How far we've come in the last 6 years..

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
When looking at how at the new 1020 it pays to look back at how far the industry has come in a few short years. Just look at CNET's review of the original iphone, they love its 2mp camera and said this about the screen: "At a generous 3.5 inches, the display takes full advantage of the phone's size, while its 480x320 pixel resolution (160 dots per inch) translates into brilliant colors, sharp graphics, and fluid movements". Lol, how times have changed. Apple iPhone Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
When looking at how at the new 1020 it pays to look back at how far the industry has come in a few short years. Just look at CNET's review of the original iphone, they love its 2mp camera and said this about the screen: "At a generous 3.5 inches, the display takes full advantage of the phone's size, while its 480x320 pixel resolution (160 dots per inch) translates into brilliant colors, sharp graphics, and fluid movements". Lol, how times have changed. Apple iPhone Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

It's really incredible. Just think about what computers were capable of when we were young, and how phones are so much more powerful now.

Games look better now on my 8X than they did on high-end computer hardware 10 years ago. Just look at that: Call of Duty Video Review - GameSpot.com

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For some things, phones have actually regressed. Sure, there are apps that were non-existent just a few years ago but phones were "smarter" in the mid 2000's. See back then power users carried a phone and a PDA. PDA's did the heavy lifting and phones were just communication devices. The Palm Treo 650 was revolutionary because it let you carry one device. You could print from it via BT or IR, create a dial-up connection to a laptop, etc. and it had the best keyboard EVER. Along comes the iPhone and Apple, to their credit, convinces the masses that keyboards are an eyesore, cut & paste is not necessary, connecting to a laptop is not necessary, IR connections are useless and the only thing you need is an MP3 player. Slowly but surely, all the useful features that phones had began to disappear. Then the iPad came along and suddenly carrying 2 devices was chic. Now we're seeing IR ports making a comeback of sorts and so are stylii. 9.7" tablets are too large and 7" models are the overwhelming favorite. How about it if Nokia or HTC come out with a WP8 phone w/ BT PAN, IR & MAP while at the same time introducing a 5" iPaq-like PDA running RT with a 4:3 ratio screen. Sounds crazy? Give it a year or two.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
For some things, phones have actually regressed. Sure, there are apps that were non-existent just a few years ago but phones were "smarter" in the mid 2000's. See back then power users carried a phone and a PDA. PDA's did the heavy lifting and phones were just communication devices. The Palm Treo 650 was revolutionary because it let you carry one device. You could print from it via BT or IR, create a dial-up connection to a laptop, etc. and it had the best keyboard EVER. Along comes the iPhone and Apple, to their credit, convinces the masses that keyboards are an eyesore, cut & paste is not necessary, connecting to a laptop is not necessary, IR connections are useless and the only thing you need is an MP3 player. Slowly but surely, all the useful features that phones had began to disappear. Then the iPad came along and suddenly carrying 2 devices was chic. Now we're seeing IR ports making a comeback of sorts and so are stylii. 9.7" tablets are too large and 7" models are the overwhelming favorite. How about it if Nokia or HTC come out with a WP8 phone w/ BT PAN, IR & MAP while at the same time introducing a 5" iPaq-like PDA running RT with a 4:3 ratio screen. Sounds crazy? Give it a year or two.

Though I agree somewhat with you, however, there are 'better' ways of doing things these days. I personally think IR is a waste of time, it's limited an not really necessary. BT on WP is a bit of a disappointment but hopefully that will be fixed with updates. With regards to printing, WiFi/Cloud printing would be a nice feature in stead of BT as more people have wireless printers these days.

As for bigger phones, well that seems to be the way things are going, though I don't think many people want such large phones. 5" is a touch large to me personally but I'm sure someone will bring one out after GDR3 or WP8.1. I expect to see a 7 or 8" W8 RT tablet from Nokia in the future.

This of course is just my opinion. Everyone has their idea of what they think is best for them.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
IR blaster on a phone is worthless until you lose your remote for a couple days (remotes and couches are like socks and washer/dryers) and the simplest things on new TVs and cable boxes become darn near impossible. Phone with a good remote app and IR blaster can be a life saver (speaking from experience).

And I am pretty sure fatclue just looked at a post where I said my favorite phone was and said Treo 650. That was my first real smartphone and worth every penny (bought it used for $300 on ebay).

The biggest place where phones have regressed is in battery life. This is to be expected given what is in our phones now but I still wish I could go a couple days again without thinking of a charger...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
IR blaster on a phone is worthless until you lose your remote for a couple days (remotes and couches are like socks and washer/dryers) and the simplest things on new TVs and cable boxes become darn near impossible. Phone with a good remote app and IR blaster can be a life saver (speaking from experience).

And I am pretty sure fatclue just looked at a post where I said my favorite phone was and said Treo 650. That was my first real smartphone and worth every penny (bought it used for $300 on ebay).

The biggest place where phones have regressed is in battery life. This is to be expected given what is in our phones now but I still wish I could go a couple days again without thinking of a charger...

Didn't see your post about the 650, but I was using a Verizon 755p up until a week ago. Were it not for the crappy Blazer browser I'd still be using it. Can't beat the kb, and I've had BB 9900's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte