Made in the US!!!

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Read the link below. CNN reported that the new Motorola Moto X smartphone is going to be made in Texas at a half a million square foot manufacturing site. 70% of the phones are going to be made there!
IBM Lenovo also announced that they will be build a manufacturing plant in north Carolina !!
Even APPLE are going to start making Macintosh computers in the US. Again!! A Motorola exec even said that this may be an end to high, greedy profit margin Apple has long enjoyed!
Motorola's Moto X phone to be made in the U.S. - CNN.com
I know im from the UK but this is very VERY good news which is long over due. Where and how something is made these days, especially smartphone and computers is something we tend to ignore but this will now put the pride back in western US manufacturing. A breath of fresh air. Maybe this will encourage other manufacturers to bring production back home, possibly leading to better quality products. This may even swing some people, possibly me to actually by American assembled, even if it is android of an Apple product!

What do you guys think of this? Am I going over the top? Or are you guys as excited and relieved as I am ?

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You ignored one juicy bit of info.
That Motorola plant...used to belong to Nokia.
I know. I'm a where. Apparently that was during the 1990's when the Nokia phones said on them "Designed and Made by Nokia". The factory is owned by Flextronics of Singapore who used to make the Zune's and currently make the XBOX 360, or at least some of them.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really bothered where most products are made. Buying something out of some kind of national pride seems odd to me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really bothered where most products are made. Buying something out of some kind of national pride seems odd to me.

The exception for me would be flags of various countries. I'd expect US flag to be made in US, Chinese flag to be made in China, French flag to be made in France, etc.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was listening to NPR, and they were talking about how there is a trend starting of manufacturing moving from China to Mexico. Apparently wages are close enough now between the two that it is cheaper to make things in Mexico than China in a lot of cases when you consider other factors like shipping cost between markets. This should help the US manufacturing. I could see companies doing a good portion of making a product in Mexico and then doing some in the US, allowing them to say stuff like assembled in the US.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This is pretty cool, I tend to follow these sorts of things and in the past few years there's been a come back,to the US, always happy when I hear it. Also it is nice that things are going to Mexico also, I would hope that helps stabilize things there a bit.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Quality control and standards may also be higher if these, lets face it complex items are made in the US or Mexico than China. Fox news once managed to get into foxconn, the part of foxconn that make the ipads and they said that no one looked above 30, sort of maybe late teens early 20. Maybe the US and Mexican workers would be better trained with better manufacturing equipment.

I know foxconn has had its fair share of quality problems regarding poor soldering of the iPhones, which is why they have fitted xray machines to asses each and every one that leaves the factory.

Also Apple has been pushed to do something about the suicide related deaths at foxconn of people making I products, maybe shifting some of the production closer to home will somehow make Apple appear better in the eyes of the public, who knows.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

This is quoted from what someone commented on the CNN report, and I agree with them to be honest.

" If you buy American-made products, you:

-- Employ an American, helping to decrease unemployment.

-- Add a person to our tax roles, helping to decrease our federal tax deficit.

-- Help an American to make their mortgage payments, reducing the number of bankruptcies and foreclosures.

-- Add another consumer to our economy who then can afford to buy other products and services, helping to fuel more economic growth.

Or, you can buy from abroad, and have all of the opposite effects "

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Let's remember that Nokia used to manufacture almost half of it's high end phones in Finland up until last fall, too :p

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
....Or, you can buy from abroad, and have all of the opposite effects "

...and don't think this doesn't happen overseas. There are hundreds of cases of child labor reported every year.

amaxza.gif

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Let's remember that Nokia used to manufacture almost half of it's high end phones in Finland up until last fall, too :p

I know! That is such a shame. All of the Nokia phone I had before my 920 were all made in Finland to a really high quality, and I don't doubt the quality of their current ones but Nokia were one of the last manufacturers to make their phones in their home country. Even the Nokias that were made in China were made by Nokia themselves in Nokia factories, now they are contracted to Foxconn.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

For me, it's not so much national pride as it is a humanitarian thing. If it's made in the US at least you know that the workers have reasonable pay and working conditions. And workers tend to perform better when they aren't under extreme pressure, so hopefully the quality will be improved as well. Everybody wins!

I didn't think we'd ever get back to making electronics in the US, so this is some pretty cool news.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077