What helped me get around windows 8 non touch is the Windows key shortcuts. For the first week of using it I had them pasted into one note and snapped to a third. You don't need them all obviously but it saves a lot of time if you learn the most important ones.
    For me I created a one-button shortcut to turn my computer off, so I never have to touch any Metro related stuff. As I don't see any sense in Metro apps with hilariously huge buttons and incredible little information on a 24 inch screen, I started to use Windows 8 like Windows 7.
    09-18-2013 07:17 AM
    For me I created a one-button shortcut to turn my computer off, so I never have to touch any Metro related stuff. As I don't see any sense in Metro apps with hilariously huge buttons and incredible little information on a 24 inch screen, I started to use Windows 8 like Windows 7.
    Hmm I really don't get peoples issues with the Metro UI - I have all my work software that runs in desktop mode pinned along with all my other desktop apps in one group. I like the fact that everything is there right in front of me and I also have a 24 inch screen. I find it really quite disappointing after using windows 8 for a while to come into work every day and use windows 7. I have actually got rainmaker installed on my desktop to at least make it look like windows 8.
    09-18-2013 07:32 AM
    Hmm I really don't get peoples issues with the Metro UI - I have all my work software that runs in desktop mode pinned along with all my other desktop apps in one group. I like the fact that everything is there right in front of me and I also have a 24 inch screen. I find it really quite disappointing after using windows 8 for a while to come into work every day and use windows 7. I have actually got rainmaker installed on my desktop to at least make it look like windows 8.
    There is just nothing I need on the Metro surface. For example, the MSN weather data is a joke for Switzerland, the News are never from the sources I trust, most of the other Metro apps are really dumbed down and I prefer to look things up in the browser. It's much faster and I get really the information I want. Metro is just a waste of space in my eyes. I come into work everyday using Windows 7 and I think it's so much more comfortable to use.

But luckily, different people have different tastes, and maybe I get to like Windows 8 more with 8.1. Useful weather data on this new big tile, I'd probably like that.
    09-18-2013 07:40 AM
    There is just nothing I need on the Metro surface. For example, the MSN weather data is a joke for Switzerland, the News are never from the sources I trust, most of the other Metro apps are really dumbed down and I prefer to look things up in the browser. It's much faster and I get really the information I want. Metro is just a waste of space in my eyes. I come into work everyday using Windows 7 and I think it's so much more comfortable to use.

But luckily, different people have different tastes, and maybe I get to like Windows 8 more with 8.1. Useful weather data on this new big tile, I'd probably like that.
    Fair points and yes its a case of different strokes for different folks.

Ahh weather apps - you want to know what I use?

My eyes and my body. Look or step outside and I can probably tell pretty quickly what its going to be like the rest of the day. Weathermen cant predict the weather with any more certainty or better than that themselves so why bother with them
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    09-18-2013 07:46 AM
    My eyes and my body. Look or step outside and I can probably tell pretty quickly what its going to be like the rest of the day. Weathermen cant predict the weather with any more certainty or better than that themselves so why bother with them
    Doesn't really help when planning ahead though ;-)
    snowmutt and MSFTisMIA like this.
    09-18-2013 08:09 AM
    Doesn't really help when planning ahead though ;-)
    Boy Scout motto - Always be prepared.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    09-18-2013 08:11 AM
    LOL! Never was a boy Scout. I think the truth of the matter is, in most 'normal' countries it isn't too difficult to get the weather right, however here in the UK, well, just take an umbrella, jacket and wear a short sleeve shirt and all is well. :P
    09-18-2013 08:50 AM
    I promise to do my best to do my duty, to help other people at all times, to obey the Scout law, to keep myself physical strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

The Boy Scout Promise.

Cannot believe that is waisting space in my memory after all these years.....
    09-18-2013 09:05 AM
    Ready to fake my way through another day at work.... MFSTisMIA, that means you are about ready to get off work. Glad to be here for you.
    sinime and MSFTisMIA like this.
    09-18-2013 09:06 AM
    I promise to do my best to do my duty, to god and to the queen, to help other people at all times, to obey the Scout law, to keep myself physical strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

The Boy Scout Promise.

Cannot believe that is waisting space in my memory after all these years.....
    You missed a bit.
    N_LaRUE and snowmutt like this.
    09-18-2013 09:08 AM
    Didn't they drop the 'god' bit here? I think it's still in the US. As for the queen...
    09-18-2013 09:14 AM
    I'm not going to read all the post from this morning to now
    09-18-2013 09:15 AM
    I'm not going to read all the post from this morning to now
    Lazy :P
    09-18-2013 09:17 AM
    Lazy :P
    Yep :P
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-18-2013 09:19 AM
    Didn't they drop the 'god' bit here? I think it's still in the US. As for the queen...
    Don't know I was about 14 the last time I said it. And yeah I was being a bit British about it with the queen in there.
    N_LaRUE and snowmutt like this.
    09-18-2013 09:29 AM
    Don't know I was about 14 the last time I said it. And yeah I was being a bit British about it with the queen in there.
    I wish I could remember 14... well sort of... I think at the time I was skinny, tallish and not used to it. :P

Very British with the queen. There will soonish be a king... that will be odd.
    09-18-2013 09:32 AM
    09-18-2013 09:55 AM
    They are some stunning pictures - My 1020 is delivered Friday. Am really going to push O2 to let me keep it in exchange for my now faulty 8x.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-18-2013 10:32 AM
    They are some stunning pictures - My 1020 is delivered Friday. Am really going to push O2 to let me keep it in exchange for my now faulty 8x.
    I thought you weren't getting it anymore??? Was there a change or did you find out about the charge afterwards?
    09-18-2013 10:38 AM
    I'll wait patiently for the price to drop prior to getting one, if I get one.
    09-18-2013 10:39 AM
    I thought you weren't getting it anymore??? Was there a change or did you find out about the charge afterwards?
    Well it went like this - Error on O2 website basically gave me two accounts. I realised what had happened and cancelled the order over the phone on Friday.

On Monday I received a message from O2 saying my phone had been dispatched and could I please pick a delivery date between Wednesday and Friday. I then phoned O2 again to ask what was going on and as far as they were concerned the order was cancelled

Yesterday I get an email from O2 telling me my first bill was ready and detailing the charges for my new phone.

Once its delivered Friday im going to head to my local O2 store and complain in person and try and keep the 1020 as they have continually made mistakes with their website and phone communications. From an O2 standpoint I will have 2 phones with identical phone numbers and contracts and be paying the same for both which just isn't possible. Im going to lay it on thick about the 8x not working properly since GDR2 as well.

Hopefully I can embarrass the store manager enough to just let me keep the 1020 and cancel the 8x contract - they aren't losing anything at the end of the day. Should work out in my favour. If you think my sarcasm cuts deep on here imagine what I'm like in person when I'm not happy
    N_LaRUE, MSFTisMIA and snowmutt like this.
    09-18-2013 10:47 AM
    Well it went like this - Error on O2 website basically gave me two accounts. I realised what had happened and cancelled the order over the phone on Friday.

On Monday I received a message from O2 saying my phone had been dispatched and could I please pick a delivery date between Wednesday and Friday. I then phoned O2 again to ask what was going on and as far as they were concerned the order was cancelled

Yesterday I get an email from O2 telling me my first bill was ready and detailing the charges for my new phone.

Once its delivered Friday im going to head to my local O2 store and complain in person and try and keep the 1020 as they have continually made mistakes with their website and phone communications. From an O2 standpoint I will have 2 phones with identical phone numbers and contracts and be paying the same for both which just isn't possible. Im going to lay it on thick about the 8x not working properly since GDR2 as well.

Hopefully I can embarrass the store manager enough to just let me keep the 1020 and cancel the 8x contract - they aren't losing anything at the end of the day. Should work out in my favour. If you think my sarcasm cuts deep on here imagine what I'm like in person when I'm not happy
    Sounds like a plan! Good luck with that and I hope you get the 1020 in the end. I was just reading a review of the phone on 'Trusted Reviews'. They only gave it a 7/10 and had some minor complaints about some aspects of the photos. There are some things I don't fully understand with Nokia. It's a flagship phone but they still cut the price in some areas that don't make some sense to me. That review states where the issues are in their eyes. I think they did go a bit overboard and do have some bias, as is the usual case. You can tell just by how they wrote it.
    09-18-2013 10:53 AM
    There was an apero on the floor, so ate for the last two hours instead of finishing my stuff. I think I should get to it now...
    09-18-2013 10:53 AM
    Sounds like a plan! Good luck with that and I hope you get the 1020 in the end. I was just reading a review of the phone on 'Trusted Reviews'. They only gave it a 7/10 and had some minor complaints about some aspects of the photos. There are some things I don't fully understand with Nokia. It's a flagship phone but they still cut the price in some areas that don't make some sense to me. That review states where the issues are in their eyes. I think they did go a bit overboard and do have some bias, as is the usual case. You can tell just by how they wrote it.
    Just read through that review on trusted reviews. Its not too bad as it stands - they do make some valid points. But I would like to start seeing reviews that mention apps start going on more about the third party social app efforts that give you all that you need. Bring up the exclusives that we do have compared to what we are missing.
    09-18-2013 11:24 AM
    Just read through that review on trusted reviews. Its not too bad as it stands - they do make some valid points. But I would like to start seeing reviews that mention apps start going on more about the third party social app efforts that give you all that you need. Bring up the exclusives that we do have compared to what we are missing.
    I agreed with some of their points but like you I'm tired of the usual jibes about apps. They never seem to mention the positive differences cause they're so used to thinking in Android and iOs terms.
    09-18-2013 11:28 AM
144,765 ... 322323324325326 ...