I can't imagine this phone having a future. I would never buy it. Will Microsoft support Android after they have taken over Nokia? It just doesn't fit in my head.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    02-24-2014 01:50 AM
    I have another 5 minutes to read the live stream on Engadget. They just presented the Nokia X, a phone running Android.
    Oh, big surprise... not. :P
    Chregu and Himanshu Chowdhary like this.
    02-24-2014 01:50 AM
    I can't imagine this phone having a future. I would never buy it. Will Microsoft support Android after they have taken over Nokia? It just doesn't fit in my head.
    I think it's a one off device but who knows? It's a low end device without much future to it.
    02-24-2014 01:51 AM
    I think it's a one off device but who knows? It's a low end device without much future to it.
    I was more thinking about bug fixes. After all it seems to have already more features than Windows Phone...
    02-24-2014 01:53 AM
    I wonder how long it will take for XDA to get the Google Play Store on the X.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    02-24-2014 01:56 AM
    I was more thinking about bug fixes. After all it seems to have already more features than Windows Phone...
    The interface is hideous.
    02-24-2014 01:59 AM
    I'm happy about the Photoshop express.
    02-24-2014 02:00 AM
    Yes, yes it is.
    02-24-2014 02:01 AM
    So I caught the tail end of the talk. Looks like they plan to keep the device going for as long as possible. I'm guessing it's purely about using the Nokia name to get people on board who don't like WP from what I can tell. Still, that interface is rather nasty looking.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:12 AM
    I like the Nokia X strategy. Get "new" users familiar with the "Windows Phone UI" and Microsoft services, no Google bloat, and have their cake too with Android apps.
    LMZR likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:15 AM
    Its a Microsoft-approved strategy to introduce a common WP-esque experience to all kinds of users. From the basic 105 line, the 'second phone' asha series and the Android fanboy audience to try to move them over to WP devices by creating a familiar user experience.

Will it work? Most android people are saying that without access to the Play store there's little to no point in a stylised android device that, let's face it, you could probably emulate with a launcher (or that's what it looks like to me).

It's a bit of a weird one.
    LMZR likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:16 AM
    I'm liking what i am seeing with the X range.

I'll easily get the XL when it comes out in Australia. It uses Android, you can sideload apk's, use other Android app stores.

It's awesome. :)
    02-24-2014 02:23 AM
    I actually like the interface. :)
    azcruz likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:23 AM
    Its a Microsoft-approved strategy to introduce a common WP-esque experience to all kinds of users. From the basic 105 line, the 'second phone' asha series and the Android fanboy audience to try to move them over to WP devices by creating a familiar user experience.

Will it work? Most android people are saying that without access to the Play store there's little to no point in a stylised android device that, let's face it, you could probably emulate with a launcher (or that's what it looks like to me).

It's a bit of a weird one.
    I give it a month after release and someone will have it hacked and a different ROM on it. That's the problem with this device. People won't like the restrictive nature of it, hell they hate the restrictive nature of WP so this won't go down well at all.

I don't see it sticking around long. However, I didn't see it as a good idea in the first place. All you're going to get now is cries of WP failure from the reviewers. I could be wrong... :/
    02-24-2014 02:25 AM
    I actually like the interface. :)
    To each their own I guess....
    LMZR likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:27 AM
    I'm liking what i am seeing with the X range.

I'll easily get the XL when it comes out in Australia. It uses Android, you can sideload apk's, use other Android app stores.

It's awesome. :)
    I thought the store was going to be restrictive to the 'Nokia Store'.
    LMZR likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:27 AM
    I like the Nokia X strategy. Get "new" users familiar with the "Windows Phone UI" and Microsoft services, no Google bloat, and have their cake too with Android apps.
    Limited selection of Android apps, until someone hacks the device of course.
    LMZR likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:28 AM
    The thing that I don't get is that this price point directly competes with WP's most successful - the 520. Why would you create a device on a rival platform that's competing with your most successful phone?

I can only guess this will only come to markets that WP is not doing well in.
    02-24-2014 02:28 AM
    The thing that I don't get is that this price point directly competes with WP's most successful - the 520. Why would you create a device on a rival platform that's competing with your most successful phone?

They did say it was targeted to growth markets but would still be available in other markets. So yes, very confusing. They did say the idea was to push the X series price down below WP phones over time and push WP down prices as well.
    02-24-2014 02:31 AM
    I thought the store was going to be restrictive to the 'Nokia Store'.
    No. In the presentation, the search of a non-existent app in the Nokia store, redirected it to another store.
    02-24-2014 02:41 AM

Here in the Philippines, people barely buy a 520 because it is Windows Phone. Now tell them it's running Android and Nokia will be selling well.
    Muessig likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:42 AM
    Limited selection of Android apps, until someone hacks the device of course.
    Yeah, you're right. At least I won't see all the garbage apps that lives in Play Store.
    02-24-2014 02:49 AM
    There a family of X's!!!
    LMZR likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:56 AM
    There a family of X's!!!
    Yeah, pretty exciting, The XL attracts me the most! :)
    02-24-2014 03:08 AM
    LMZR likes this.
    02-24-2014 03:08 AM
142,723 ... 15201521152215231524 ...