I'm assuming it's the lack of the Cyan update that's doing it. I am on WP8.1 at the moment. My phone heats up fairly easily doing the most basic of tasks. Heat and batteries do not go well together.

I did a reinstall of the WP8 firmware, upgraded to WP8.1 and did a hard reset. Though it's a bit better than it used to be it's still sub par. I've not been impressed with the L920 batter life since I had the phone. It's been worse than mediocre. Now it's just simply dreadful. I simply hate taking it anywhere when I know I can't easily recharge it. Thankfully restaurant we had dinner at had outlets available so I was able to recharge before heading home. Our trains are still ancient and lack any of the modern comforts like a USB charging port or outlet.
    That's bad. I think you may have gotten a funny unit with a battery that's gone progressively worse over the course of your owbership. I won't lie, I used to charge mine nightly too. Since all my phones have sealed in batteries I invested in the attached battery pack to cover my bases.

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra
    Attached Thumbnails 65727.jpg Β 
    07-14-2014 08:17 AM
    Ultimately what do people want? A good marriage of hardware and software. The current climate doesn't suit folks like me who like multiple OSes because they want you locked into one thing for repeat business. Especially Apple. Look at HTC for example, when the M8 came out, there was an article I read where most of the early adopters where existing HTC customers. Everyone wants to add new customers but with the high end market so fierce, people are less likely to switch platforms if they buy paid apps that aren't 1 fee cross platform.
    There's not much out there that offers both good hardware and software. Apple may be close but there are things that irritate me too much about Apple. Other high end offerings always seem to lack something hardware wise. Especially on WP. On WP you lack the app experience that the others have.

Cross platform apps would be a welcome change to the scene. Don't see it happening soon. :/
    07-14-2014 08:18 AM
    Also, I found the quality of Nokia phones were a lot better prior to WP8. I've been quite disappointed with the L920 and pretty much anything else that's come out except maybe the L925.

People go on about the Nokia phones I have to say they're nothing like they used to be.

As for who makes the phone I never had an issue with MS buying Nokia other than the fact that Nokia was a good company at one point that lost their way. Nokia phones are made in China not Finland anyway. the R&D was in Finland.
    Agreed. Once they went to making the bulk of their units via foxconn in China, they became like everyone else - hit or miss in the build quality. At least HTC still controls most of their mid range and high end models in Taiwan, but they can be hit or miss at times too.

07-14-2014 08:19 AM
    That's bad. I think you may have gotten a funny unit with a battery that's gone progressively worse over the course of your owbership. I won't lie, I used to charge mine nightly too. Since all my phones have sealed in batteries I invested in the attached battery pack to cover my bases.

I have one but I didn't think to charge it before we left and I thought I would have an opportunity to charge while out. Which I did, twice...

Everything I do on the L920 these days heats the unit up. If it keeps it up I may get rid of it sooner. I'm waiting for Cyan to see if things change. If not, it goes.

When I went to Cardiff I used my GPS and the phone got so hot the battery practically died even though it was plugged in and the GPS went funny.

So yeah, I'm not a happy camper at the moment. I have thought of going back to WP8 but I do like some of the aspects of WP8.1.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    07-14-2014 08:21 AM
    There's not much out there that offers both good hardware and software. Apple may be close but there are things that irritate me too much about Apple. Other high end offerings always seem to lack something hardware wise. Especially on WP. On WP you lack the app experience that the others have.

Cross platform apps would be a welcome change to the scene. Don't see it happening soon. :/
    Agreed. There's a lot in Apple that irritates me to say that I do t think I'd use their stuff as a primary but I would have one lying around for the still good enough quick resale value.

At this point I need a good camera, good battery life, a smallish enough form factor and a UI that is friendly to me with enough apps for my usage. Design wise I still like WP above all, but they've got an odd combo of hardware out now that's frankly unappealing. Meanwhile I can get a Nexus 5 and with my knowledge, root it, throw on a Stock tweaked ROM and do some things to limit Google and increase battery life.

Tell me why on the Android WPcentral app it was easy as pie to add a picture and yet on WPCentral I've got to use Taptalk? It's like MSFT has all the good APIs hiding under their hat and not sharing them with devs and OEMs to restrict hardware. I'd love the charge light indicator in my 8X to flash BB style when I have a notification. I'd love the windows key to do the same. I'd love to set Proshot as my default camera app launched by the hardware button. All these will get lost as the newer WPs start to look like Nexus models with blank black screens and on screen buttons.

N_LaRUE and WanderingTraveler like this.
    07-14-2014 08:28 AM
    Tell me why on the Android WPcentral app it was easy as pie to add a picture and yet on WPCentral I've got to use Taptalk? It's like MSFT has all the good APIs hiding under their hat and not sharing them with devs and OEMs to restrict hardware. I'd love the charge light indicator in my 8X to flash BB style when I have a notification. I'd love the windows key to do the same. I'd love to set Proshot as my default camera app launched by the hardware button. All these will get lost as the newer WPs start to look like Nexus models with blank black screens and on screen buttons.
    You've just described the one thing that has baffled me since day one with WP. I can appreciate the security but it's locked down too much. How about just limiting the devs to personal information rather than locking down the whole device?
    07-14-2014 08:50 AM
    I have one but I didn't think to charge it before we left and I thought I would have an opportunity to charge while out. Which I did, twice...

Everything I do on the L920 these days heats the unit up. If it keeps it up I may get rid of it sooner. I'm waiting for Cyan to see if things change. If not, it goes.

When I went to Cardiff I used my GPS and the phone got so hot the battery practically died even though it was plugged in and the GPS went funny.

So yeah, I'm not a happy camper at the moment. I have thought of going back to WP8 but I do like some of the aspects of WP8.1.
    That's me in a nutshell. I like some parts of 8.1 and some parts of 8.0. I understand some of the moves MSFT mades are for the long play, but in the meantime it doesn't make the transitions smoother.

07-14-2014 08:55 AM
    You've just described the one thing that has baffled me since day one with WP. I can appreciate the security but it's locked down too much. How about just limiting the devs to personal information rather than locking down the whole device?
    Guess they saw how early Android and their own Windows Mobile went, looked at Apple starting to make money hand over fist and said, "let's do that"! 3 years and this same old mishmash later, they're spinning their wheels as to why WP isn't selling.

N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-14-2014 08:58 AM
    Guess they saw how early Android and their own Windows Mobile went, looked at Apple starting to make money hand over fist and said, "let's do that"! 3 years and this same old mishmash later, they're spinning their wheels as to why WP isn't selling.

Well maybe this week we'll finally get an idea what they're up to with the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference. Will there be Android on WP? Will there be a Lumia Android? Will WP still suck in a year? What better hardware is coming? The world wants to know. :P LOL!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    07-14-2014 09:10 AM
    Well maybe this week we'll finally get an idea what they're up to with the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference. Will there be Android on WP? Will there be a Lumia Android? Will WP still suck in a year? What better hardware is coming? The world wants to know. :P LOL!
    They will present disappointing results and make some foggy promises ;-)

When does it start in European time?
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-14-2014 09:16 AM
    I've never been a Nokia fan even when they were market leader. I was proud of them as a Finn of course, but not a fan.
    N_LaRUE and Chregu like this.
    07-14-2014 09:30 AM
    They will present disappointing results and make some foggy promises ;-)

When does it start in European time?
    14:45
    Chregu likes this.
    07-14-2014 09:37 AM
    14:45
    So they have already started. I'll wait for a summary to show up.
    07-14-2014 09:39 AM
    I've never been a Nokia fan even when they were market leader. I was proud of them as a Finn of course, but not a fan.
    Me neither. When I bought my first phone everybody had either Nokia or Ericsson here. The Ericssons were very ugly and had this uncomfortable antenna, so most people bought Nokias.

Later when Ericssons got prettier I had a few of them too, then I made the switch to Microsoft OS devices anyway. For me Nokia was never something special, just something common and familiar.
    kmji1957 likes this.
    07-14-2014 09:42 AM
    Btw. former Nokia HQ, now Microsoft Mobile in Espoo isn't far away from where I live.
    Chregu and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-14-2014 09:45 AM
    Btw. former Nokia HQ, now Microsoft Mobile in Espoo isn't far away from where I live.
    You should spy on them for us to find out if they build any new high-end Windows Phone devices, any higher-end Android devices, and whether they are thinking of bringing Android apps to Windows Phone or not!
    MSFTisMIA and kmji1957 like this.
    07-14-2014 09:48 AM
    Or maybe they leave us in the dark they same way they have been doing currently...

Chregu and N_LaRUE like this.
    07-14-2014 09:49 AM
    You should spy on them for us to find out if they build any new high-end Windows Phone devices, any higher-end Android devices, and whether they are thinking of bringing Android apps to Windows Phone or not!
    😁😁😁
    Chregu and hope4wp like this.
    07-14-2014 09:49 AM
    Also, I found the quality of Nokia phones were a lot better prior to WP8. I've been quite disappointed with the L920 and pretty much anything else that's come out except maybe the L925.

People go on about the Nokia phones I have to say they're nothing like they used to be.

As for who makes the phone I never had an issue with MS buying Nokia other than the fact that Nokia was a good company at one point that lost their way. Nokia phones are made in China not Finland anyway. the R&D was in Finland.
    The 1520 and the 1020 are not good quality? 😲 wow some stern critic you are 😊.... Well to each his own...I find the design of the 1520 to be more thin and appealing than the 925. Atleast better than the iPhone design...god that's been the same since 4 years(iPhone 4). And the iPhone is also made in China. Almost all the phones manufactured are mostly made and assembled in China due to the cheap labour costs.
    07-14-2014 10:09 AM
    I've driven by the the old HQ a few times in the past. They sold that one didn't they?
    kmji1957 likes this.
    07-14-2014 10:10 AM
    The 1520 and the 1020 are not good quality? wow some stern critic you are .... Well to each his own...I find the design of the 1520 to be more thin and appealing than the 925. Atleast better than the iPhone design...god that's been the same since 4 years(iPhone 4). And the iPhone is also made in China. Almost all the phones manufactured are mostly made and assembled in China due to the cheap labour costs.
    Hey, whatever makes you happy. I'm just telling you what I think.

What's so special about the Nokia design? It's a rectangle. Am I supposed to be impressed? They been using that for almost the same length of time as the iPhone. It's getting just a boring isn't it?

Yes I know most phones are made in China, for now.
    S Vaibhav, MSFTisMIA and kmji1957 like this.
    07-14-2014 10:25 AM
    Hey, whatever makes you happy. I'm just telling you what I think.

What's so special about the Nokia design? It's a rectangle. Am I supposed to be impressed? They been using that for almost the same length of time as the iPhone. It's getting just a boring isn't it?

Yes I know most phones are made in China, for now.
    I was just expressing my opinion too, no offense😊
    07-14-2014 10:27 AM
    Don't duel with N_LaRUE, he'll crush you with the weight of his knowledge!
    :p
    07-14-2014 10:31 AM
    Don't duel with N_LaRUE, he'll crush you with the weight of his knowledge!
    :p
    I duel with him all the time and make out just fine. Only those scared not to push the boundaries of their own understanding would heed the cautious nature of your words...

S Vaibhav, N_LaRUE and hope4wp like this.
    07-14-2014 10:32 AM
    I duel with him all the time and make out just fine. Only those scared not to push the boundaries of their own understanding would heed the cautious nature of your words...

No comments.
    07-14-2014 10:34 AM
143,631 ... 30103011301230133014 ...