You know, I had this weird feeling about visiting the Statue of Liberty and in particular Ellis Island's Immigration Museum. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a very good history lesson, especially since yesterday I really got a chance to see most of the Immigration museum. But as I walked through it all, the sense of "some of this stuff applies to me" wasn't as strong as "at least these folks who emigrated had it easier than the folks who looked like me".

Posted Approved by Nexus 5
    That's deep. Probably not something that many people think about either.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    08-18-2014 06:04 AM
    So where did you go wrong? I find on the internet and in life there are times when you just will never win or regardless of what you say it will always be wrong.
    You're looking for a situation that isn't lose-lose, and yet I lost?

Ah, who knows? I don't really think I understand myself, after all.
    08-18-2014 06:07 AM
    You're looking for a situation that isn't lose-lose, and yet I lost?

Ah, who knows? I don't really think I understand myself, after all.
    OK where did you post to find yourself in this situation?
    08-18-2014 06:09 AM
    I just didn't follow the same fashion as the locals. :P I don't dress suburban. :P

The place where my family currently lives is what's known as a satellite city to Toronto. It's fairly large but a bit more laid back when it comes to fashion. :P I never seen so many people wearing sweat/track/jogging pants. o.O

Track pants? You sure you weren't here? :D Track pants here are generally the symbol of people who emigrated here from Bosnia, Serbia, Albania,...
    But generally I'm not really into fashion either. I mostly wear jeans and t-shirt or polo shirt.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    08-18-2014 06:11 AM
    OK where did you post to find yourself in this situation?
    What do you mean by, "Where did you post?"

I'm really tempted to say 4chan or Tumblr, but I digress. I normally get a bit depressed after a long-ish day, that I spend largely isolated from living, breathing orifices.
    08-18-2014 06:15 AM
    Don't worry, I'll probably get over this is an hour or so.
    08-18-2014 06:15 AM
    You know, I had this weird feeling about visiting the Statue of Liberty and in particular Ellis Island's Immigration Museum. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a very good history lesson, especially since yesterday I really got a chance to see most of the Immigration museum. But as I walked through it all, the sense of "some of this stuff applies to me" wasn't as strong as "at least these folks who emigrated had it easier than the folks who looked like me".

This may offend you, but what do you look like? You obviously don't look like two relatively abstract beings in agreement with each other.
    08-18-2014 06:16 AM
    This may offend you, but what do you look like? You obviously don't look like two relatively abstract beings in agreement with each other.
    He's referring to his skin colour and the fact that most who went to the US with his skin colour didn't immigrate to it.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    08-18-2014 06:20 AM
    What do you mean by, "Where did you post?"

I'm really tempted to say 4chan or Tumblr, but I digress. I normally get a bit depressed after a long-ish day, that I spend largely isolated from living, breathing orifices.
    OK I'm confused. I got the feeling you were posting somewhere. o.O
    08-18-2014 06:21 AM
    Track pants? You sure you weren't here? :D Track pants here are generally the symbol of people who emigrated here from Bosnia, Serbia, Albania,...
    But generally I'm not really into fashion either. I mostly wear jeans and t-shirt or polo shirt.
    LOL! Those who wear track pants over here are considered shady characters looking for trouble. Usually younger males fitting a certain description.
    08-18-2014 06:25 AM
    OK I'm confused. I got the feeling you were posting somewhere. o.O
    Well, I honestly don't know how that came to happen. What made you think that?
    08-18-2014 06:26 AM
    LOL! Those who wear track pants over here are considered shady characters looking for trouble. Usually younger males fitting a certain description.
    Perceptions differ a lot, then. Here in the Philippines, it means that you're either trying to be fit, or trying to look like you're trying to be fit.
    08-18-2014 06:28 AM
    Perceptions differ a lot, then. Here in the Philippines, it means that you're either trying to be fit, or trying to look like you're trying to be fit.
    Doesn't matter.
    08-18-2014 06:30 AM

Do they wear a white sport shoes and have white faked Lacoste male bag too ? :P :D
    08-18-2014 06:31 AM
    Do they wear a white sport shoes and have white faked Lacoste male bag too ? :P :D
    I'm curious as to why people wear white sports shoes.
    08-18-2014 06:34 AM
    Quite possibly the same. :P Usually very short hair?
    08-18-2014 06:47 AM
    Quite possibly the same. :P Usually very short hair?

Haha yes :D. And they usually drive old BMW, Audi or Mercedes :P
    08-18-2014 06:51 AM
    That's deep. Probably not something that many people think about either.
    The blessing and curse of America is that it is a land of immigrants. People choose to celebrate certain types of immigration over others, simply because of the ethnicity of the immigrants.

Here's a video worth watching. The words aren't so much as important as the symbolism in the video itself.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BGpzGu9Yp6Y

08-18-2014 06:54 AM
    I'm not offended by you asking. I posted my picture in the what do we look like thread if you want the visual.

I'm Jamaican, of Western African descent...my lineage is traced from the African side to one of those who endured the Middle Passage during the chattel slavery era. So I look black and am classified as black here in America. A lighter skinned black man, but in America, black is black is black.

That is why I view the Ellis Island Immigration museum within the following lens:

On the one hand, as a first generation immigrants, meaning I wasn't born here, I can recall vividly those feelings of uncertainty and all the other stuff as I emigrated right after college. It is a hell of a thing when you move someplace, knowing you're not returning to whence you came. So the emotions and cultural adjustment and motivation for moving I can relate to.

On the other hand, my collective ethnic experience from a historical perspective was even rockier than the most destitute white folk who emigrated...simply because they are white and if they could ride certain thins out, the promise of the middle class and the chance of building real wealth and upward social capital existed. The boats that some of those 3rd class citizens traveled in are laps of luxury compared to the rafts some Cubans and Haitians use today to try to get to american shores. An equally harrowing way is the overland route some Latinos are willing to risk coming up through Mexico and the deserts of the Southwest.

I give the Parks Department credit...they did their best to capture the struggle of all immigrants who passes through Ellis Island. For that alone it is worth seeing, as a starting point to understand America's immigrant history, but isn't the end point by a long shot.

Ain't no bed of roses in 'Murica. For most, it is more like wading through a thicket of wild bunches...some of us get roses, some of us get weeds, many of us get cuts, bruised and best the hell up and wonder why we torture ourselves like this - then looking back from whence we came, we see this is a more tolerable existence comparatively speaking.

08-18-2014 07:18 AM
    And I thought I was late this morning...NJ Transit is in full cluster**** mode to start the week.

08-18-2014 07:19 AM
    Sorry folks, today I'm in a very THAT kind of conscious mood. Back in the day, I wanted to be a historian. Archaeologist even. Then I grew up and decided I needed to channel my efforts elsewhere.

N_LaRUE likes this.
    08-18-2014 07:35 AM
    Sorry folks, today I'm in a very THAT kind of conscious mood. Back in the day, I wanted to be a historian. Archaeologist even. Then I grew up and decided I needed to channel my efforts elsewhere.

No worries. I was going to say something in regards to immigration, being a person who's immigrated three times now. But I know it's a bit different for me and my situation.
    08-18-2014 07:37 AM
    No worries. I was going to say something in regards to immigration, being a person who's immigrated three times now. But I know it's a bit different for me and my situation.
    It is still worth sharing. Don't be American and give into the temptation of pain comparison or devaluing one's experience in the face of another's differently and stark version of reality...

08-18-2014 07:43 AM
    It is still worth sharing. Don't be American and give into the temptation of pain comparison or devaluing one's experience in the face of another's differently and stark version of reality...

My comment was going to be about how we all immigrate for different reasons but for most it appears the idea of a 'better' life. Either for themselves or their children. When it comes to the US I often wondered about that, looking at it from a Canadian perspective. I often wondered what was so good about the US? Like now, I wonder why the large group of people in France ports are so desperate to get to the UK? Not being from that mindset I find it difficult to get my head around. I understand the wanting to leave from war and political unrest and all that. I can fully understand refugees and immigration of that nature.

Where I get lost is when people are so desperate about the 'gold' at the end of the rainbow mindset and will risk everything to get it, including their lives. Worse is that here in the UK a lot of times their lives are no better. Same goes for Australia but this information doesn't get out to those desperate people and that's where I get confused. Where's the short circuit happening?

As for my own experience, the closest I got to feeling like a 'real' immigrant was my time in Finland. Yes there were difficult times in Australia as well but Finland was something else. Being in a country where you don't know the language, don't know the culture, don't know the 'ways' things work, even though you have some help is a scary thing. Struggling to get by and wanting to work but not having any ability to. Doing some different things in hopes of getting work but nothing is really working. Getting so low on your income that you're happy just to find 2 euros in you pocket to get some food is welcoming. It's a stressful existence that I really don't want to repeat.
    MSFTisMIA and sahib lopez like this.
    08-18-2014 08:00 AM
    Oh well, I have to go now. G'night, y'all!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    08-18-2014 08:26 AM
143,556 ... 32593260326132623263 ...