When I was an undergraduate student I of course had some evolution lectures. In one there was always an older lady coming. And she tended to ask "critical" questions. I loved this, the professors were able to destroy every argument of her.

When ever I noticed her becoming active, I was ready to enjoy a show ;-)
    That would have been fun. :) I wonder if she ever agreed with anything. There's too many people who think they understand the 'weakness' of evolution by using creationist websites but in reality all those arguments were destroyed a long time ago. It's sad after 150+ years of theory and there's still people living who think another book is correct.
    Chregu likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:05 AM
    I support kxip :p though i love Nokia....
    They're match is going on with csk.
    Kxip lost 2 wickets.
    I think csk is the better team here. They'll most probably win this match. But wishing luck for kxip.
    😊
    05-07-2014 10:06 AM
    Oh sorry missed the nokia part
    my bad
    Give me some sense! :D
    Do you agree with what I wrote earlier? Ignoring the typo?
    Oh sorry missed the nokia part
    my bad
    Everyone makes mistakes. If you start saying sorry for all the small mistakes, then ,well you get the point.
    😊
    05-07-2014 10:08 AM
    *sigh* I could use some carnival fun though I can't enjoy it since ill be in class for the most part :/
    05-07-2014 10:09 AM
    Here , tomorrow is a holiday as its some kind of strike.
    05-07-2014 10:12 AM
    Give me some sense! :D
    I see evolution every day in the lab. Bacteria divide up to every 20 minutes. That's an incredible amount of generations. They adapt to lab conditions, they change expression levels, they change behavior, they change protein composition. This can even be used to carry out "targeted evolution". Evolution is a tool in bacteriology used on a daily basis, and a problem that needs to be taken care of.

In whatever you believe, have you seen it happening with your own eyes?
    N_LaRUE and hope4wp like this.
    05-07-2014 10:13 AM
    Do you agree with what I wrote earlier? Ignoring the typo?
    Yes i do! I believe in dinosaurs too :) :p but i don't believe the fact that we evolved from apes...call me ignorant!
    05-07-2014 10:18 AM
    Yes i do! I believe in dinosaurs too :) :p but i don't believe the fact that we evolved from apes...call me ignorant!
    We did not. We had a common ancestor. That's something entirely different.
    05-07-2014 10:20 AM
    I'm glad you agree with the previous information.

Second, we didn't evolve from apes. We are apes. Just different than what we call 'apes'.
    Chregu likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:20 AM
    I see evolution every day in the lab. Bacteria divide up to every 20 minutes. That's an incredible amount of generations. They adapt to lab conditions, they change expression levels, they change behavior, they change protein composition. This can even be used to carry out "targeted evolution". Evolution is a tool in bacteriology used on a daily basis, and a problem that needs to be taken care of.

In whatever you believe, have you seen it happening with your own eyes?
    I haven't seen bacteria divide... But I'll ask my lab teacher to show me
    05-07-2014 10:21 AM
    I'm glad you agree with the previous information.

Second, we didn't evolve from apes. We are apes.
    Don't shock her ;-)
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:21 AM
    Don't shock her ;-)
    LOL! Well, it's true. If she's up for truth. :)
    Chregu likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:23 AM
    Interesting.topic. Keep it up.
    05-07-2014 10:24 AM
    I haven't seen bacteria divide... But I'll ask my lab teacher to show me
    It's not about dividing, it's about the long term effects.

Bacteria extracted from nature will adapt to lab conditions. They are usually provided with more food, they don't have any enemies, they don't have hosts to infect. So they evolve. The ones that divide the fastest are the ones that will survive, the other will just be left behind. That means every mutation that leads to a better adaption will manifest.

Bacteria will lose unnecessary genes, they will change the expression levels, they will lose plasmids, and all of that is reflected on a genetic level.

Also, they will most certainly die if you put them back after a few months in the lab.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:24 AM
    It's not about dividing, it's about the long term effects.

Bacteria extracted from nature will adapt to lab conditions. They are usually provided with more food, they don't have any enemies, they don't have hosts to infect. So they evolve. The ones that divide the fastest are the ones that will survive, the other will just be left behind. That means every mutation that leads to a better adaption will manifest.

Bacteria will lose unnecessary genes, they will change the expression levels, they will lose plasmids, and all of that is reflected on a genetic level.

Also, they will most certainly die if you put them back after a few months in the lab.
    Are you keeping a 'snap shot' of the generations like another experiment I recall? They were using e-coli I believe. They started new colonies and one eventually evolved to eat a food that was usually poisonous to them. Interesting stuff.
    Chregu likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:29 AM
    Young people are strange creatures....
    And you found it out now? 😊
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    Okay, I take back what I said, kxip on a roll!
    Kxip FTW!!!
    Okay, I take back what I said, kxip on a roll!
    Kxip FTW!!!

That's alot of kxip
    05-07-2014 10:31 AM
    And you found it out now? 😊
    Well I've known for some time. It's just one of those things that slips your memory when you talk to people. It's easy to forget how old people on here are.
    kmji1957 likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:31 AM
    Are you keeping a 'snap shot' of the generations like another experiment I recall? They were using e-coli I believe. They started new colonies and one eventually evolved to eat a food that was usually poisonous to them. Interesting stuff.
    We have people in our building that work on stuff like this, I don't do it. We have a stock of bacteria frozen and after a while you just take new ones. Also, they are already lab strains, so they don't evolve much anymore. You can't get better than good at using the provided resources, at least in the time frame we give them :)
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:32 AM
    This evolution talk is making me more hungry
    05-07-2014 10:33 AM
    We have people in our building that work on stuff like this, I don't do it. We have a stock of bacteria frozen and after a while you just take new ones. Also, they are already lab strains, so they don't evolve much anymore. You can't get better than good at using the provided resources, at least in the time frame we give them :)
    Sounds like an interesting experiment you got going. :)
    Chregu and kmji1957 like this.
    05-07-2014 10:34 AM
    This evolution talk is making me more hungry
    Brain takes energy. :P
    Chregu likes this.
    05-07-2014 10:35 AM
142,802 ... 24842485248624872488 ...