We don't like being petted.
    Got any fish? Or a banana?
    I already told, I am veg, I don't have a fish, but have a banana. Sorry for that if you are not okay with it.

Btw how's the weather at Antarctica? Enjoying it? :P
    Last edited by psoham777; 10-05-2014 at 09:36 AM.
    10-05-2014 08:07 AM
    Well I'm slightly insulted. You need a very good imagination to do engineering drawings well. It may be technical but you need to be able to imagine how the drawing translates to the real world.

I know AutoCAD (over 15 years), MicroStation, PDS (3D) and SmartPlant 3D.

Most large projects are using 3D packages these days in the industrial sector. I can't comment about other sectors because I'm not in them.
    I agree, but only imagination, engineering drawing doesn't require much of intelligence/mugging up something. Don't feel insulted, even I like engineering drawing, its a good subject. & these softwares are for your vast imaginations
    10-05-2014 08:10 AM
    The lead time isn't as much as 3 years, it's on average 18 months. Some companies have lead times as short as 6 months.
    I don't think you fully understand what I'm saying. I don't know how else to explain it.
    10-05-2014 09:42 AM
    I agree, but only imagination, engineering drawing doesn't require much of intelligence/mugging up something. Don't feel insulted, even I like engineering drawing, its a good subject. & these softwares are for your vast imaginations
    Since you're a student I'll forgive your ignorance however you're talking to someone who's been doing this for over 20 years. I work on multimillion/multi-billion dollar projects.

Funny how you say I shouldn't be insulted but you went and insulted me even more. :P

It doesn't take much intelligence or skill to do technical drawings? On top of that not much imagination? Really? So if I showed you some of the drawings I deal with you should be able to:

1 - understand them
    2 - duplicate them
    3 - do it right
    4- ensure they work in real world situations

If you can't do any of these then you should stop acting like you know what you're talking about. Yes AutoCAD is a great tool but if a person is using it that doesn't know anything technical then it's just a drawing program. You might as well use paint or some other drawing program.
    10-05-2014 09:52 AM
    I already told, I am veg, I don't have a fish, but have a banana. Sorry for that if you are not okay with it.

Btw how's the weather at Antarctica? Enjoying it? :P
    Thanks for the banana :)
    Haven't a clue about Antarctica's weather, I'm sunbathing on a beach :p
    10-05-2014 09:54 AM
    I don't think you fully understand what I'm saying. I don't know how else to explain it.
    You mean there's tech in labs we don't know about?
    Being a penguin, I've little use for tech unless it helps me catch more fish :p
    10-05-2014 09:56 AM
    Since you're a student I'll forgive your ignorance however you're talking to someone who's been doing this for over 20 years. I work on multimillion/multi-billion dollar projects.

Funny how you say I shouldn't be insulted but you went and insulted me even more. :P

It doesn't take much intelligence or skill to do technical drawings? On top of that not much imagination? Really? So if I showed you some of the drawings I deal with you should be able to:

1 - understand them
    2 - duplicate them
    3 - do it right
    4- ensure they work in real world situations

If you can't do any of these then you should stop acting like you know what you're talking about. Yes AutoCAD is a great tool but if a person is using it that doesn't know anything technical then it's just a drawing program. You might as well use paint or some other drawing program.
    I agree, you are a lot more experienced. It takes skills for technical drawings, but just it was more simpler to me as you don't have to think much compared to other subjects which I study.

AutoCAD can never be compared with paint
    10-05-2014 10:54 AM
    You mean there's tech in labs we don't know about?
    Being a penguin, I've little use for tech unless it helps me catch more fish :p
    How does tech help you to catch a fish? :P
    10-05-2014 10:58 AM
    How does tech help you to catch a fish? :P
    Tech -> more advanced fishing gears -> more fish.

But how can a penguin use tech-advanced gears? :p
    10-05-2014 11:02 AM
    Tech -> more advanced fishing gears -> more fish.

But how can a penguin use tech-advanced gears? :p
    Yes, even I am confused about that, lets just say he's a smart penguin. Not only phones are getting smart, but penguins are getting smart too.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    10-05-2014 11:05 AM
    You don't need to be a good artist to learn engineering drawing, ever used AutoCAD?
    AutoCAD isn't that widely used anymore over here. File have switched over to Solidworks...
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-05-2014 11:11 AM
    i noticed that im close to 25k posts ! >:)
    Yeah equivalent to about a 100 cases of spam😁
    N_LaRUE, sahib lopez and MSFTisMIA like this.
    10-05-2014 11:12 AM
    Nope, penguin ;)
    They don't live in Derbyshire☺ South Africa, Chile, New Zealand and of course Antarctica....
    10-05-2014 11:14 AM
    AutoCAD isn't that widely used anymore over here. File have switched over to Solidworks...
    I know about other softwares, but AutoCAD is used here in many colleges
    10-05-2014 11:15 AM
    Yeah equivalent to about a 100 cases of spam😁
    Just 100? 😜
    10-05-2014 11:17 AM
    And that is why engineers from India struggle a bit when they end up here and are looking for internships. I know because I hire them, every year.
    N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    10-05-2014 11:18 AM
    And that is why engineers from India struggle a bit when they end up here and are looking for internships. I know because I hire them, every year.
    Because they are Indians, struggle is the most important part of their life. As you hire Indians, I will be looking forward for a job outside India, I hope you'll hire me. 😜

Are you from an Indian origin? You know a lot about India
    10-05-2014 11:21 AM
    Because they are Indians, struggle is the most important part of their life. As you hire Indians, I will be looking forward for a job outside India, I hope you'll hire me. 😜

Are you from an Indian origin? You know a lot about India
    I don't just hire Indians, I hire the person most qualified to do the job.
    N_LaRUE, sahib lopez and MSFTisMIA like this.
    10-05-2014 11:24 AM
    Just 100? 😜
    Don't worry we'll compliment you as well when you reach that milestone☺
    10-05-2014 11:25 AM
    Depends on the industry. Most of mine has switched to SmartPlant. Otherwise it's PDMS. Solidworks isn't really used in my industry. 2D drawings are typically Microstation or AutoCAD though.
    10-05-2014 11:26 AM
    Depends on the industry. Most of mine has switched to SmartPlant. Otherwise it's PDMS. Solidworks isn't really used in my industry. 2D drawings are typically Microstation or AutoCAD though.
    We create everything in 3D in Solid works and then it has a feature that spits out 2D from the 3D model. Most manufacturing types now tend to use Solidworks.
    10-05-2014 11:28 AM
    AutoCAD is a good tool but it simply isn't being used much any more as companies switch to BIM software. Autodesk makes BIM software but they appear to be concentrating on architecture over anything else.
    10-05-2014 11:28 AM
    We create everything in 3D in Solid works and then it has a feature that spits out 2D from the 3D model. Most manufacturing types now tend to use Solidworks.
    Yep. SmartPlant does the same thing but most clients want Microstation or AutoCAD still. Luckily we can convert it.
    10-05-2014 11:30 AM
    Don't worry we'll compliment you as well when you reach that milestone☺
    I don't even have 10% of the posts he has. So no compliments for me, instead I should compliment you as you already have more than 6k posts.
    10-05-2014 11:36 AM
    So the convo is penguins and autocad ._. Yeah.....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    10-05-2014 11:36 AM
145,856 ... 34653466346734683469 ...