What can manufacturers do to make the desktop exciting again?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Desktops are still out there, people still buy them and yet websites almost never talk desktop computers anymore. Not surprising considering it's been a long time since we've seen something unique from a computer manufacture. Companies keep repackaging the same idea, a mishmash CPU/GPU all wrapped in a standard black box with front ports. Just look at this video demo of one of HP's desktops. They are actually advertising front ports. Clearly there must be some sort of innovation left for desktop computers.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do not see any desktop innovation other than BYO. Nowadays, most people do not choose a desktop unless they need a customized PC with higher-end specs for gaming. Otherwise, portability is preferred.

If I were to get a new desktop, it wouldn't be something I'd buy prebuilt. I'd build my own PC.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I think there is innovation open for the Desktop PC, but it's being consumed by other types of technology.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the desktop will be replaced with AIOs. Imagine a 17" and larger Surface-type AIO. :)

I wouldn't bother with an AIO desktop. If that's what I wanted, I'd get a laptop or tablet.

IMHO, what makes a desktop a desktop is the ability to upgrade and customize hardware. AIOs are like laptops/tablets; little to no customization is available.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't bother with an AIO desktop. If that's what I wanted, I'd get a laptop or tablet.

IMHO, what makes a desktop a desktop is the ability to upgrade and customize hardware. AIOs are like laptops/tablets; little to no customization is available.
Only difference with AIO compared to laptops, its practical to have an AIO with 20" screens. Not so practical for laptops if over 17".

But yes, I agree, the lines between AIO and laptops are beginning to blur.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, one example is the all in ones that can be used as a Tablet and has Android and Windows 8, like the ASUS AiO.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the fence on this one. On one hand, I think the OEMs are doing what needs to be done with regards to experimenting with form factors. We are seeing fresh takes, and as some of you have stated already, the AiO seems like the solution some OEMs are leaning towards.

On the other hand, I am seeing the desktop and Microsoft in general going through a transition. General consumers are looking more to mobile/tablets, since those products meet their needs. Why need something like AiO for general web browsing, video, email etc. And the way these devices can link to TVs, it's no longer really an issue about screen size anymore.

While advances in tech mean more powerful tablets/mobile devices, at the same time, current desktops may be fine for the general consumers needs. So the task then is how to make the modern desktops more compelling again. The AiO can address that with the touch interface and perhaps slight space saving over a regular tower PC.

I also agree with Laura too. There is an area such as the BYO (modders, enthusiasts, overclockers), the professional market (designers, engineers etc) and gamers, where the desktop is still relevant. But this group is more niche. Can the OEMs really target some gamers, when for the most part they can fall under BYO.

It's an interesting discussion and I certainly will be on the desktop side of things since it is my preferred platform for gaming as well as the fact I like to tinker with it. We'll see how the market reacts as OEMs continue to refine their ideas.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I do not see any desktop innovation other than BYO. Nowadays, most people do not choose a desktop unless they need a customized PC with higher-end specs for gaming. Otherwise, portability is preferred.

If I were to get a new desktop, it wouldn't be something I'd buy prebuilt. I'd build my own PC.

I'm currently sourcing all my parts for a custom build. 23" touchscreen custom built into a glass topped coffee table - PC on one side - dismantled xbox 360 on the other.

PC.jpgPC2.jpg

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the main problem for most desktops is price.

It doesn't take a lot to build your own anymore when you compare it to off the shelf prices for machines from Dell or HP it will always work out cheaper and your more than likely to have better components in your own build than those that are mass produced - Even if you got to alienware or origin the prices are really high for what you get.

I had a 27" AIO and although it was beautiful it just wasn't practical 27" is far too large to perform swiping operations on win8 and the trouble with most AIO is that you can't get exactly what you want spec wise. A lot of the AIO don't come with W8 pro and are limited with ram and only carry integrated intel graphics.

Getting what you want is paramount if your paying for a desktop and the most effective way of doing that is to BYO

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's a really cool idea. Look forward to seeing the final product, if you decide to post it :wink:

Thanks

Will be putting up a build thread once I start putting everything together - those are just concept renders and my design has changed already a few times. Probably wont be until August though. Going for top end on PC components and having to buy bits every couple of weeks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks

Will be putting up a build thread once I start putting everything together - those are just concept renders and my design has changed already a few times. Probably wont be until August though. Going for top end on PC components and having to buy bits every couple of weeks.
I'm also interested, so I'll definitely check out your thread later this summer.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
A 42 inch screen will all the hardware inside it that can be mounted on the wall and connects wirelessly to a keyboard & a mouse and other things.
Doubles up as a television too.

That, would be great.

I know its not an innovation but thats what they could do.

TofuDelight

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site

In my experience, the upgradability has always been better in theory than in practice. Back when I was really into gaming, laptops were overpriced and underpowered, and so I bought desktops. Since I was a gamer and tech buff, I usually bought hardware near the top of the performance curve. When I finally needed to upgrade, all the new cpus and video cards required new motherboards which also needed new memory. By the time I finished, the only thing I didn't need was a new case, mouse and keyboard, but the bundled systems cost less than buying parts separately.

Nowadays, laptops and tablets cost less than desktops used to, and they have a lot less hassle and the portability is a big advantage. Desktops are noisier, messier (more wires), les convenient. I seriously would never recommend a desktop to any of my friends and family these days.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the "problem" with desktops is actually a good problem to have from a consumer standpoint - the form factor for desktops has matured, and really the primary question is how big of a monitor you want to have. Because the form factor has matured, and also because computers have become powerful enough that the general user can go 5+ years before refreshing/upgrading to a new computer, consumers ultimately save money. (Think about how often smartphones and tablets currently need to be refreshed to stay reasonably current and ask if that is ultimately good for the consumer.)

Obviously the drawback of desktops is that they aren't portable. If you are buying one computer device (excluding smartphones) in today's day and age, you probably buy a laptop instead. But if you are buying two or more devices, and especially if visual quality is important AND you do much of your work at home (and possibly also if there are fewer people in your household), desktops still make tons of sense as a person's/family's primary computer. I know personally that I will likely always prefer to have a desktop as my primary computer; I really like having a 23" HD monitor on my current desktop.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Several years ago HP used to sell Pavilion Slimline computers. True to their name, the Slimlines were just really tiny desktops. In many ways the all-in-one defeats the purpose of slim computers, however, I think manufacturers really missed an opportunity by not entering the HTPC market. My really old Pavilion computer came with coaxial inputs, optical and various connections to make it a HTPC. Manufacturers should have continued with this innovation, making it more convenient for consumers to turn their PCs into true multimedia centers. And the benefits of a slim PC is that you can tuck away all the bulky hardware. Now it looks like Microsoft is going to beat manufacturers to the punch with the Xbox One. But imagine how cool it would of been if you could pickup up a slim PC, a basic webcam and control your PC without a mouse or expensive software.

Attachments

• hp-pavilion-slimline-s5344fr-m.jpg
    hp-pavilion-slimline-s5344fr-m.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 22

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Indeed, it seems OEMs are pushing all-in-ones and convertibles now. I own a desktop that I built myself, and I have to say the biggest advantage I see with that is control over the parts within. I can make sure all of my components are good quality, and can easily replace something if it breaks. I can also swap out parts as I see fit.

As far as OEM innovation on the desktop, it's going to be tricky, since the advantages I listed above don't apply there. The real strength in desktops nowadays is the amount of power under the hood. It's becoming more the enthusiast's/gamer's computer, rather than the family PC. I still think OEMs will have a hard time appealing to that demographic, since most of them build their own systems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa