WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Yeah that's a concept I've always had difficulty with. The idea that everything in all directions is actually moving away from us and each other. Messes with my mind all the time. Stil, we sit on one of the tip of one of the spiral arms of the Milkyway galaxy which is going to collide with the Andromeda galaxy some 200 million years from now or something like that.

Yeah it always messed my head up as well until I saw a programme where Stephen Hawking used a room full of silver balls on the floor to explain the effects of gravity.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Okay. A while ago I bought the student version of Office 365, mostly because of Outlook. I own the Home Edition of Office 2010, and found Office 2013 so terrible that I reclaimed the money and switched back to Office 2010 and Windows Live Mail.

Now that I have my new email address which is Exchange based, I'm thinking about buying it again. I just have two questions: Does a PhD student count as a student for Microsoft, and is this a good idea in general? I'm thinking about moving all my contacts and appointments from Live to Exchange.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Oh, I think in other countries a PhD student just counts as a graduate student, what means it's just a student. I think I'd be included then.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I need to win the lotto so I can do what I want and not have to work :(

Too much stuff going on right now... 6 month old, SWTOR, FFXIV, XBoxOne release in Nov. (maybe Nov. 8), apps and updates I need to work on... and all that cake to eat.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oh, I think in other countries a PhD student just counts as a graduate student, what means it's just a student. I think I'd be included then.

Most likely. What didn't you like about Office 2013? I've been using it for a few months now at home and have no issues with it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I need to win the lotto so I can do what I want and not have to work :(

Too much stuff going on right now... 6 month old, SWTOR, FFXIV, XBoxOne release in Nov. (maybe Nov. 8), apps and updates I need to work on... and all that cake to eat.

I can agree with this. However I won't be doing apps or buying Xbox one etc. I've got other things I want to do. :)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Most likely. What didn't you like about Office 2013? I've been using it for a few months now at home and have no issues with it.

I had Outlook 2010 in the lab. It worked perfectly and the way I like it after 15 minutes of configuring it. Then I installed Outlook 2013 on my personal computer. I tried half a day to make it work like my Outlook 2010. The Windows Live integration is so much worse than the little plug-in for Outlook 2010. It just always messed everything up. Then I was really frustrated that there is no shared inbox. I also didn't understand why they changed the way appointments are showed on the main page.

But by far the worst thing was, that they put a Metro surface onto the old interface, and this in a even more terrible way than with the Win 8 interface put on Win 7. It just had always the wrong options available, and it was a mess to get to the old interface every time to do what I really wanted to do.

It was just a messed up piece of software and a terrible step back. Really, really bad. (All the anger just came back to me ;-) )

But maybe they fixed some of the issues since then, and if I use Exchange as my main address, I think everything works better anyway.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yeah it always messed my head up as well until I saw a programme where Stephen Hawking used a room full of silver balls on the floor to explain the effects of gravity.

I learnt that concept from Lawrence Krauss in a video of a talk he gave. It was before his book Universe from nothing. The talk was quite interesting but I can't search for it now as I can't get to YouTube.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I had Outlook 2010 in the lab. It worked perfectly and the way I like it after 15 minutes of configuring it. Then I installed Outlook 2013 on my personal computer. I tried half a day to make it work like my Outlook 2010. The Windows Live integration is so much worse than the little plug-in for Outlook 2010. It just always messed everything up. Then I was really frustrated that there is no shared inbox. I also didn't understand why they changed the way appointments are showed on the main page.

But by far the worst thing was, that they put a Metro surface onto the old interface, and this in a even more terrible way than with the Win 8 interface put on Win 7. It just had always the wrong options available, and it was a mess to get to the old interface every time to do what I really wanted to do.

It was just a messed up piece of software and a terrible step back. Really, really bad. (All the anger just came back to me ;-) )

But maybe they fixed some of the issues since then, and if I use Exchange as my main address, I think everything works better anyway.

Funny. I like the way Office 2013 handles Live accounts and other email accounts. It's very useful for me anyway. As for the new interface, like anything comes down to preference. I don't mind it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

OK another picture of the 'home' country for me.

Here's a place the upsets the Americans all the time, the fact that we have the better part of Niagara Falls. :)

Aviary Photo_130220795498167077.jpg

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Funny. I like the way Office 2013 handles Live accounts and other email accounts. It's very useful for me anyway. As for the new interface, like anything comes down to preference. I don't mind it.

Everything was just handled much better by Windows Live Mail in my case. But that doesn't support Exchange.

But maybe my account situation is just too complicated: I have on Live account without mail address for contacts and appointments. I have one personal mail address which I access by IMAP. Then I have two Exchange accounts, which I had only temporary so I didn't want to use them for contacts and appointments and accessed therefore also by IMAP. Works perfectly with Windows Live Mail, couldn't make it work with Office 2013.

Now I would use an Exchange account as main account, and just the personal mail address over IMAP. I think even Outlook 2013 could handle that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos