Malware

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Do legit anti virus and spyware companies create malware / viruses so you buy their product? I don't want to name names, but I spent the day trying to rid my desktop of ransomware and almost every link on how to remove on a search lead me to some anti spyware company.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's easy to blame these companies, and there are certainly shady security companies out there (think the freecleanpc.com commercials and such). Certainly, malware isn't created by the most reputable companies, such as Norton and McAfee. There may be fringe companies that dabble on both sides, but I doubt it.

As an IT Professional who places an emphasis on security, I would say that the only way to safely clean your computer is to back up your personal data, and completely restore the PC to a factory condition with the actual Windows install CD from Microsoft if you have one, or a factory restore CD from the manufacturer. Install all of the Windows updates and security patches. Then install an antivirus program. Microsoft offers free Security Essentials, which isn't too bad. There is also AVG or Avast if you would prefer something different. Then you can reinstall your software and copy your personal user files back onto the system.

Many people recommend some utility or procedure that will remove malware from a computer without that step, but it is very difficult (if not impossible) to ensure 100% that your computer is completely clean and safe. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really shouldn't take more than an evening or two to get everything back to where it was before.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
It's easy to blame these companies, and there are certainly shady security companies out there (think the freecleanpc.com commercials and such). Certainly, malware isn't created by the most reputable companies, such as Norton and McAfee. There may be fringe companies that dabble on both sides, but I doubt it.

As an IT Professional who places an emphasis on security, I would say that the only way to safely clean your computer is to back up your personal data, and completely restore the PC to a factory condition with the actual Windows install CD from Microsoft if you have one, or a factory restore CD from the manufacturer. Install all of the Windows updates and security patches. Then install an antivirus program. Microsoft offers free Security Essentials, which isn't too bad. There is also AVG or Avast if you would prefer something different. Then you can reinstall your software and copy your personal user files back onto the system.

Many people recommend some utility or procedure that will remove malware from a computer without that step, but it is very difficult (if not impossible) to ensure 100% that your computer is completely clean and safe. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really shouldn't take more than an evening or two to get everything back to where it was before.

I just ask. I doubt too that the legit companies author malware and viruses. Its just after picking up a bad one and while doing research I was directed to numerous companies, some legit and others I never heard of, that claim to be able to clean it out for price. It just makes the average guy think a little. btw, I already had Essentials installed an it failed to block the two year old ransomware and after rebooting into safe mode it was unable to clean it as well.

I like reinstalling Windows because everything runs so nicely afterwards. The thing I hate is installing all my software. lol

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I like reinstalling Windows because everything runs so nicely afterwards. The thing I had is installing all my software. lol

There is that! Getting a clean copy of Windows without all the manufacturer's junk trial software, and all the crap we install ourselves over time is very nice.

tmccaghren

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just ask. I doubt too that the legit companies author malware and viruses. Its just after picking up a bad one and while doing research I was directed to numerous companies, some legit and others I never heard of, that claim to be able to clean it out for price. It just makes the average guy think a little. btw, I already had Essentials installed an it failed to block the two year old ransomware and after rebooting into safe mode it was unable to clean it as well.

I like reinstalling Windows because everything runs so nicely afterwards. The thing I hate is installing all my software. lol

Personally, I use AVG as my anti-virus, and then use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe mode (full system scan, btw) to remove anything AVG doesn't catch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon