So it is out now that the NSA is tracking every phone call on Verizon. They say they aren't tracking the content of the call, but they are tracking some pretty detailed specifics about each call. The justification is to look for patterns of terrorists.

What are your thoughts? Is this an invasion of privacy? Is it necessary for public safety? Would you switch carriers?

***Let's not degrade to simple bashing administration/organizations/agencies/people. Let's keep this at the level of the ideas and principals involved.***
    06-06-2013 02:05 PM
    Lets start with the obvious. The fact that Verizon is doing this has been released. Its almost certain that att, tmo and sprint are onboard as well.

I think it is disgusting and overreaching. The NSA has unbelievable amounts of storage, so this data is nor being scanned and discarded. I think the NSA is storing this information long term to track people.

I don't think I'm being crazy or tin foil hat. I think its part of the ongoing erosion of personal privacy.
    06-06-2013 04:00 PM
    Lets start with the obvious. The fact that Verizon is doing this has been released. Its almost certain that att, tmo and sprint are onboard as well.

I think it is disgusting and overreaching. The NSA has unbelievable amounts of storage, so this data is nor being scanned and discarded. I think the NSA is storing this information long term to track people.

I don't think I'm being crazy or tin foil hat. I think its part of the ongoing erosion of personal privacy.
    Apparently, they have been doing this for 7 years. So that spans administrations. The problem is 1) Terrorists don't sign up with Verizon. Think about it. 2) Numerous lawmakers knew about this program and never said anything. 3) The NSA has no oversight really. Who knows what they're doing with the data? 4) If I suddenly stop posting...
    06-06-2013 10:30 PM
    This is big on the news right now. Why is anyone shocked by this given the Patriot Act? Doesn't anyone remember them going to grocery store chains asking for records to see if you were eating food from a certain region of the world?

There's nothing I say, or email or look at on the internet that will cause a black helicopter to start circling my house. Is it an invasion privacy? Sure it is, but there is nothing I do that will raise a flag.

My 2 cents.
    Laura Knotek, thed and jmshub like this.
    06-06-2013 11:22 PM