Yes, two different methods, no effect :(

I also set this new registry entry that should prevent Windows from saving data.
    Hmm interesting. What laptop did you buy again?
    09-25-2013 04:07 AM
    Hmm interesting. What laptop did you buy again?
    It's not a laptop, it's a desktop. It has a Raillink WiFi PCI card. First I installed the newest driver from the Asus homepage, then I tried out the most current from the Raillink homepage (which was actually a version newer), both didn't have the desired effect.
    09-25-2013 04:16 AM
    It's not a laptop, it's a desktop. It has a Raillink WiFi PCI card. First I installed the newest driver from the Asus homepage, then I tried out the most current from the Raillink homepage (which was actually a version newer), both didn't have the desired effect.
    OK dumb question, is the computer on the desk and is it in the same room as the wifi router?
    09-25-2013 04:18 AM
    OK dumb question, is the computer on the desk and is it in the same room as the wifi router?
    Signal strength is usually 4 or 5 of 5 bars. It's on the ground, the router in the hallway just outside. I don't have connection issues with my laptop or phone when I'm sitting at the same place.
    09-25-2013 04:37 AM
    Put an ethernet cable to see if it the hub or not.
    09-25-2013 04:57 AM
    Signal strength is usually 4 or 5 of 5 bars. It's on the ground, the router in the hallway just outside. I don't have connection issues with my laptop or phone when I'm sitting at the same place.
    I've ran into issues with PCI WiFi in the past. Never worked well. I did have interference though I never quite worked out what it was. I ended up getting larger antennas. I did a quick search on your card. It would appear they're not the best things going when it comes to WiFi connectivity. Not sure if you have a friend with a PCI WiFi card just to see if it may be defective. Or possibly a WiFi USB dongle. That way you have something to go back to Asus with and say it's f*cked.
    09-25-2013 04:59 AM
    Put an ethernet cable to see if it the hub or not.
    Why would it be the hub if all the other wireless devices work well?
    09-25-2013 05:00 AM
    I have bought a cable now. Not nice but resilient I hope.
    09-25-2013 05:21 AM
    I have bought a cable now. Not nice but resilient I hope.
    Well cables are always better than WiFi. I would still check with a different WiFi card/dongle to see if it is the card you have or just the signal.
    09-25-2013 05:29 AM
    Well cables are always better than WiFi. I would still check with a different WiFi card/dongle to see if it is the card you have or just the signal.
    What is the difference between a cable, a cord and a wire? In German it is all the same.
    09-25-2013 05:56 AM
    What is the difference between a cable, a cord and a wire? In German it is all the same.
    Well being someone from the electrical field I can tell you that it's not straight forward. Usually the terminology is mangled outside the industry.

We typically don't use 'cord' in the industry, that's typically a household term. So you have an appliance cord. Cable/cord are basically the same.

A cable is typically something that either has a single wire (core) or multiple wires (cores). The proper terminology for this is single core cable and multicore cable. In everyday speech the cable usually represents multicore cable. So an Ethernet cable, a power cable for laptops or computers.

When you say 'wire' your typically talking about a single core, usually a small core, like from an Ethernet cable, you have a single core or individual wire. If you have a group of cores you can say wires. We don't use the term wire in the industry as it can be confusing.

Not sure that helped but that's the basics.
    Chregu and Muessig like this.
    09-25-2013 06:16 AM
    Not sure that helped but that's the basics.
    Well...

I have to read over it a few times again I guess :)
    09-25-2013 06:18 AM
    Well...

I have to read over it a few times again I guess :)
    I'll simplfy.

Cord - used in hosehold terminology, means cable. Usually refers to power.

Cable - generic term. In household terminolgoy usually refers to multicore cable.

Wire - usually refers to the individual cores in a multicore cable. In North America you can buy a spool of wire, which is a single core cable typically used for doing low voltage work. The insulation rating is not very high.

In the industry we usually refer to core size, core quantity, cable current rating, cable insulating rating and cable type. We typically don't use the terms cord or wire.
    Muessig and Chregu like this.
    09-25-2013 06:35 AM
    Why would it be the hub if all the other wireless devices work well?
    The other devices work well?

It could be your anti-virus stopping the connection?
    09-25-2013 06:38 AM
    I will simplify further.

cord=cable=wire.

We aren't all electrical engineers.

And saying that your running 4core armoured would just confuse things further.

Although I have to admit I cant remember the last time I used the term cable, cord or wire - I tend to just ask for things by name now

RJ45 or Cat 5 - HDMI - DVI
    09-25-2013 06:42 AM
    We are not all engineers... I hope I've bought the right ethernet cable ;-)

What I remember: Crossed for PC to PC; not crossed for the rest. So I bought the second one.
    09-25-2013 06:47 AM
    I will simplify further.

cord=cable=wire.

We aren't all electrical engineers.

And saying that your running 4core armoured would just confuse things further.

Although I have to admit I cant remember the last time I used the term cable, cord or wire - I tend to just ask for things by name now

Using specifics is good if you know them. :)

However I would never use wire for cord.

If I wanted to confuse people I would just type 25mm2 SWA XLPE PVC 600/1000V.
    09-25-2013 06:47 AM
    I'll simplfy.

Cord - used in hosehold terminology, means cable. Usually refers to power.

Cable - generic term. In household terminolgoy usually refers to multicore cable.

Wire - usually refers to the individual cores in a multicore cable. In North America you can buy a spool of wire, which is a single core cable typically used for doing low voltage work. The insulation rating is not very high.

In the industry we usually refer to core size, core quantity, cable current rating, cable insulating rating and cable type. We typically don't use the terms cord or wire.
    That's great. In this case I'll reverse the term "wire" for the TV show, and call everything cable now. Somehow I thought the word cable has some special meaning in English, but maybe my brain confused something during the years I was thought English at school.
    09-25-2013 06:48 AM
    At Microsoft Partner Network event

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    09-25-2013 06:54 AM
    That's great. In this case I'll reverse the term "wire" for the TV show, and call everything cable now. Somehow I thought the word cable has some special meaning in English, but maybe my brain confused something during the years I was thought English at school.
    To confuse you more... the term Cable TV refers to how the signal is transmitted to TV. Your TV is attached to a cable that isn't attached directly to a signal antenna. It's still very common in North America.

Why would you reverse wire for TV show??? Or am I reading that wrong?

There's also a very old terminology of cable meaning a message from someone using a telegraph. But that's long gone out of use.

You can also use wiki - Cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though it's not perfect.
    09-25-2013 06:56 AM
    We are not all engineers... I hope I've bought the right ethernet cable ;-)

What I remember: Crossed for PC to PC; not crossed for the rest. So I bought the second one.
    Did you get a cat5e?

Or cat6 there more then that as well for different uses! :P
    09-25-2013 07:00 AM
    Craig Ferguson has thought me everything about the term Cable TV. "You guys are only here because you can't afford cable!" ;-)

I wanted to write reserve, not reverse. Oops. I was reffering to the TV show "The Wire". I know that a person with a microphone for example in investigations is wearing a wire.

I didn't know about the telegraph cable, interesting.
    09-25-2013 07:02 AM
    Microsoft presenter said Xbox 361 two times. My golly...

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
    09-25-2013 07:04 AM
    You can get a power over ethernet cable.
    09-25-2013 07:05 AM
    Microsoft presenter said Xbox 361 two times. My golly...

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
    They know the PS4 the only true console!!!
    09-25-2013 07:05 AM
143,645 ... 363364365366367 ...