In my drive way... Unless there is something I need to know about.
    I thought someone stole it from your avatar :P
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-30-2014 02:53 AM
    With a cool flip cover.
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww :P but at least it's a WP!!!
    07-30-2014 02:54 AM
    I did like the new Planet of the Apes, but for the story, not for the science. The apes were more interesting than the humans in the new movie.
    I was just slightly annoyed that they could come up with the idea that a 'cure' for Alzheimer's would make chimpanzees, which are 98% generically identical to humans smarter and have the adverse effect and create a virus that kills humans.

Zombie apocalypse movies actually make more sense, since the zombie pandemics are described as affecting only one species (humans) and affecting the majority of the population, other than a few immune individuals.
    It's more probable that some humans will be immune to a virus or disease (there's already HIV immunity showing in parts of Africa for example) than a parasite which could infect and controls dead humans, though zombie parasites already exist. Humans are a bit too complex to be controlled so easily.

Saying that however, apparently there's a parasite that exists on cats that somehow control humans to like cats more. No I'm not kidding. I'll have to search for that info for both those things I mentioned.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2014 02:54 AM
    Yesterday, coffee break. I was playing around with "Ok Google" (I don't have Google Now activated, I don't need this). Somebody of us mentioned Siri and I said something along the lines of: "You remember my phone before has a Microsoft OS? They are developing something like Siri, but much better!"

Her response: "There are people using this? I only used Siri once, when you and I were playing around with it."

I wonder, are there many people using Cortana on a daily basis productively?
    07-30-2014 02:57 AM
    I was just slightly annoyed that they could come up with the idea that a 'cure' for Alzheimer's would make chimpanzees, which are 98% generically identical to humans smarter and have the adverse effect and create a virus that kills humans.

It's more probable that some humans will be immune to a virus or disease (there's already HIV immunity showing in parts of Africa for example) than a parasite which could infect and controls dead humans, though zombie parasites already exist. Humans are a bit too complex to be controlled so easily.

Saying that however, apparently there's a parasite that exists on cats that somehow control humans to like cats more. No I'm not kidding. I'll have to search for that info for both those things I mentioned.
    The zombie apocalypse movies seem to imply the pathogens are viral, at least in 28 Days Later. World War Z does not mention if the pathogens are bacterial or viral, but they are not parasitic.

The "slow moving zombies" in many films exhibit behaviour similar to that of rabies victims, and rabies is a virus.
    07-30-2014 02:59 AM
    Yesterday, coffee break. I was playing around with "Ok Google" (I don't have Google Now activated, I don't need this). Somebody of us mentioned Siri and I said something along the lines of: "You remember my phone before has a Microsoft OS? They are developing something like Siri, but much better!"

Her response: "There are people using this? I only used Siri once, when you and I were playing around with it."

when I'm sad :P I ask her to sing.... lol if you count that as productive :P
    Chregu, N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-30-2014 03:01 AM

I use Cortana daily, but I don't talk to my phone. I use Cortana's interests mainly to keep track of my favourite sports teams scores.
    Chregu, N_LaRUE, MSFTisMIA and 1 others like this.
    07-30-2014 03:01 AM
    Was the virus killing humans thing already in the previous movie? I don't remember such a thing.

I did research on Alzheimer's disease during my master thesis, and there are approaches similar to how it's described in the movies. Of course, none of them have a big effect and research much more focuses on stopping the disease than on reverting it. It's also highly unlikely that an additional protein expressed in apes would make them much more intelligent.

Also, I don't think that a retroviral therapy works like shown in the movie. It's however clear that such treatments can go terribly wrong, research on this was halted for years because a trial lead to cancer much worse than the disease it should have treated.

Still, it didn't bother me much when watching the movie. At least it was somehow connected to science. Usually you just get a pile of made up crap.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-30-2014 03:02 AM
    I use Cortana daily, but I don't talk to my phone. I use Cortana's interests mainly to keep track of my favourite sports teams scores.
    Does it offer much more than the Bing sports app for example?

It's really a shame I could never test Cortana because of my 8X's limitations.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:04 AM
    Just for fun ...
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20140730_0006.png  
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:05 AM
    Does it offer much more than the Bing sports app for example?

It's really a shame I could never test Cortana because of my 8X's limitations.
    It will show current scores when I tap on the tile (I have Cortana pinned to my start screen). I like that better than opening Bing sports or the ESPN app.
    Chregu likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:15 AM
    So I won't be on official OS at all. Before I we get cyan MS will release GDR 2
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 Tapatalk
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:15 AM
    Was the virus killing humans thing already in the previous movie? I don't remember such a thing.
    At the end of Rise of the Planet of the Apes the cure that made the apes smart created a virus that killed people. Not the first one they created, which seemed to cure the guy's dad but the second one. The one lab guy is found dead in his apartment and he sneezed on the other guy's (the one who raised Caesar) neighbor who was a pilot which is how it spreads, which they show with the map at the end of the movie. Which is why it's easier for the Apes to take control as the human population starts to decline.
    Laura Knotek and Chregu like this.
    07-30-2014 03:16 AM
    No, and the current movie calls the virus something very similar to SIV, which I think is dumb, since SIV/HIV are completely different.

I did research on Alzheimer's disease during my master thesis, and there are approaches similar to how it's described in the movies. Of course, none of them have a big effect and research much more focuses on stopping the disease than on reverting it. It's also highly unlikely that an additional protein expressed in apes would make them much more intelligent.

Also, I don't think that a retroviral therapy works like shown in the movie. It's however clear that such treatments can go terribly wrong, research on this was halted for years because a trial lead to cancer much worse than the disease it should have treated.

Still, it didn't bother me much when watching the movie. At least it was somehow connected to science. Usually you just get a pile of made up crap.
    I agree.

I still think the zombie apocalypse movies seem more realistic in terms of the science.
    Chregu likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:18 AM
    So I won't be on official OS at all. Before I we get cyan MS will release GDR 2
    I'm probably in the same position. I have no idea when I'll get Cyan. Christmas? :P
    Chregu likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:19 AM
    At the end of Rise of the Planet of the Apes the cure that made the apes smart created a virus that killed people. Not the first one they created, which seemed to cure the guy's dad but the second one. The one lab guy is found dead in his apartment and he sneezed on the other guy's (the one who raised Caesar) neighbor who was a pilot which is how it spreads, which they show with the map at the end of the movie. Which is why it's easier for the Apes to take control as the human population starts to decline.
    Oh yeah, the neighbour who is a pilot gets a nosebleed near the end. He is "patient zero", since he spreads it to the people on the plane (and overseas).
    N_LaRUE and Chregu like this.
    07-30-2014 03:20 AM
    Oh yeah, the neighbour who is a pilot gets a nosebleed near the end. He is "patient zero", since he spreads it to the people on the plane (and overseas).
    Wouldn't patient zero be the lab guy who got it first and gave it to the pilot?
    Chregu likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:23 AM
    Weeee!

Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:27 AM
    Wouldn't patient zero be the lab guy who got it first and gave it to the pilot?
    Probably. I'm using the terminology originally used with HIV. The Canadian flight attendant was called "patient zero" in the spread of HIV.

However, that turned out to be false. The first case of HIV in the US was in a teenager from St Louis, Missouri, who never travelled outside of the US. He died in 1969.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 07-30-2014 at 03:46 AM.
    Chregu and MSFTisMIA like this.
    07-30-2014 03:30 AM
    I'm probably in the same position. I have no idea when I'll get Cyan. Christmas? :P

Don't be so optimistic, I was thinking more like Easter 2015 :D.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:34 AM
    Don't be so optimistic, I was thinking more like Easter 2015 :D.
    07-30-2014 03:35 AM
    That was weird. I got kicked off that forum. :P I didn't exist for a few minutes there. :P
    Laura Knotek and Chregu like this.
    07-30-2014 03:40 AM
    That was weird. I got kicked off that forum. :P I didn't exist for a few minutes there. :P
    Don't feel bad. So did I (while trying to clean spam). I couldn't get on Android Central, iMore, CrackBerry, Connectedly or Mobile Nations either.

They must have rebooted a server.
    Chregu and Himanshu Chowdhary like this.
    07-30-2014 03:41 AM
    Don't feel bad. So did I (while trying to clean spam). I couldn't get on Android Central, iMore, CrackBerry, Connectedly or Mobile Nations either.

They must have rebooted a server.
    You would know more than I. I'm guessing it was the accounts server as the rest of the forum seemed to be working.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-30-2014 03:44 AM
    I found the zombie thing I was talking about. It was fungus but I do believe there's a parasite as well.

Undead-End: Fungus That Controls Zombie-Ants Has Own Fungal Stalker - Scientific American
    07-30-2014 03:44 AM
144,474 ... 31373138313931403141 ...