WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

proboyme

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WPC 10K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I am one of the biggest fans of Nokia...i love the Windows Phone OS...but ofc I do believe it needs lots of improvements...when I heard the Nokia acquisition today morning...i was sad..i was vvv sad for Nokia...but then I got thinking...and I think that now maybe Microsoft can get sufficiently dedicated to building an OS better than Android and iOS...and let Nokia work its magic on the world again once again...:)

Sent from my L920

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Still taking in all the news. Samsung and Apple sadly have the new wave blueprint that MSFT is copying. If they acquire Blackberry's enterprise portfolio, things really come a three ecosystem arms race. Many of the old companies like Nokia, Moto are dead as we know them, Blackberry and HTC are on fumes. I suppose it is the price of progress. Perhaps it means I need to get that 1020, because like the 808 before it, it signifies the end of an era...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Been a couple days since I posted... seems like the entire mobile landscape has shifted since then..

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Still taking in all the news. Samsung and Apple sadly have the new wave blueprint that MSFT is copying. If they acquire Blackberry's enterprise portfolio, things really come a three ecosystem arms race. Many of the old companies like Nokia, Moto are dead as we know them, Blackberry and HTC are on fumes. I suppose it is the price of progress. Perhaps it means I need to get that 1020, because like the 808 before it, it signifies the end of an era...

Guess we will see what happens when the "Fire Sale" gets ignited up in Canada. Most likely after the BlackBerry A10 gets released in early fall. If by some stroke of luck it is a hit, BB remains on life support. If it starts slow, then BB will move into their plan B which is much like what Nokia did- with less cash value.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

A question for y'all, I'm looking to buy a W8 laptop for university this semester (mainly for programming onwards), and I want it to be also my mini gaming computer so Im looking for an Asus branded laptop because they have all that good NVIDIA chips. Now... I have yet to see one with a touch screen (I may be wrong?), but even if there is I highly suspect it is expensive af. So, I want to know how is the experience without a touchscreen? The gestures seem cool when I tried them in store, but how annoying is it to keep this up and does it take long to get used to? :D Thanks

I know Acer has some good looking laptops for these things but... I never trusted Acer for long living laptops. I want to buy a good one and I want it to last... I'm not balling out of control here lol

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

My plan seems to work out. My plan to take over the world, is still in the works, but the other plan seems to work out.

Got up at 6.30., went for a run at 6.40, was back at 7.45, no I'm eating my morning yogurt and drink my tea, after that I take a shower and will make it easily to work before 9 A.M. I want to do this now every Wednesday to keep my evening free. And the rest of the week I want to get up at 7 and be at work at 8. I run twice at weekends, so this should be quite optimal.

Running was beautiful this morning. I could watch the sun rise, there was some fog on the ground, and the river made for a great scenery. ...soon, further into autumn it will just be night.

I think I will buy a touch screen laptop only for the sake of it. I don't see me touching the display too much, mostly because I despite 'Metro' apps on a computer. But who knows.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Maybe I'm weird because I actually like Windows 8 on a non-touch computer (and like the Metro apps).

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

My setup at home allows for a good balance between the two. If I want I can sit back on my sofa keyboard on my lap and mouse on the armrest of the chair, if I need to I can always just sit forwards and use the touchscreen - It took me about 2 days of using both methods of input before it all just appears seamless - I don't even really need to think about transitioning from touch to keyboard and mouse and back again.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Maybe I'm weird because I actually like Windows 8 on a non-touch computer (and like the Metro apps).

I don't think so, different people have different opinions and that's a good thing :)

I think I was just often working with software that offered an enormous amount of options and needed them (AutoCAD for example) and I just can't stand all this wasted space on a big screen. Metro works beautifully on a phone and I think it works also very well on a tablet, but on a productive computer I just don't need or want it.

But as I think Windows 8.1 is a step into the right direction, and I'll stay with Windows for another few years, who knows, maybe I'll get into it too :)

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I'm with you on that. I have a touchscreen on my Vaio Pro 13, but I actually don't use it that much. Once I configured the touchpad and gestures, it works really well. Only my parents use the touchscreen since it seems more intuitive to them. Very happy with Win8 so far.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Morning all.

Since we're on the topic of computers. Does anyone recommend a 'very' good virus scanner/adware remover? I'm talking top notch here. I seem to be having some difficulty with my machine. I don't usually bother with virus programs or adware ones as I don't usually visit sites or download things that would harm my computer. However something appears to have got on there and now my machine is running real slow.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm contemplating doing a complete re-install of the OS. However I did just the upgrade to Windows 8 so not sure how that would work.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft's Defender does the job but if you want a good third party solution try avast.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Just the thought of doing a re-install <shudders>. Sigh.

On Windows 8 you don't have to reinstall. You can refresh your install which keeps everything but your desktop apps in tact and resets the main os. Or you could restart the os which basically does a full system reinstall at the push of a button. Check settings>general from the start screen.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

On Windows 8 you don't have to reinstall. You can refresh your install which keeps everything but your desktop apps in tact and resets the main os. Or you could restart the os which basically does a full system reinstall at the push of a button. Check settings>general from the start screen.

Ah yes I forgot about that option. I'll have to give that a go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro