Growing Android Market: Treat for MSFT

vichuhit

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
No really!!,
i know there are many hard-core WP fans out there (me too) and i was irritated when despite all amazing features in our OS is outdriven by a "free" OS made(actually bought!!) by some ad-driven search engine ;->. The people opt out WP cuz there are no sufficient app ecosystem, and the developers opt out of developing apps cuz there isn't an enough user base. What the hell!!
Microsoft can kill android and make way for their newly revamped OS in market. With the major player out of the arena, WP can grow well. But they won't, Why??
i did some analysis on why MS is reluctant to shutdown android completely,
Actually MS both can and can't do it,
for everyone who is completely ignorant how it is even possible on the first hand, let me tell something.
The android OS infringes many of Microsoft's patents. i can't tell what are they. Microsoft never revealed them publicly, but they are believed to be over the technology in security, file management, web browsing(not exactly) and finally MS EAS (Exchange ActiveSync, a technology of pushing emails, calendar and contacts from servers to mobiles).
Microsoft can sue all the developers of mobiles who use android as their OS over these patent infringements. Google can do nothing about it. "Android is free and open, but you?re on your own if someone sues", this is their word(Not official one :p). in fact google is being sued by the Microsoft over these same patents(their subsidiary "Motorola mobility" devices, so to say).
In past years, Microsoft signed a cross-licensing deal with a dozen of major android mobile developers(such as Samsung, HTC, ZTE etc.) so they can use android on their mobiles. In return they have to pay royalty for Microsoft on each device they ship. Microsoft never revealed the numbers involved here also.(Business ethics, i guess :p).
By all these contracts 80% of all android devices shipped in the US and majority of android devices all around the world comes under Microsoft deal. imagine atleast $1 is payed to MS for each device shipped, it is a huge sum. Rumour is that Samsung pays $15 for each device shipped. (The sum would be in billions of dollars per annum, but thats not our concern here ;-))
In other words, Microsoft earns more (much more) profit from Android than the Windows phone. Now now, would they kill android for the sake of WP and hope it reaps same amount of money as android does now. i doubt it.

vichuhit

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft can't kill Android.
They can stop major OEMs from creating android devices by litigating them on a court. Samsung and others knows this well too, thats why they decided not to go court over this and signed a deal with microsoft. They know they can't win Microsoft over this infringement on patents, this deal confirms it. If there is no one to build devices with android, doesn't that mean android is killed. But you can be sure Microsoft won't do that. but they can if they want to.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know all the legal stuff, but Microsoft is partners with most of these companies in other ventures so even if they could, they wouldn't.

Jack Larson1

May 18, 2013
Visit site
If not kill, then seriously cripple android. Dang, email/notification center as well as others.
some1 was an ***** for infringing certain patents... Ouch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster