Good morning!

Last day before I have to start my new job. I think I'll wait another few hours before I get really nervous.
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    09-01-2013 12:00 AM
    Good morning!

Last day before I have to start my new job. I think I'll wait another few hours before I get really nervous.
    Good luck with your new job.
    Chregu and MSFTisMIA like this.
    09-01-2013 12:09 AM
    I'll write this here as it doesn't rally fit into the movie thread: I don't really know what to think about Oprah Winfrey.

The story, how Oprah told it, was that after this grand wedding party of Tina Turner, Oprah went out to Zurich for shopping. She entered a story, saw a black crocodile leather bag (yeah, great on animal protection, are we?) and wanted to buy it, but the assistant told her this bag is too expensive for her, and she did that because Oprah is black of course.

This lead to an incredible outrage about racism in Swittzerland, Switzerland Touristic wrote a panicky post on twitter and it made news in all the world. Now don't get me wrong, we have racism here, and a lot of it. But this story just seemed strange to me from the beginning.

The comments from people of Zurich were mostly: "She wasn't treated badly because she is black, but because the assistants in Zurich's high society shops are just uptight snobs and treat everybody badly."

After a while the assistant herself gave a comment, and her side of the story was, that this bag was heavily secured and therefore she wanted to show Oprah a similar bag, which is just standard store policy.

In such a situation, when shortly after a movie about discrimination by this same person is released, I just smell promotion. Or as Oprah herself made the point: Nobody knew her here before this all came up.
    09-01-2013 12:21 AM
    I'll write this here as it doesn't rally fit into the movie thread: I don't really know what to think about Oprah Winfrey.

The story, how Oprah told it, was that after this grand wedding party of Tina Turner, Oprah went out to Zurich for shopping. She entered a story, saw a black crocodile leather bag (yeah, great on animal protection, are we?) and wanted to buy it, but the assistant told her this bag is too expensive for her, and she did that because Oprah is black of course.

This lead to an incredible outrage about racism in Swittzerland, Switzerland Touristic wrote a panicky post on twitter and it made news in all the world. Now don't get me wrong, we have racism here, and a lot of it. But this story just seemed strange to me from the beginning.

The comments from people of Zurich were mostly: "She wasn't treated badly because she is black, but because the assistants in Zurich's high society shops are just uptight snobs and treat everybody badly."

After a while the assistant herself gave a comment, and her side of the story was, that this bag was heavily secured and therefore she wanted to show Oprah a similar bag, which is just standard store policy.

In such a situation, when shortly after a movie about discrimination by this same person is released, I just smell promotion. Or as Oprah herself made the point: Nobody knew her here before this all came up.
    I've heard about the incident.

As for the movie, she was an actress, not herself or doing a talk show. She didn't write the script, but just memorized her lines and acted the part of the character she was supposed to be.
    09-01-2013 12:28 AM

As for the movie, she was an actress, not herself or doing a talk show. She didn't write the script, but just memorized her lines and acted the part of the character she was supposed to be.
    I didn't want to write negatively about the movie, it just reminded me of this story.

Forest Whitaker is great and I think I would watch it only because of him, and of course I'm interested in the topic itself. I don't think I'll watch it in a cinema though.
    09-01-2013 12:34 AM
    I didn't want to write negatively about the movie, it just reminded me of this story.

Forest Whitaker is great and I think I would watch it only because of him, and of course I'm interested in the topic itself. I don't think I'll watch it in a cinema though.
    I tend to go to the cinema for the "serious" movies (the ones that tend to get the Oscar nominations. I usually wait for Netflix for the comedies, action films and other "light" genres.
    09-01-2013 12:38 AM
    I tend to go to the cinema for the "serious" movies (the ones that tend to get the Oscar nominations. I usually wait for Netflix for the comedies, action films and other "light" genres.
    I just don't go often to the cinema anymore. But now the weather gets worse, I will probably go more often. I never understood that, why are the big movies coming out in summer? That doesn't make any sense, in summer we should enjoy the water and have a barbecue, not sitting in a dark room :)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-01-2013 12:45 AM
    I just don't go often to the cinema anymore. But now the weather gets worse, I will probably go more often. I never understood that, why are the big movies coming out in summer? That doesn't make any sense, in summer we should enjoy the water and have a barbecue, not sitting in a dark room :)
    The summer movies usually tend to be action movies that are fun but won't get any Oscar nominations.

I was actually surprised that The Butler got released this early. It is the type of movie that usually does not get released until October/November.
    Chregu likes this.
    09-01-2013 12:48 AM
    The summer movies usually tend to be action movies that are fun but won't get any Oscar nominations.

