If you mean Amelia Earhart....no!
    yeah I mean her ! and oh ...
    06-17-2014 11:35 AM
    Star warssssss!!
    im waiting up on the Disney release with star wars
    06-17-2014 11:36 AM
    Should be studying!!! Should be....i could and i should....
    06-17-2014 11:38 AM
    Should be studying!!! Should be....i could and i should....
    there is time to rest and time to study :P if I knew I was studying a lot I would take one day just to unwind and chill
    06-17-2014 11:40 AM
    Antibiotic resistances are a main tool of bacteriology. It has many applications, mostly for selection purposes.

If you bring a plasmid (a DNA fragment that works like a little genome) into bacteria, you usually have a antibiotic cassette on it. The bacteria that take up the plasmid will express proteins that make them resistant to the antibiotics and will thus survive and/or grow, while bacteria without them will die or not grow. After bacteria have taken up the plasmid and are selected for it, you have to keep growing them in the antibiotics, as they would lose the plasmid after a while without it (replicating the plasmid costs time and energy, if they don't need it it will get lost as the bacteria without it will just grow faster).

Another application is the selection for successful transductants after bringing a gene into the bacteria with viruses.

It can also be used as a negative selection tool, to select for the bacteria that have lost the sensibility to antibiotics (you have to screen for them on plates with the antibiotics and without them).

This is only a selection of the most broadly used applications of antibiotics. It's an elementary tool of our work.

Now about the color changing part. There are multiple different screening methods that rely on colonies that change color. Bacteria do however not just change color when they express a resistance gene. We use multiple antibiotics (I work with ampicillin and tetracycline on a daily basis) and they don't change color only because of the resistance cassette.

I don't know to what screen or gene you were referring to :)
    Thanks for the descriptive info and for taking the time to type such a long post ✉😊 . I read about plasmids and all the other stuff in high school 📚 but not in such detail as you have described. It's amazing to know you are doing this stuff practically...... What to do,I'm in India-they don't have much in terms of lab infrastructure and research here for biology :( You must be from the U.S., no?
    06-17-2014 11:41 AM
    More 3.9k comments ! Gogogo! :D ;)
    06-17-2014 11:43 AM
    More 3.9k comments ! Gogogo! :D ;)
    ._. where did yoe get 3.9 comments ?
    06-17-2014 11:48 AM
    clap clap :D
    06-17-2014 11:51 AM
    Thanks for the descriptive info and for taking the time to type such a long post ✉ . I read about plasmids and all the other stuff in high school  but not in such detail as you have described. It's amazing to know you are doing this stuff practically...... What to do,I'm in India-they don't have much in terms of lab infrastructure and research here for biology :( You must be from the U.S., no?
    I'm a very fast in typing and this stuff just flows out of me ;-)

Often I realized only later what I was actually supposed to learn in high school. Often you learn something but you don't really get the connection to practical things. It's much harder to remember that way and not understanding why you have to learn this stuff does never help.

I'm from Switzerland. I didn't have too much biology before entering university what also has to do with quite a strange way I took to get there. As of universities, there are quite some good universities in India with top-notch infrastructure :)
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    06-17-2014 12:19 PM
    I'm a very fast in typing and this stuff just flows out of me ;-)

Often I realized only later what I was actually supposed to learn in high school. Often you learn something but you don't really get the connection to practical things. It's much harder to remember that way and not understanding why you have to learn this stuff does never help.

I'm from Switzerland. I didn't have too much biology before entering university what also has to do with quite a strange way I took to get there. As of universities, there are quite some good universities in India with top-notch infrastructure :)
    Hmm... Which universities do you mean?
    06-17-2014 12:32 PM
    ima watch a venom documentary :P
    06-17-2014 12:40 PM
    snake scientist are brave people to work with deadly snakes D:..... I wonder if snowflake can do that o.o
    06-17-2014 12:44 PM
    Hmm... Which universities do you mean?
    I couldn't name you one. I'm a little ignorant when it comes to cities and names ;-)

I was saying that based on all the people from India working in our universities labs that were trained (very well) in India. I actually don't remember specific universities...
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    06-17-2014 01:01 PM
    snake scientist are brave people to work with deadly snakes D:..... I wonder if snowflake can do that o.o
    Why should I be capable of working with snakes? I'm a molecular biologist, not a snake charmer...
    MSFTisMIA and sahib lopez like this.
    06-17-2014 01:02 PM
    Sahib, here’s your freebie of the week. It’s part of a conversation I had with a patient (PT) earlier:

MIA: So are you working?
    PT: (rolls eyes). Yes. Retail.
    MIA: How long have you been doing that?
    PT: Overall time, 3 years. I quit and went back.
    MIA: Why did you quit?
    PT: I hated getting paid $7.25/hr
    MIA: Understandable. So, why did you go back?
    PT: I hated getting paid $0.00/hr
    sahib lopez likes this.
    06-17-2014 01:04 PM
    Sahib with over 20K posts. Me with just a shade over 4K. Hmp. That's all I have to say.
    06-17-2014 01:05 PM
    Why should I be capable of working with snakes? I'm a molecular biologist, not a snake charmer...
    well idk
    Chregu likes this.
    06-17-2014 01:06 PM
    Sahib, here’s your freebie of the week. It’s part of a conversation I had with a patient (PT) earlier:

MIA: So are you working?
    PT: (rolls eyes). Yes. Retail.
    MIA: How long have you been doing that?
    PT: Overall time, 3 years. I quit and went back.
    MIA: Why did you quit?
    PT: I hated getting paid $7.25/hr
    MIA: Understandable. So, why did you go back?
    PT: I hated getting paid $0.00/hr
    lol seems like something that any teen of my generation would say
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    06-17-2014 01:09 PM
    Sahib with over 20K posts. Me with just a shade over 4K. Hmp. That's all I have to say.
    lol I seem to lose count of my many posts I have
    06-17-2014 01:12 PM
    whoa some squirrels can take a snake bite and venom from a rattle snake o.o that's crazy !
    06-17-2014 01:17 PM
    I wonder if we will start to see squirrels fighting snakes o.o
    06-17-2014 01:19 PM
    Well, somebody dislikes the 630.

Nokia Lumia 630 review: An affordable phone you can live without

(And please remember the 86 for the 1520, the 87 for the Icon before we start with bashing Engadget for being unfair ;-) )
    06-17-2014 01:22 PM
    I have been on Windows Phone for over a year, I passionately waited for something to happen but nothing big came so now I'm on Android, more precise on a Samsung Galaxy S5. Good bye.

Poslano z mojega Samsunga Galaxy S5
    06-17-2014 01:22 PM
    here is the video im watching
    06-17-2014 01:23 PM
    I have been on Windows Phone for over a year, I passionately waited for something to happen but nothing big came so now I'm on Android, more precise on a Samsung Galaxy S5. Good bye.

Poslano z mojega Samsunga Galaxy S5
    ok........... ? later ?
    06-17-2014 01:23 PM
142,830 ... 28332834283528362837 ...