I just finally got rid of some computers running Win2K at one of the companies I support. They are also looking into trying Win8 and bought 2 new laptops. One for me to beat on and another for one of the managers. I have to say from an IT standpoint, I'm very pleased so far. I was able to join the domain through VPN easier and quicker than with Win7 laptops I configured not long ago. Also setting it up as a work connection and turning on domain sharing, again saw everything and mapped quicker than the Win7. For the manager, I set him up to boot to desktop and put everything he needs on the taskbar. I did the same for mine but also started creating tiles on the metro. So far everything has launched flawlessly. From SQL managing studio, custom vendor SQL program, my administrative tools and all Office programs. I've been on a Win7 laptop for almost 5 years and it's been a seamless transition to the new one at this point. I know it's a matter of personal preference as to what people want to run. But workwise for me, I'm not missing a beat so far. Will find out more over the next couple of weeks as I put it through my daily paces.
    02-11-2014 10:18 AM
    I hope WP8.1 adds DND mode, because it is a small, but helpful feature on iOS. And no, silent mode isn't the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-11-2014 10:19 AM
    Well if I read the article right .... there will be a file manager ......great ...just great ....I can already see threads saying "help I lost a file" or "help I deleted a file and now my phone wont turn on " or help I downloaded something do I have a virus " or how to use a File manager to install cracked apps " or how to root your phone " I see nothing good coming out of this
    02-11-2014 10:19 AM
    02-11-2014 10:20 AM
    YES, AWESOMENESS!

02-11-2014 10:21 AM
    I just finally got rid of some computers running Win2K at one of the companies I support. They are also looking into trying Win8 and bought 2 new laptops. One for me to beat on and another for one of the managers. I have to say from an IT standpoint, I'm very pleased so far. I was able to join the domain through VPN easier and quicker than with Win7 laptops I configured not long ago. Also setting it up as a work connection and turning on domain sharing, again saw everything and mapped quicker than the Win7. For the manager, I set him up to boot to desktop and put everything he needs on the taskbar. I did the same for mine but also started creating tiles on the metro. So far everything has launched flawlessly. From SQL managing studio, custom vendor SQL program, my administrative tools and all Office programs. I've been on a Win7 laptop for almost 5 years and it's been a seamless transition to the new one at this point. I know it's a matter of personal preference as to what people want to run. But workwise for me, I'm not missing a beat so far. Will find out more over the next couple of weeks as I put it through my daily paces.
    I'm sure Windows 8 is an improvement over Windows 7 from a technical point of view. I'm always referring to the interface that feels like a not thought-out new layout put on top of Windows 7.
    02-11-2014 10:22 AM
    Just tipped WPCentral. :)

02-11-2014 10:23 AM
    Well if I read the article right .... there will be a file manager ......great ...just great ....I can already see threads saying "help I lost a file" or "help I deleted a file and now my phone wont turn on " or help I downloaded something do I have a virus " or how to use a File manager to install cracked apps " or how to root your phone " I see nothing good coming out of this
    I don't think it will be that open. I think the 'file manager' will be OneDrive deeply integrated so you an access certain folders but that will be all. At least that's my thinking.

It will hopefully end some of those 'missing file' threads we have now. :P
    02-11-2014 10:24 AM
    I'm sure Windows 8 is an improvement over Windows 7 from a technical point of view. I'm always referring to the interface that feels like a not thought-out new layout put on top of Windows 7.
    It could use work but the way its turning out to be ....its worse than before :\ I just want improvement in win 8....not change it to be more like 7 but with a name of 8
    Just tipped WPCentral. :)
    People in this forum always give me the impression they heavily dislike Engadget. I would never dare ;-)
    Yayyy!! I'm going home
    Chregu likes this.
    02-11-2014 10:25 AM
    It could use work but the way its turning out to be ....its worse than before :\ I just want improvement in win 8....not change it to be more like 7 but with a name of 8
    It's always about preferences.

Being more touch friendly on touch enabled devices, being more mouse friendly on standard devices seems like something that should have been implemented since the Windows 8 was released.
    02-11-2014 10:26 AM
    Biggest mistake MS made was doing the step by step approach. People don't like that. Make it a fully integrated feel or don't bother.
    02-11-2014 10:27 AM
    I don't think it will be that open. I think the 'file manager' will be OneDrive deeply integrated so you an access certain folders but that will be all. At least that's my thinking.

It will hopefully end some of those 'missing file' threads we have now. :P
    If we know MSFT, they crack under pressure ... and give in and give what the minority wants .....I have a feeling it will be just that .... something like I described ..... but it will end all those threads of file manager :D
    02-11-2014 10:27 AM
    Yayyy!! I'm going home
    That was a short week. :P Glad to hear.
    Chregu likes this.
    02-11-2014 10:28 AM
    Yayyy!! I'm going home
    You're back !!!!!:P
    If we know MSFT, they crack under pressure ... and give in and give what the minority wants .....I have a feeling it will be just that .... something like I described ..... but it will end all those threads of file manager :D
    A fully fledge file manager will never come to WP. Goes totally against their protocol.
    That was a short week. :P Glad to hear.
    Lol i didn't wanna stay and we're shifting homes
    02-11-2014 10:31 AM
    I hear you. There are many who don't like the interface. I personally like it, but thought that it was best used and made for touch screen. Sure you can learn mouse tricks and keys to do it on a keyboard. And once you learn them you can cruise around pretty good. But let's face it, not many want to do that. I do think that you can boot to desktop and make the experience pretty close to 7 is a nice compromise. And you can play with the tiles if you choose to, or just stay away from it.
    Chregu and Muessig like this.
    It's always about preferences.

Being more touch friendly on touch enabled devices, being more mouse friendly on standard devices seems like something that should have been implemented since the Windows 8 was released.
    But I don't get that argument ..... I never did use a touch device before 8 and even after... until I got my iPod I used touch .I didn't like 8 but after I used it, it was better and made sense. I think its people hate to learn something new :/
    Lol i didn't wanna stay and we're shifting homes
    Ah! Sounds complicated. :P
    02-11-2014 10:32 AM
    I hope WP8.1 adds DND mode, because it is a small, but helpful feature on iOS. And no, silent mode isn't the same thing.

Or you could not play with your phone or tablet while you are in school.
    02-11-2014 10:34 AM
    A fully fledge file manager will never come to WP. Goes totally against their protocol.
    I hope not. But one of things I loved about winphone 8 was a lack of a file manager but now that is out the window. I will have to adapt or change to an iPhone or something
    Or you could not play with your phone or tablet while you are in school.
    That ain't happening. :P

That ain't happening. :P

I didn't think so!
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    02-11-2014 10:36 AM
144,450 ... 13051306130713081309 ...