The context menus showing up at the bottom of the screen when right clicking is just one example of the insanity. It's hard to comprehend the stupidity of it. But they will change it so it's fine.
    I don't think its dumb ...I really cant think of any other they could put it.....but on my 2 20 in monitors it works well
    01-31-2014 12:35 AM
    and im the lone poster ,....MUAHAHHA
    01-31-2014 01:03 AM
    you all thought I left...but you all thought wrong
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-31-2014 01:04 AM
    ill go AFTER i finish my race
    01-31-2014 01:04 AM
    and now im off.....to this thing called sleep :3 good night and good morning
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-31-2014 01:07 AM
    ....and I am back as everyone else slids out.

*checks for body odor*
    Chregu, N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    01-31-2014 01:13 AM
    Oh great. Train is running late. That means the buses will be gone at the other end. :/

It's foggy this.morning.
    01-31-2014 01:14 AM
    ....and I am back as everyone else slids out.

*checks for body odor*
    Happens to me all the time. :/
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-31-2014 01:15 AM
    Not the body odor btw...
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-31-2014 01:16 AM
    I don't think its dumb ...I really cant think of any other they could put it.....but on my 2 20 in monitors it works well
    They could do it like it was done on every OS since 30 years or so. By having a context menu. There's even a dedicated button on the standard Windows keyboard layout for it. If you change something basic like that, better make sure it's better afterwards.

I don't say the solution is bad on a tablet, then it's great, but for a mouse user it's just terrible.

But again, Microsoft has come to its senses and agrees, they want to change it. Context menu when using a mouse, the bottom screen solution for touch devices.
    snowmutt and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-31-2014 01:16 AM
    I have started my day cultures, and now I have a little time to reflect on my life.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-31-2014 01:18 AM
    @unstoppablekem:

Thanks for the link!! Not sure how these awards are dolled out- can't be by post count, B.P. and Sahib are 2/3 of the traffic on WPC- but it is kinda cool. I can go tell my wife I have been awarded a shout out, and get the special parking spot in front of WPCHQ, which is right next door to the Justice League offices.

And congrats to you!! Being the ambassador of the month HAS to carry some serious juice with it. Like, you get to pick the music that gets played in the WPCHQ elevators.

You truly deserve it, buddy.
    N_LaRUE, Laura Knotek and BIGPADDY like this.
    01-31-2014 01:18 AM
    I think I might have to stand on the train....
    01-31-2014 01:21 AM
    They could do it like it was done on every OS since 30 years or so. By having a context menu. There's even a dedicated button on the standard Windows keyboard layout for it. If you change something basic like that, better make sure it's better afterwards.

I don't say the solution is bad on a tablet, then it's great, but for a mouse user it's just terrible.

But again, Microsoft has come to its senses and agrees, they want to change it. Context menu when using a mouse, the bottom screen solution for touch devices.
    While those of us who like W8 may defend it, sales show Windows 7 users just weren't ready for such a radical change. And it was a silly decision. Moving to a tile format was fine, but laptops/PCs are not mobile devices. And the sales of Laptop/PC's still far, FAR outsell tablets. Like, to the tune of 5-1 almost in 2013. Keeping Windows 8 mouse friendly was so important.

I am glad they are backtracking a little. Get more people to use Windows 8, get them used to it. That is vital to the ecosystem they are trying to build.
    N_LaRUE, Chregu and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-31-2014 01:23 AM
    Oh the train is here finally!
    Chregu and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-31-2014 01:23 AM
    Must be windy up there...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-31-2014 01:24 AM
    I hope that is the worst thing that happens all day, buddy. Get that bad ju-ju out of the way early. The rest of the day will fall into place. No problem. Rabbit's foot meets winning lotery numbers kind of good.
    Chregu and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-31-2014 01:25 AM
    While those of us who like W8 may defend it, sales show Windows 7 users just weren't ready for such a radical change. And it was a silly decision. Moving to a tile format was fine, but laptops/PCs are not mobile devices. And the sales of Laptop/PC's still far, FAR outsell tablets. Like, to the tune of 5-1 almost in 2013. Keeping Windows 8 mouse friendly was so important.

I am glad they are backtracking a little. Get more people to use Windows 8, get them used to it. That is vital to the ecosystem they are trying to build.
    I agree. I think unifying tablets and desktops is great. But the Windows 8.2 (or whatever they will call it) vision is much better.
    snowmutt and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-31-2014 01:26 AM
    @unstoppablekem:

Thanks for the link!! Not sure how these awards are dolled out- can't be by post count, B.P. and Sahib are 2/3 of the traffic on WPC- but it is kinda cool. I can go tell my wife I have been awarded a shout out, and get the special parking spot in front of WPCHQ, which is right next door to the Justice League offices.

And congrats to you!! Being the ambassador of the month HAS to carry some serious juice with it. Like, you get to pick the music that gets played in the WPCHQ elevators.

You truly deserve it, buddy.
    Congratulations! You've done a great job.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-31-2014 01:42 AM
    What a long day today....
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    01-31-2014 01:44 AM
    Is 24" to 27" a big step? 17" to 19" was quite impressive. I'm still struggling with the decision ;-)
    I just went from a 22" display to a 27" display and yeah it's a big step up. As with any display increase it'll really hit you for a week or two then it'll become the 'norm' and using smaller displays will become more challenging
    Laura Knotek and Chregu like this.
    01-31-2014 01:45 AM

I think the issue is less with Windows 8/8.1 and more with users not upgrading their OS unless they upgrade the hardware. The 'average Joe/Jane' who isn't a tech geek or early adapter has no need to buy a new PC to get Windows 8/8.1 and has no need to upgrade to Windows 8/8.1 on his/her current PC. Most consumers don't just go out and buy upgrades of Windows because it's available, nor do they just go out and buy new PCs just because they feel like it. The current hardware and software they have is 'good enough', so they won't buy new machines (with a new OS) until their old hardware bites the dust.
    01-31-2014 01:47 AM
    I just went from a 22" display to a 27" display and yeah it's a big step up. As with any display increase it'll really hit you for a week or two then it'll become the 'norm' and using smaller displays will become more challenging
    At work I would like to have one or two more displays. The two I have are not enough. :/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-31-2014 02:07 AM
    I think the issue is less with Windows 8/8.1 and more with users not upgrading their OS unless they upgrade the hardware. The 'average Joe/Jane' who isn't a tech geek or early adapter has no need to buy a new PC to get Windows 8/8.1 and has no need to upgrade to Windows 8/8.1 on his/her current PC. Most consumers don't just go out and buy upgrades of Windows because it's available, nor do they just go out and buy new PCs just because they feel like it. The current hardware and software they have is 'good enough', so they won't buy new machines (with a new OS) until their old hardware bites the dust.
    I believe you nailed it. The PC market is why it is because there's simply no reason to upgrade. The majority of people see no need even then, some are realising they can use tablets for their needs in 99% of cases so they're migrating to that. Unfortnately they're going for iPads and Androids.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-31-2014 02:09 AM
    But a fruitful one, here is the end result:
    wp_20140130_001.jpg
    01-31-2014 02:12 AM
142,848 ... 11201121112211231124 ...