Yep, very common here at all grocery stores. When I was in Canada they had them but were not used as much as they are here. Can't blame them as they were horrible to use.
    I only use the self service checkout if I have a few items. If I have many items, I'll have a clerk do the checkout.
    02-05-2014 02:08 AM
    ****, my HP Veer is stuck at the HP logo, ugh, screw this, i'll wait for the battery to die.
    02-05-2014 02:09 AM
    I only use the self service checkout if I have a few items. If I have many items, I'll have a clerk do the checkout.
    Same. Anything more than 10 items I go to a normal checkout though there are some stores where I used them regardless.

In some of our stores they have a new self scan system that you scan as you shop and then you just pay at the check out. They're becoming popular.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:11 AM
    Yep, very common here at all grocery stores. When I was in Canada they had them but were not used as much as they are here. Can't blame them as they were horrible to use.
    They are usually not in use in Switzerland, but there are many installed as pilot project.

I think they are active in some stores but not the majority, Swiss people are slow in this way, and here I think this is good. I don't want to do the store's job if I have to pay the same price anyway.

They want me to work for free that they can fire their staff? Screw you stores...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:12 AM
    They are usually not in use in Switzerland, but there are many installed as pilot project.

I think they are active in some stores but not the majority, Swiss people are slow in this way, and here I think this is good. I don't want to do the store's job if I have to pay the same price anyway.

They want me to work for free that they can fire their staff? Screw you stores...
    There are two types of people. Those who refuse to use the self checkouts and those who want the convenience of options. I don't want regular checkouts to close but I do want the option to use the express checkout so I don't have to wait at long lineups.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:18 AM
    There are two types of people. Those who refuse to use the self checkouts and those who want the convenience of options. I don't want regular checkouts to close but I do want the option to use the express checkout so I don't have to wait at long lineups.
    I agree. If I'm just buying a gift card, I'd rather use self checkout than wait in line. There isn't anything to even bag.
    02-05-2014 02:19 AM
    I'm on Will Smith's in i, Robot side ;-)
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-05-2014 02:19 AM
    I agree. If I'm just buying a gift card, I'd rather use self checkout than wait in line. There isn't anything to even bag.
    In Switzerland you have to bag everything yourself :)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:20 AM
    In Switzerland you have to bag everything yourself :)
    Yes, that's typical of most of the EU. Here in the UK you can get 'help' if you need it. Also depending on the store you go to. We have various levels of grocery stores here. Some are better with customer service than others.
    Laura Knotek and Chregu like this.
    02-05-2014 02:23 AM
    Yes, that's typical of most of the EU. Here in the UK you can get 'help' if you need it. Also depending on the store you go to. We have various levels of grocery stores here. Some are better with customer service than others.
    Here, the biggest difference is the price and how the groceries are presented...

I don't usually go to the very expensive stores, but in the lower to medium price classes the differences are really minor in general customer service. People are usually friendly (I think this is store policy, people have gotten more friendly in recent years, or maybe people are just more friendly because I'm older, I don't know), but there are the impolite ones too, in all of the stores.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:30 AM
    Here, the biggest difference is the price and how the groceries are presented...

I don't usually go to the very expensive stores, but in the lower to medium price classes the differences are really minor in general customer service. People are usually friendly (I think this is store policy, people have gotten more friendly in recent years, or maybe people are just more friendly because I'm older, I don't know), but there are the impolite ones too, in all of the stores.
    I do my best to stay away from Harrods and Forntum and Mason. :P

My wife is very curious about grocery stores. Whenever we go to a new place she always wants to check them out. I'm curious but not that much.
    02-05-2014 02:33 AM

That sounds just like the way things are in the US too. I've noticed that the price class of the store does not always mirror the friendliness of its employees. In many cases, the less expensive store has friendlier employees.
    Chregu likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:34 AM
    I do my best to stay away from Harrods and Forntum and Mason. :P

My wife is very curious about grocery stores. Whenever we go to a new place she always wants to check them out. I'm curious but not that much.
    I've always visited grocery stores when I've travelled. I've never visited department stores, though. For example, I went to Piggly-Wiggly in Georgia.
    02-05-2014 02:37 AM
    Well, if the Veer is screwed, at least i have a Pre3 coming, i hate what happened to it though and i am so pissed (again!)

Looks like i can't have a happy evening anymore can't I?
    02-05-2014 02:42 AM
    For example, I went to Piggly-Wiggly in Georgia.
    Only in the US could a store named that survive. :P

Just a note, Harrods has a very large food section. It's very nice.
    02-05-2014 02:42 AM
    Well, if the Veer is screwed, at least i have a Pre3 coming, i hate what happened to it though and i am so pissed (again!)

Looks like i can't have a happy evening anymore can't i?
    I'm not familiar with either of those devices...
    Laura Knotek and LMZR like this.
    02-05-2014 02:43 AM
    Pre is a webOS device. I've never heard of the Veer, and I have no idea what platform it runs.
    02-05-2014 02:44 AM
    When I only read this quote I thought it was about some kind of sexual stimulation...
    If you think that is bad you should read the previous pages.... I was having a really difficult time not taking it the wrong way.
    ummmmm!!!
    02-05-2014 02:46 AM
    Only in the US could a store named that survive. :P

Just a note, Harrods has a very large food section. It's very nice.
    Piggly Wiggly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We don't have those stores in Ohio.
    02-05-2014 02:46 AM
    Pre is a webOS device. I've never heard of the Veer, and I have no idea what platform it runs.
    The Veer is a HP device running webOS, it was on AT&T for only a few months before all of the devices were discontinued (Thanks HP.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:49 AM
    ummmmm!!!
    Just a bit of teasing. :P
    02-05-2014 02:49 AM
    The verge has a very good article surrounding the interesting story of this phone OS.

Pre to postmortem: the inside story of the death of Palm and webOS | The Verge
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:50 AM
    I should do some YouTube videos about my phone and tablet collection...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:53 AM
    I wish I would've gotten an HP Touchpad during the fire sale. I know a guy in a local Linux User Group who has one. I played with it at one of meetings, and it was nice for the price.
    LMZR likes this.
    02-05-2014 02:53 AM
    I'm planning some thrilling experiments for Friday. I'm very excited.
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    02-05-2014 02:54 AM
142,726 ... 11891190119111921193 ...