I was actually surprised that The Butler got released this early. It is the type of movie that usually does not get released until October/November.
    I'm not sure The Butler will be showed in cinemas here, I haven't found anything. Well, I'll just stick to my plan to watch it at home when it's released.
    09-01-2013 12:57 AM
    Found the 25-years anniversary edition of The Blues Brothers in a shelf, a much better use of my time than preparing for tomorrow!
    09-01-2013 01:45 AM

I never knew the incident occured until Chregu talked about it.
    09-01-2013 02:33 AM
    I haven't been to the cinema's in a while, but i hope to go next week to see jOBS.
    09-01-2013 02:34 AM
    I never knew the incident occured until Chregu talked about it.

She went on: 'I was the only person in the store. I had dressed myself up extra special because I know that things can get very snobby in these kinds of stores.

'The employees first check out what clothes you're wearing. Therefore I chose a Donna Karan outfit - and even washed my hair even. So nobody could mistake me for a homeless person who got lost in the store.
    Oprah Winfrey insists she WAS victim of racism at Swiss store and nearly called Jennifer Aniston to tell her | Mail Online

"I didn't have anything that said 'I have money.' I wasn't wearing a diamond stud. I didn't have a pocketbook. I didn't wear Louboutin shoes. I didn't have anything," said Winfrey on the red carpet. "You should be able to go in a store looking like whatever you look like and say, 'I'd like to see this.' That didn't happen."
    Oprah Winfrey expresses regret over media storm surrounding Switzerland purse flap

That doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I just read this and I love how she contradicts herself. ;-)
    09-01-2013 02:47 AM
    After we reach 5000 posts, will the thread be renamed to the 10,000 post challenge? Or maybe 25,000?
    Chregu, MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-01-2013 03:30 AM
    After we reach 5000 posts, will the thread be renamed to the 10,000 post challenge? Or maybe 25,000?
    I'm for 10'000.

Now this made me trying to do math, which is never a good idea. I'd like to find a formula which allows me to double the initial value and I have no idea how to do it. Like this for the value two: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2^x

Does anybody of you know math?

Edit: Got it, just multiply the formula (2^x) with your value. It's not that hard Chregu, it's not that hard...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-01-2013 03:43 AM
    Hopefully 10,000, it will take forever to reach 25,000...

Unless if all of us do a 24 hour post rampage. :P
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-01-2013 04:02 AM
    Just bought Order & Chaos. Online RPG on the move. Anyone else playing it? Lets go questing!!!!
    09-01-2013 05:11 AM
    Just bought Order & Chaos. Online RPG on the move. Anyone else playing it? Lets go questing!!!!
    Wish i had a 1GB phone, otherwise i'd play O&C with you. :(
    09-01-2013 05:28 AM
    I just notice.....

I GOT TO GO BACK TO WORK TOMORROW!!!
    09-01-2013 05:29 AM
    I just notice.....

I GOT TO GO BACK TO WORK TOMORROW!!!
    I go there for the first time. I think I will be less active here starting with tomorrow ;-)
    09-01-2013 05:31 AM
    I go there for the first time. I think I will be less active here starting with tomorrow ;-)
    Lots of things will need doing
    09-01-2013 05:35 AM
    Lots of things will need doing
    Do you think I should prepare for tomorrow, or relax and do nothing for the last time? ...I think I should prepare, but I'm not in the mood.
    09-01-2013 06:00 AM
    I haven't bothered to read through the entire thread seeing as it's 488 pages long but I'm sure there is some interesting stuff in there. Anyway, just thought I'd like to mention that I am planning on getting a Nokia Lumia 1020 sometime soon and donate my 920 to my wife. We will then put the 620 away and use it as an emergency backup phone in case one of the other Lumia's goes belly up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Martsicky likes this.
    09-01-2013 06:08 AM
    Do you think I should prepare for tomorrow, or relax and do nothing for the last time? ...I think I should prepare, but I'm not in the mood.
    I would suggest you to relax. seems that you're quality person/worker, you don't really need any preparation. Just enjoy free day, recover after your long walk and no doubt you will handle everything what happens tomorrow :p
    Chregu and MSFTisMIA like this.
    09-01-2013 06:15 AM
    I would suggest you to relax. seems that you're quality person/worker, you don't really need any preparation. Just enjoy free day, recover after your long walk and no doubt you will handle everything what happens tomorrow :p

I will read in a relaxed manner the most important papers concerning my project again, then I will at least know what they expect me to do.

My 8X just stopped recognizing head phones, it did that before but usually a restart helped. I don't want to send in my phone, the replacement during this time will be terrible :-(
    09-01-2013 06:24 AM
142,852 ... 193194195196197 ...