So everyday penguins are in the news
    10-07-2014 09:20 AM
    It's been one of those days where I just don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything...
    That was yesterday for me☺
    10-07-2014 09:21 AM
    That was yesterday for me☺
    Everything I've started today I've had to stop. It's been rather annoying.
    10-07-2014 09:25 AM
    I have to ask a question and maybe I've been missing something after being on WP for almost two years. What's so great about live tiles? Every new person and basically any fanatical WP person goes on about them. I don't quite get the fascination... What am I missing?
    10-07-2014 09:50 AM
    It's been too much penguin talk around here lately.
    10-07-2014 09:51 AM
    It's been too much penguin talk around here lately.
    Even I can't figure out why?
    10-07-2014 09:54 AM
    Even I can't figure out why?
    Maybe because of the person pretending to be a penguin has something do with it?
    10-07-2014 09:59 AM
    O.o wow that's rough . Heck I'm tired by Thursday afternoon but I can't imagine how tiring it is

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the real world, where people sacrifice a lot more to get things done...

Posted via Princely Purple Z Ultra
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-07-2014 10:23 AM
    It's been one of those days where I just don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything...
    I feel like that sometimes at work from patient to patient on some days...

10-07-2014 10:24 AM
    I have to ask a question and maybe I've been missing something after being on WP for almost two years. What's so great about live tiles? Every new person and basically any fanatical WP person goes on about them. I don't quite get the fascination... What am I missing?
    (Reaches into the closet for some sheep shears and Windex). It is aesthetically a nice look on a UI. I personally like it as I'm not drowning in icons. However this is the look I use on my Z Ultra. For my Android devices I do one home screen only to decrease clutter. Still not as visually appealing as WP though.

Functionality wise, that's a different story...

Attached Thumbnails 75927.jpg  
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-07-2014 10:28 AM
    I'll always believe that MSFT was on the right track with how the original mantra of WP was to get off your phone and get on with life. Pity they bowed into pressure and went with a more Android style look.

Note to self...if you have a good vision, you'd better lay the groundwork well to keep people hooked and then build on your start aggressively to keep people hooked. MSFT was, and still is too siloed to do either of those things.

N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-07-2014 10:32 AM
    (Reaches into the closet for some sheep shears and Windex). It is aesthetically a nice look on a UI. I personally like it as I'm not drowning in icons. However this is the look I use on my Z Ultra. For my Android devices I do one home screen only to decrease clutter. Still not as visually appealing as WP though.

Functionality wise, that's a different story...

From aesthetics maybe but the point behind them still eludes me. For example, the flipping on my weather app takes way too long. Other tiles either have nothing or the information is repetitive.

Keep in mind I live a fairly uncluttered life. I work and go home pretty much. I don't have 100s of people texting and emailing me daily. I also don't hold long conversations on text, whatsapp or Skype daily, only once in a while but then I still don't need live tiles to do that.

That's where it sort of loses me. I see my phone as functional more than anything else. It's partially why I can care less about customization. I just want a device that works. I do what I need and that's all that matters. Which is what I thought WP was for. I'm not going to sit and stare at my background image, my lock image or watch the tiles flip. I've got a life. To some, those things are very important to them, to me whatever.

That's why I never got the live tile thing. It just seemed like something to have. A gimmick.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    10-07-2014 10:44 AM
    Maybe because of the person pretending to be a penguin has something do with it?
    I don't know
    10-07-2014 11:03 AM
    From aesthetics maybe but the point behind them still eludes me. For example, the flipping on my weather app takes way too long. Other tiles either have nothing or the information is repetitive.

Keep in mind I live a fairly uncluttered life. I work and go home pretty much. I don't have 100s of people texting and emailing me daily. I also don't hold long conversations on text, whatsapp or Skype daily, only once in a while but then I still don't need live tiles to do that.

That's where it sort of loses me. I see my phone as functional more than anything else. It's partially why I can care less about customization. I just want a device that works. I do what I need and that's all that matters. Which is what I thought WP was for. I'm not going to sit and stare at my background image, my lock image or watch the tiles flip. I've got a life. To some, those things are very important to them, to me whatever.

That's why I never got the live tile thing. It just seemed like something to have. A gimmick.
    So do I. I like the simple things and don't need a bunch of crap, personally. I did t need to be inundated with apps so I don't use iOS. I don't feel like I have to root my device to get it how I want it to work, so I've settled on Sony UI. Any bloat I dont need I just don't use it. I would have wanted more base functionality in the OS for WP though. Bake in some of the simpler more common features in some apps into the OS itself. That what where they started off with the hubs and may have wanted to go and people bellyached and we have this Android ish type look.

A real pity indeed.

10-07-2014 11:11 AM
    So do I. I like the simple things and don't need a bunch of crap, personally. I did t need to be inundated with apps so I don't use iOS. I don't feel like I have to root my device to get it how I want it to work, so I've settled on Sony UI. Any bloat I dont need I just don't use it. I would have wanted more base functionality in the OS for WP though. Bake in some of the simpler more common features in some apps into the OS itself. That what where they started off with the hubs and may have wanted to go and people bellyached and we have this Android ish type look.

A real pity indeed.

I think the hub idea was good but doomed to failure as social networks constantly change their APIs. MS would need absolute control of updates to really make it useful. It became obvious that wasn't going to happen. So we have change. As for the rest of the Android like things that have come, meh.
    10-07-2014 11:21 AM
    And because a couple of other folks on this thread have been throwing him too much "fish"?!
    N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    10-07-2014 11:22 AM
    And because a couple of other folks on this thread have been throwing him too much "fish"?!
    Correct
    10-07-2014 11:36 AM
    I think the hub idea was good but doomed to failure as social networks constantly change their APIs. MS would need absolute control of updates to really make it useful. It became obvious that wasn't going to happen. So we have change. As for the rest of the Android like things that have come, meh.
    It was a good idea. I think that they really could have catered it better though and it boiled down to the relationships they had with the social networks. MSFT could have thrown money at them to at lest keep the API access, even if they took forever to build a native app. The office hub should have been much better than it is, and given API access to Dropbox, etc. One Note should have been much stronger too. The picture Hub could have been better too, giving up some API access to devs working on Proshot, etc. I like the decoupling of the calendar and Xbox Music.

It was too many moving parts that could have been better tweaked that ended up in the trash. Sad, really.

N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-07-2014 11:52 AM
    You two should work at msft😃
    sent from my rare linux distro 830
    10-07-2014 01:03 PM
    Question ... Would it be a good idea to lower the, drinking age to 18 like they have it in Europe ?
    The reason why I ask is because today in class the topic of lecture was addiction. The main argument was if you let kids drink at an earlier age they won't be prone to abuse it when they get older
    10-07-2014 01:08 PM
    Assuming you are speaking in the US, yes, they should lower the drinking age to 18.... If your old enough to die for your country, you should be able to drink a beer.
    sahib lopez and N_LaRUE like this.
    10-07-2014 01:12 PM
    Assuming you are speaking in the US, yes, they should lower the drinking age to 18.... If your old enough to die for your country, you should be able to drink a beer.
    :P yes us since i live in the us
    10-07-2014 01:22 PM
    Question ... Would it be a good idea to lower the, drinking age to 18 like they have it in Europe ?
    The reason why I ask is because today in class the topic of lecture was addiction. The main argument was if you let kids drink at an earlier age they won't be prone to abuse it when they get older
    In the US? Honestly you're not a full adult here until you're 25 anyways...so the drinking age kinda doesn't matter...

N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-07-2014 01:25 PM
    In the US? Honestly you're not a full adult here until you're 25 anyways...so the drinking age kinda doesn't matter...

i remember that in my 11th grade English class i had a debate and i was against lowering the drinking age. to me i dont really care about it. though after class i started to wonder " well if Europe has it to that age what reason can the us have to not have it at that age besides saying they are too young"
    10-07-2014 01:32 PM
    Welcome to the real world, where people sacrifice a lot more to get things done...

lets see if i end up sacrificing sleep later on :P
    10-07-2014 01:33 PM
144,474 ... 34763477347834793480 ...