Where are you seeing that???
    I saw this on the "Who will win world cup?" Article
    07-14-2014 06:27 AM
    I saw this on the "Who will win world cup?" Article
    Yeah, there are a few of them.
    07-14-2014 06:27 AM
    That is ridiculous, I have read many a complaint about the battery, particularly after PFD. Do you think Cyan will fix it? Or, is the hardware just unable to keep up/work well with 8.1?
    I'm assuming it's the lack of the Cyan update that's doing it. I am on WP8.1 at the moment. My phone heats up fairly easily doing the most basic of tasks. Heat and batteries do not go well together.

I did a reinstall of the WP8 firmware, upgraded to WP8.1 and did a hard reset. Though it's a bit better than it used to be it's still sub par. I've not been impressed with the L920 batter life since I had the phone. It's been worse than mediocre. Now it's just simply dreadful. I simply hate taking it anywhere when I know I can't easily recharge it. Thankfully restaurant we had dinner at had outlets available so I was able to recharge before heading home. Our trains are still ancient and lack any of the modern comforts like a USB charging port or outlet.
    07-14-2014 06:31 AM
    Okay, I'm pressed for time, since I still have to review for a few tests.

It's been quite some time since I used Firefox and Opera, and one thing strikes me quite deeply.
    Firefox looks like Chrome. Opera works like Chrome.

Looks like the browser (engine) battle in the next few years will be Blink (sorry WebKit, but your flagship browser looks like Chrome now and is more bloated.) and Trident.

All I know is that the devs are siding with [S]WebKit[/S]Blink.
    07-14-2014 06:35 AM
    Okay, I'm pressed for time, since I still have to review for a few tests.

It's been quite some time since I used Firefox and Opera, and one thing strikes me quite deeply.
    Firefox looks like Chrome. Opera works like Chrome.

Looks like the browser (engine) battle in the next few years will be Blink (sorry WebKit, but your flagship browser looks like Chrome now and is more bloated.) and Trident.

All I know is that the devs are siding with [S]WebKit[/S]Blink.
    This was very random.
    07-14-2014 06:36 AM
    I'm assuming it's the lack of the Cyan update that's doing it. I am on WP8.1 at the moment. My phone heats up fairly easily doing the most basic of tasks. Heat and NiCad batteries do not go well together.

I did a reinstall of the WP8 firmware, upgraded to WP8.1 and did a hard reset. Though it's a bit better than it used to be it's still sub par. I've not been impressed with the L920 batter life since I had the phone. It's been worse than mediocre. Now it's just simply dreadful. I simply hate taking it anywhere when I know I can't easily recharge it. Thankfully restaurant we had dinner at had outlets available so I was able to recharge before heading home. Our trains are still ancient and lack any of the modern comforts like a USB charging port or outlet.
    I'm curious, does your phone really use a NiCad battery? Last I checked, most phones nowadays go with a Li-ion battery.

Of course, heat degrades (and can cause spectacular accidents) both batteries.
    07-14-2014 06:36 AM
    This was very random.
    I told you, I'm rather pressed for time.

And I only really use Firefox at school because the IT people don't know how to change the proxy on IE, so there's that.
    Chregu likes this.
    07-14-2014 06:37 AM
    It was special and refreshing 4 years ago, and I think on Windows Phone 7 it was also beautiful, but at the same time very unpractical. Actually back then they were very proud of the negative space. They later forgot everything about this for Windows Phone 8 with tiles over the entire screen width that are resizable; much more practical, but not really beautiful to my taste. It can be extremely busy...

Still I think it's nice, I think it's really okay, but nowadays it's neither beautiful nor refreshing, nor in any way special.
    Three-tile row for the win!

You may not appreciate it, but I do...because it allows me to emulate the WP7 Start Screen. (Well, it has five or so tiles per column instead of just four.)
    Chregu likes this.
    07-14-2014 06:39 AM
    I'm curious, does your phone really use a NiCad battery? Last I checked, most phones nowadays go with a Li-ion battery.

Of course, heat degrades (and can cause spectacular accidents) both batteries.
    My mistake. No difference though with regards to heat issues.
    Microsoft Mobile is still located in Espoo, Finland.
    *Based in

However, [S]Nokia D&S[/S] Microsoft Mobile phones are not manufactured in Espoo anymore.
    Sad, really.
    N_LaRUE and kmji1957 like this.
    Does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut that enables strikethrough?

It's quite frustrating when you have to type the [S] and its corresponding endtag manually.
    07-14-2014 06:43 AM
    Three-tile row for the win!

You may not appreciate it, but I do...because it allows me to emulate the WP7 Start Screen. (Well, it has five or so tiles per column instead of just four.)
    It's very useful, but makes the homescreen even busier. I like it, but beautiful is most certainly not the term I'd use to describe it ;-)
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-14-2014 06:43 AM
    It's very useful, but makes the homescreen even busier. I like it, but beautiful is most certainly not the term I'd use to describe it ;-)
    Attachment 71049
    I've never really wanted small tiles, so this is what I ended up with so I could ditch them.

(And I put up the word emulate for you to see ;))
    Chregu and MSFTisMIA like this.
    07-14-2014 06:46 AM
    hahtorrents.png
    No, OP, Microsoft does not do torrents.
    hope4wp and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-14-2014 07:17 AM
    I've never really wanted small tiles, so this is what I ended up with so I could ditch them.

Nice, very Windows Phone 7 like!

Apart from the proportions and the background ;-)
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    07-14-2014 07:30 AM
    That means nothing. MS is not a Finnish company, it's an American company. Nokia is Finnish. Named after the town.
    @ Wandering Traveller and N_LaRUE Why does it matter whether the company is Finnish or American? It's the device that matters... The quality is still the same(Awesome) regardless of the company's origin/current location :)
    07-14-2014 07:35 AM
    @ Wandering Traveller and N_LaRUE Why does it matter whether the company is Finnish or American? It's the device that matters... The quality is still the same(Awesome) regardless of the company's origin/current location :)
    The round circle on Sahib's cartoon had the Finnish flag all over it. That's why I mentioned it. We all know that Microsoft is an US company, the guy making the cartoon obviously not.
    WanderingTraveler and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-14-2014 07:38 AM
    The round circle on Sahib's cartoon had the Finnish flag all over it. That's why I mentioned it. We all know that Microsoft is an US company, the guy making the cartoon obviously not.
    We have to mention the distinction between Microhard and Microsoft, though.
    07-14-2014 07:51 AM
    Nice, very Windows Phone 7 like!

Apart from the proportions and the background ;-)
    Proportions are good enough, really. It's a shame I can't return that large space at the top so I could fit exactly four tiles on the Start Screen.
    07-14-2014 07:52 AM
    We have to mention the distinction between Microhard and Microsoft, though.
    That's a sex joke, right?
    07-14-2014 07:53 AM
    Also, I found the quality of Nokia phones were a lot better prior to WP8. I've been quite disappointed with the L920 and pretty much anything else that's come out except maybe the L925.

People go on about the Nokia phones I have to say they're nothing like they used to be.

As for who makes the phone I never had an issue with MS buying Nokia other than the fact that Nokia was a good company at one point that lost their way. Nokia phones are made in China not Finland anyway. the R&D was in Finland.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    07-14-2014 07:55 AM
    That's a sex joke, right?
    Got me. :/
    Chregu likes this.
    07-14-2014 07:56 AM
    I'm not really expecting much out of hardware these days. From a hardware perspective I just want a good battery, nice screen and something that looks nice. Of course I want good specs in general.

What matters most is software now. Ignoring the eye candy nonsense that people seem to treasure all I really want is a solid OS which works. I have no idea about iOS but so far WP hasn't been perfect and Android though OK but is not perfect either. I've had some minor things with both but nothing overly serious. From a usability aspect I think Android offers more for me as it has the apps I want. From a ease of use aspect I think WP is better in some regards. However on the whole WP has failed more on me than Android.

I wouldn't call either interface 'beautiful' as some people seem to do. To me an interface is about getting what I want done with minimum headache. I don't care about eye candy. I want utility. That's more important to me above all else. I know people call iOS boring but you could say the same about Xp and Win 7 yet people screamed like bloody murder when MS brought in W8. So I don't quite see the whole boring interface vs utility thing. Maybe it's just me.
    That's because MSFT was full of themselves and tried to force fed the PC market Windows 8. It is a good OS, but people are creatures of habit. I've used iOS briefly since I left them 3 years ago, and to me, not much has changed. I think my foray with WP has equipped me better to use Android and be less Google dependent. At the end of the day it is a matter of making tradeoffs and picking what people think is best for them.

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra
    Chregu likes this.
    07-14-2014 08:02 AM
    I feel exactly the same. There's nothing that really blows me away. A year ago it would have been the HTC One M7 I think, except of the camera. And even back then it was only because I like metal phones and HTC.

As we already know what the iPhone 6 will look like and bring to the table with iOS8, I don't think that will change much. But I've already bought an international navigation software for my iPad, so that would be an argument. But not really, as a highend Android phone would still be much cheaper than an iPhone and I could easily afford another navigation software for Android ;-)
    That's the thing where of raw power at a cheaper price is what you seek, a G3 maybe a better choice than any iPhone. But Apple always gets you for the premium experience with the inflated prices. I took a hit and got one of dear friend an iPad Air for her 30th birthday. I did that because not only are we close friends and she was worth taking the hit for, but I wanted her to have that brand new Apple experience. She had tried a Lumia 900 when she went to AT&T and thought it was OK, but switched to an iPhone 4 which she still has (she was a BB girl for years and years).

Ultimately what do people want? A good marriage of hardware and software. The current climate doesn't suit folks like me who like multiple OSes because they want you locked into one thing for repeat business. Especially Apple. Look at HTC for example, when the M8 came out, there was an article I read where most of the early adopters where existing HTC customers. Everyone wants to add new customers but with the high end market so fierce, people are less likely to switch platforms if they buy paid apps that aren't 1 fee cross platform.

Chregu likes this.
    07-14-2014 08:10 AM
    Attachment 71049

I see your brought the WP7 gutter look back. Nice...

WanderingTraveler likes this.
    07-14-2014 08:11 AM
144,784 ... 30093010301130123013 ...