Dual boot Windows 8 and Android Whut?????

John Balacano

May 2, 2013
Visit site
ativq1_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

credit to : Tom Warren of TheVerge

I really dont get laptops this days where they dual boot windows 8 and android DONT BUY THIS THINGS !!!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why anyone would purchase such a laptop. I dual-boot Windows 8 and Linux, but rather than buying something with Linux or Android pre-installed, I'd rather just partition/format the drive and install Linux or Android myself.

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
it does not look like a dual boot thing, it looks more like android is running in an application. I think its virtualised. For me, I see no benefit in this, you still have to start up windows to be able to use android won't you??

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely not dual-boot, because then you wouldn't see the W8 charms bar on the right. It's just a VM that runs Android on the Desktop.

BlueStacks has allowed us to do this already for a while now. Any PC can do it.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I see a use for this on tablet/convertible windows devices. As the new Samsung computer showed, having Android virtualized can add some missing pieces to Windows devices that are going to be primarily used with touch. Windows Store is rather pathetic overall. It is growing but not enough to compare in the tablet market. There are plenty of Android apps that can be replace by IE, but having a dedicated touch app would be a lot better. Having the option to pin an android app to the start screen and just use it like another app would be very useful until a native Windows version comes out. This, to me, is the only situation where it would be useful. I don't think it makes any sense to use the whole gui/setup/whatever of Android, just the apps.

And I have tried bluestacks many times and I still think it isn't that great.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I see a use for this on tablet/convertible windows devices. As the new Samsung computer showed, having Android virtualized can add some missing pieces to Windows devices that are going to be primarily used with touch. Windows Store is rather pathetic overall. It is growing but not enough to compare in the tablet market. There are plenty of Android apps that can be replace by IE, but having a dedicated touch app would be a lot better. Having the option to pin an android app to the start screen and just use it like another app would be very useful until a native Windows version comes out. This, to me, is the only situation where it would be useful. I don't think it makes any sense to use the whole gui/setup/whatever of Android, just the apps.

And I have tried bluestacks many times and I still think it isn't that great.
That would be more useful to me in RT, rather than Windows 8. I don't think Windows 8 really needs apps as much as RT, since desktop software could be run. But I agree with you that it could be a really useful feature for RT until more apps are available for RT. Unfortunately, the RT locked bootloader would not permit this option.

Jack Larson1

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I may be completely wrong on this, but won't it have little space because of two OS and burn through battery because of android? Anyone else know or have an opinion??

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely not dual-boot, because then you wouldn't see the W8 charms bar on the right. It's just a VM that runs Android on the Desktop.

BlueStacks has allowed us to do this already for a while now. Any PC can do it.

Thats the exact same thought that came to my mind :), altough I do not own or have played with a w8 tablet but that window bar on the right should have been absent.
To me it looks more like a wallpaper screenshot taken on some android tablet and stickied on the surface :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro