    Forgot about this thread, had some heavy work load at office and a trip planned in mid july so will be getting it once I come back from the trip :)
    I checked theguitarlesson.com and justinguitar.com for instructional videos.
    06-26-2013 05:46 AM
    Sorta offtopic, but I just ordered myself a harmonica.. Something about those has always interested me. While I would probably benefit a lot more if I just learned to play the guitar well first, but harpists are so few that there is something interesting about it. I never quite felt guitar as my instrument anyways..
    07-02-2013 04:26 PM
    Sorta offtopic, but I just ordered myself a harmonica.. Something about those has always interested me. While I would probably benefit a lot more if I just learned to play the guitar well first, but harpists are so few that there is something interesting about it. I never quite felt guitar as my instrument anyways..
    You need to have good lungs to play it ;)
    A chap advised me locally to play flute, and I considered it very very cheap to do lol. It may be hippy abroad, over here its cheap, unless you are a flute ninja or something like that :D
    07-03-2013 03:35 AM
    Don't think the lungs are a huge problem, I sing a lot, so I've sort of learned the proper breathing techniques already.
    07-03-2013 03:54 AM
    Don't think the lungs are a huge problem, I sing a lot, so I've sort of learned the proper breathing techniques already.
    The last time I had to sing (because I signed in late), I had to close my eyes because my voice was horrible :p.
    Pal advised me to learn singing too, I was shying away lol.
    07-03-2013 03:57 AM
    The last time I had to sing (because I signed in late), I had to close my eyes because my voice was horrible :p.
    Pal advised me to learn singing too, I was shying away lol.
    I think I can sing OK, but not when I have to carry the tune alone cos I get too nervous and I can't hold it together :P I work for the church and usually theres the designated singer/player, but there has been a few cases when I've had to carry those hymns alone and while even on record I can sing OK, that wasn't good at all lol.
    07-04-2013 04:37 AM
    Purchased a Fender CD 60 yesterday, paid approx USD 175 for it.
    I was actually looking for a cheapo guitar to learn, band and bash and then move to a professional level guitar. But boy, when the sales rep strummed this baby it sounded terribly sweet.
    There were 2 colors, A natural (Cream) and Sunburst, opted for the sunburst.

Now here is a situation I am facing, in standard tuning, I find it difficult to play the D Chord :(, when I place the fingers 1 string sounds buzzy and if they sound fine I find it terribly hard to keep my fingers in place.

Am 5.9~ and bought the full size one, any ideas anyone? or its just that this is happening because am a beginner?
    07-22-2013 11:55 PM
    Purchased a Fender CD 60 yesterday, paid approx USD 175 for it.
    I was actually looking for a cheapo guitar to learn, band and bash and then move to a professional level guitar. But boy, when the sales rep strummed this baby it sounded terribly sweet.
    There were 2 colors, A natural (Cream) and Sunburst, opted for the sunburst.

Now here is a situation I am facing, in standard tuning, I find it difficult to play the D Chord :(, when I place the fingers 1 string sounds buzzy and if they sound fine I find it terribly hard to keep my fingers in place.
    Am 5.9~ and bought the full size one, any ideas anyone? or its just that this is happening because am a beginner?
    Probably best to take it to a Luthier and have him check the neck and action. Had to take my Dreadnought in for neck bowing and lowering the action. Now she plays sweeter than ever .

07-24-2013 11:55 AM
    Some update is that my fingers stretched on day 2 a bit easier than on day 1.
    Now if I try to hold 2 strings on fret 1 and 1 string on fret 3, i find difficulties, am not sure if I purchased the wrong size or the action is high or its about practice?
    I do know it'll take a lot of practice and pain, but am just a bit uncomfortable with the fingers not stretching at this point, strings buzzing after being strummed or being muted.

Hard to catch a Luthier over here, will see though.
    07-25-2013 12:40 AM
    I am learning from multiple videos and learned to strum Em, G, Asus2, A and D chords :), they all sound clean.
    07-27-2013 01:24 AM
    I'm turning 44 next month and I took up guitar last year. If I can learn to play guitar, ANYONE can! Learn a few chords and then find some peeps to jam with. It makes practicing much more tolerable..lol!
    07-30-2013 06:26 AM
    I'm turning 44 next month and I took up guitar last year. If I can learn to play guitar, ANYONE can! Learn a few chords and then find some peeps to jam with. It makes practicing much more tolerable..lol!
    Hard to find jammers here :D, besides am not a very outgoing kind of person.
    At what level do you consider yourself now in terms of playing guitar?
    07-31-2013 02:31 AM
    Hard to find jammers here :D, besides am not a very outgoing kind of person.
    At what level do you consider yourself now in terms of playing guitar?
    I still consider myself a beginner. I'd be further along if I practiced like I should. With two kids, my time alone is limited. I try and practice 2-3 times a week for about an hour or two. If you want to get really good though, I would suggest practicing at least 2 hours every day. I know I won't ever be a rockstar..lol! It's just a cool hobby.
    07-31-2013 05:31 AM
    I still consider myself a beginner. I'd be further along if I practiced like I should. With two kids, my time alone is limited. I try and practice 2-3 times a week for about an hour or two. If you want to get really good though, I would suggest practicing at least 2 hours every day. I know I won't ever be a rockstar..lol! It's just a cool hobby.
    I see, I practice around 30-40 minutes a day, still working on a few basic chords and strumming, then it'll be making chord switching. Its a bit hard at this point but am not frustrated as the noise that comes out of the guitar is so clean :). I practice at night, lock my room so nobody's disturbed and nobody disturbs me either.
    I don't wish to be a rockstar either but its good to know how to play as a way to pass spare time and refresh mind :).

P.S. - I saw some sick picks at etsy.com, some made of wood, brass, sterling silver etc., some personalized as well, did you look at those?
    07-31-2013 05:56 AM
    I see, I practice around 30-40 minutes a day, still working on a few basic chords and strumming, then it'll be making chord switching. Its a bit hard at this point but am not frustrated as the noise that comes out of the guitar is so clean :). I practice at night, lock my room so nobody's disturbed and nobody disturbs me either.
    I don't wish to be a rockstar either but its good to know how to play as a way to pass spare time and refresh mind :).

P.S. - I saw some sick picks at etsy.com, some made of wood, brass, sterling silver etc., some personalized as well, did you look at those?
    That's pretty much the only reason I wanted to learn. Just to say I could and it's fun to strum some basic tunes at parties and get your friends singing along. I do need to make a point of practicing more diligently. If you don't already have one, I would suggest a finger strengthener. I use one while I sit at work all day and it has really helped me become better at fingering chords. Also the one I have has these little ridged caps that develop and help maintain calleous on my fingertips, which is hard for me because I have soft girly hands..lol! I haven't looked at any of the picks on Etsy, but I did buy some custom Star Wars guitar straps because I'm a SW dork. :-)
    07-31-2013 11:34 AM
    That's pretty much the only reason I wanted to learn. Just to say I could and it's fun to strum some basic tunes at parties and get your friends singing along. I do need to make a point of practicing more diligently. If you don't already have one, I would suggest a finger strengthener. I use one while I sit at work all day and it has really helped me become better at fingering chords. Also the one I have has these little ridged caps that develop and help maintain calleous on my fingertips, which is hard for me because I have soft girly hands..lol! I haven't looked at any of the picks on Etsy, but I did buy some custom Star Wars guitar straps because I'm a SW dork. :-)
    I love the way it is designed, know nothing how it'd sound on strings, Wood Guitar Pick with Thumbgrip Blackwood & Osage by WoodRecycled
    You may want to add me on FB, probably we could help each other :p

As to finger strengthener, are you referring to this? - GRIPMASTER HAND & FINGER EXERCISER STRENGTHENER -MEDIUM | eBay

I don't have girly hands but do have a big palm :/, could you show me whats that ridged caps thing?
    07-31-2013 12:02 PM
    Go for it!! I tried to learn guitar but did stick with it! My brother plays, maybe he will teach me again! :)
    xsentrick likes this.
    07-31-2013 01:30 PM
    I love the way it is designed, know nothing how it'd sound on strings, Wood Guitar Pick with Thumbgrip Blackwood & Osage by WoodRecycled
    You may want to add me on FB, probably we could help each other :p

As to finger strengthener, are you referring to this? - GRIPMASTER HAND & FINGER EXERCISER STRENGTHENER -MEDIUM | eBay

I don't have girly hands but do have a big palm :/, could you show me whats that ridged caps thing?
    Those are some pretty cool looking picks! Not sure I'd want to pay $13 for one, but cool looking none the less. What's your FB URL? I'll friend ya!

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Here is a pic of mine with the caps on the finger pads.
    wp_20130731_002.jpg
    07-31-2013 01:37 PM
    Ukulele or baritone ukulele are great choices too. You can practice hours and hours without getting tired. Also, try Cifra Club Tuner on WP. It's an absolute gem!
    07-31-2013 01:53 PM
    @xsentrick

I will get that thing soon :), am afraid about the pinky not being able to press the buttons :p.
    Sending you a PM with my FB url.

Thanks,
    07-31-2013 11:39 PM
    Dude, learn the cowbell. It's a chick magnet! You can't have enough cowbell.
    HAHAHA, that's pretty funny.

I am looking to pick up guitar playing as well my kid sister started playing, so I would play her guitar (lent by her school) but then she had a natural affinity for the piano. So I bought her an electronic keyboard for her birthday so she switched to the piano. The only regret I have.. I miss playing on the damn guitar now! lol
    08-01-2013 09:39 PM
    By the way use my app, for guitar tabs view/download/stream etc.

It lets you to view/download + sync tabs with OneDrive and stream the corresponding songs through Soundcloud:

Phone Guitar Tab

It supports Guitar Pro Format:
    Attachment 64263

Streams the music from SoundCloud and has autoscroll etc.
    Attachment 64264

Has Live Tile support with album art:
    Attachment 64265
    04-25-2014 05:55 AM
47 12