WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

She was posting quite regularly in the last few days. Do you think she will leave again now until we reach almost 150 000?

No idea. Maybe she had a break in her college schedule? It was appearing quite grueling.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

No idea. Maybe she had a break in her college schedule? It was appearing quite grueling.

I still don't understand why people want to become doctors, except for prestige and god complexes...

I had to look up grueling ;-)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I still don't understand why people want to become doctors, except for prestige and god complexes...

I had to look up grueling ;-)

Well doctors do have their place in the grand scheme of things. Whether they deserve the high level of respect they get and the pay is a different matter.

Some people feel the same about scientist. But you probably knew that. :p

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Well doctors do have their place in the grand scheme of things. Whether they deserve the high level of respect they get and the pay is a different matter.

Of course we need them. I don't understand why somebody wants to become one. Payment is not that great, at least in Switzerland, you have to work shifts, you have a lot of pressure, too many patients, too little time, the next law suit is only a small mistake away, and then you still have to tell families that their beloved died.

Some people feel the same about scientist. But you probably knew that. :p

It pays very little, it's an unsafe position, you only get contracts for a short period of time and a career is limited to a very lucky and talented few. Yeah, I agree, that's the reason I don't want to stay in science ;-)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Of course we need them. I don't understand why somebody wants to become one. Payment is not that great, at least in Switzerland, you have to work shifts, you have a lot of pressure, too many patients, too little time, the next law suit is only a small mistake away, and then you still have to tell families that their beloved died.

It does take a certain type of person. The whole suing culture is another one of those problems but it's shows the issues within the field. Limiting doctor numbers in colleges/universities and making it an 'elite' subject is the issue.

As for some of the reasons you mentioned about becoming one, I can think of many more! I never wanted to become a doctor but there are many that do good work and would like to support them more. Then there are those who deserve our condemnation, Dr. Oz comes to mind.

It pays very little, it's an unsafe position, you only get contracts for a short period of time and a career is limited to a very lucky and talented few. Yeah, I agree, that's the reason I don't want to stay in science ;-)

What I meant, there are people who feel science encroaches on their 'god' and that they play 'god', especially biologists (you evil people you), as they find out more and more about the world. It wasn't to do with pay or anything like that. More of a social issue and mindset within society.

Science, to me, should have loads of money coming into it but unfortunately with our silly ideas of capitalism it remains an area that receives limited funds but has high expectations from populace.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

:D lol I so wanna reply to all that....but my eyes are killing me! I've holidays till the end of this month :) and I'm spending my time hacking games :D

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

It does take a certain type of person. The whole suing culture is another one of those problems but it's shows the issues within the field. Limiting doctor numbers in colleges/universities and making it an 'elite' subject is the issue.

As for some of the reasons you mentioned about becoming one, I can think of many more! I never wanted to become a doctor but there are many that do good work and would like to support them more. Then there are those who deserve our condemnation, Dr. Oz comes to mind.

I know quite a few nice medical doctors or medical students. They are very nice person but usually agree that it's a strange decision wanting to become one. ;-)

What I meant, there are people who feel science encroaches on their 'god' and that they play 'god', especially biologists (you evil people you), as they find out more and more about the world. It wasn't to do with pay or anything like that. More of a social issue and mindset within society.

Science, to me, should have loads of money coming into it but unfortunately with our silly ideas of capitalism it remains an area that receives limited funds but has high expectations from populace.

I have never encountered anybody criticizing science from this point of view. Usually the worst thing is them thinking it's an enormous waste of money ;-)

There's science I couldn't do though, working on apes is an example.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I know quite a few nice medical doctors or medical students. They are very nice person but usually agree that it's a strange decision wanting to become one. ;-)

Agree totally.

I have never encountered anybody criticizing science from this point of view. Usually the worst thing is them thinking it's an enormous waste of money ;-)

There's science I couldn't do though, working on apes is an example.

I will use a single word answer here and it shouldn't surprise you - America. (though there are some like this everywhere but the largest are there)

Yes, too many people think science is a waste of money because too many people have a very limited understand of how science works. I fully blame schooling for that. I also blame the media for making a mess of reporting on it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. Was looking to read what I missed, but decided not up to because I'm still sleepy.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

I've gotten fitter. When I started using this cycling device in the beginning, it should that I've burnt almost 500 calories. (Of course it's not accurate, but if you use it as a relative measure it's helpful.) Then over a pretty short period of time I made it to between 520 and 540. It stayed at this for a while and for the last two times I was at over 560. That's good I guess.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

so finally, we crossed the target.
i must say, it was a huge target. it took almost one year to complete.
:sweaty::sweaty::sweaty:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

so finally, we crossed the target.
i must say, it was a huge target. it took almost one year to complete.
:sweaty::sweaty::sweaty:

It wasn't always called the 75k Challenge. The name has changed a few times. Some were quicker than others.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers