Check out latest discoveries and more with the New Scientist magazine on Windows 8 | Windows Phone Central

I am a scientist and have never heard of this. Probably because it's popular science. Popular science could be very interesting, but judging from the headlines on the screenshot, they go all popular with only little science.
    06-11-2014 04:12 AM
    Gold is worth something because it's rather rare, and if you've seen some in real life, you should know that they actually look nice. (And, they have some practical use to boot.)

In fact, money was initially backed by gold. Money is supposed to represent gold.

Well, now that the US doesn't back the USD with gold anymore, all we get are some promises. The financial system nowadays is based o trust.
    You're half right.

Gold is still, to this day, the basis of currency. The US and UK and other countries have tonnes of the stuff. It's not as rare as people make it out to be.

The only reason why gold became such a high standard and worth something is because of looks, no other reason. We were a barter system, then currency because easier to use.

As for today's markets. It's still based on trade. Money is just the foundation of it and gold is still the bedrock. I know you use the word promises but it's a bit more complicated than that. Also the US still believes it's currency is the basis for the world. It's not, gold is.
    06-11-2014 04:23 AM
    Check out latest discoveries and more with the New Scientist magazine on Windows 8 | Windows Phone Central

I am a scientist and have never heard of this. Probably because it's popular science. Popular science could be very interesting, but judging from the headlines on the screenshot, they go all popular with only little science.
    New Scientist has had some bad headlines over the last few years. The worst was their 'Darwin was Wrong' cover. A lot of scientists were really annoyed with that one.
    Chregu likes this.
    06-11-2014 04:26 AM
    New Scientist has had some bad headlines over the last few years. The worst was their 'Darwin was Wrong' cover. A lot of scientists were really annoyed with that one.
    Yeah, I'll probably stay away from it then...
    06-11-2014 04:28 AM
    06-11-2014 04:28 AM
    Yeah, I'll probably stay away from it then...
    Some of their stuff is interesting though. I use the Zinio app which is connected to my library here for free mags and I have it on my tablet and phone. If it's free I don't mind having a read. :)
    Chregu likes this.
    06-11-2014 04:40 AM
    I've come to the conclusion that the tag line for Windows Phone should be - It will be worth the waiting
    Chregu, MSFTisMIA and sahib lopez like this.
    06-11-2014 04:53 AM
    😆😆👍
    06-11-2014 06:42 AM
    I've come to the conclusion that the tag line for Windows Phone should be - It will be worth the waiting
    "But we don't know when the pay off will be happening!"
    06-11-2014 06:50 AM
    Just throw your gold aroud dude
    06-11-2014 06:57 AM
    Just throw your gold aroud dude
    Who? I only have a few grams gold.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-11-2014 07:03 AM
    Who? I only have a few grams gold.
    What? You being the 'mad' scientist of the thread hasn't figured out how to make gold yet? I'm so disappointed now. :/

:P
    Chregu and sahib lopez like this.
    06-11-2014 07:06 AM
    That's why we wait and wait and wait some more.... because it will be worth it. So we're told.
    Chregu likes this.
    06-11-2014 07:07 AM
    Compared to all the crap on the world my feces is very rare too, it's still worth nothing at all.

I understand that gold was worth something once, when it was used as money. I don't see a reason why it should be expensive nowadays.
    It's used to hedge against money.

If you follow the financial markets, the value of gold generally rises when the value of the dollar falls.

In other words, if people are scared of losing money by possessing it, they buy gold. (Or some other commodity.)
    06-11-2014 07:13 AM
    Every OS that Nokia has gotten into deserves this tagline.

That includes the Symbian OS and Maemo lineage.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    06-11-2014 07:16 AM
    " It will be worth the waiting"
    I think these two quotes have been used by men chasing women since the dawn of time as well...
    06-11-2014 07:22 AM
    Morning folks. Running late. Super exhausted - would have called out today except there was an important appointment I need to make for a patient for tomorrow. Sometimes one's word take precedence over one's level of exhaustion...
    06-11-2014 07:24 AM
    What? You being the 'mad' scientist of the thread hasn't figured out how to make gold yet? I'm so disappointed now. :/

:P
    If I knew how to do it I would be clever enough not to tell everybody ;-)
    MSFTisMIA, N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    06-11-2014 07:26 AM
    I'm positively surprised how often I use my tablet. It has replaced my alarm clock, then I use it in the morning to read my newspaper and check other news. I use it often for the forum at home. I watch TV shows when cycling in the fitness center. I always take it to my girlfriend's place and use it there. It's also nice for traveling.

After I was afraid of buying a tablet because I thought I'd never use it, that's quite a relief.
    WanderingTraveler and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-11-2014 07:35 AM
    If I knew how to do it I would be clever enough not to tell everybody ;-)
    It better be the real gold as anyone can make that imitation ****...😫 😜
    Chregu, N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    06-11-2014 07:38 AM
    I'm positively surprised how often I use my tablet. It has replaced my alarm clock, then I use it in the morning to read my newspaper and check other news. I use it often for the forum at home. I watch TV shows when cycling in the fitness center. I always take it to my girlfriend's place and use it there. It's also nice for traveling.

After I was afraid of buying a tablet because I thought I'd never use it, that's quite a relief.
    Well, none of us here are surprised how often you use it. It is an Apple product that has calmed down your Apple itch considerably - for now. 😜

What I'm somewhat surprised about is your ability to use it at your girlfriend's place. I was under the impression that iPadding her was better...😏
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-11-2014 07:42 AM
    Well, none of us here are surprised how often you use it. What I'm somewhat surprised about is your ability to use it at your girlfriend's place. I was under the impression that iPadding her was better...
    I'm surprised myself how much time that iPadding her takes in this relationship, or let's say about my stamina. Did I really just go there? But there are always the calm moments I show her pictures on the tablet or we look stuff up or we listen to Spotify with it ;-)
    MSFTisMIA, N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    06-11-2014 07:43 AM
    Days like today I curse HTC for not putting Qi wireless charging in all the 8X models, as I'd have a wireless charging me ad in my office at work. Guess it is onto the external battery pack...
    06-11-2014 07:46 AM
    It better be the real gold as anyone can make that imitation ****...
    I love me some Pyrite.
    06-11-2014 07:46 AM
    I'm surprised myself how much time that iPadding her takes in this relationship, or let's say about my stamina. Did I really just go there? But there are always the calm moments I show her pictures on the tablet or we look stuff up or we listen to Spotify with it ;-)
    Lol! In my case, the GF usually has Pandora playing on her Nexus 7 sometimes during iPadding, so I guess that's a lot of juggling electrical current and charges?

She seriously likes her S4 + Nexus 7 setup, thanks to me actually. I got her the Qi charge cover for the S4 and the TYLT charger and she's been happy as a lark. She was too into Android, although she loves both the 925's low light and my own low light prowess...
    Chregu, N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    06-11-2014 07:51 AM
142,805 ... 27922793279427952796 ...