WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

You know, I had this weird feeling about visiting the Statue of Liberty and in particular Ellis Island's Immigration Museum. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a very good history lesson, especially since yesterday I really got a chance to see most of the Immigration museum. But as I walked through it all, the sense of "some of this stuff applies to me" wasn't as strong as "at least these folks who emigrated had it easier than the folks who looked like me".

Posted Approved by Nexus 5

That's deep. Probably not something that many people think about either.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

So where did you go wrong? I find on the internet and in life there are times when you just will never win or regardless of what you say it will always be wrong.
You're looking for a situation that isn't lose-lose, and yet I lost?

Ah, who knows? I don't really think I understand myself, after all.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

I just didn't follow the same fashion as the locals. :p I don't dress suburban. :p

The place where my family currently lives is what's known as a satellite city to Toronto. It's fairly large but a bit more laid back when it comes to fashion. :p I never seen so many people wearing sweat/track/jogging pants. o_O

Track pants? You sure you weren't here? :D Track pants here are generally the symbol of people who emigrated here from Bosnia, Serbia, Albania,...
But generally I'm not really into fashion either. I mostly wear jeans and t-shirt or polo shirt.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

OK where did you post to find yourself in this situation?
What do you mean by, "Where did you post?"

I'm really tempted to say 4chan or Tumblr, but I digress. I normally get a bit depressed after a long-ish day, that I spend largely isolated from living, breathing orifices.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

You know, I had this weird feeling about visiting the Statue of Liberty and in particular Ellis Island's Immigration Museum. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a very good history lesson, especially since yesterday I really got a chance to see most of the Immigration museum. But as I walked through it all, the sense of "some of this stuff applies to me" wasn't as strong as "at least these folks who emigrated had it easier than the folks who looked like me".

This may offend you, but what do you look like? You obviously don't look like two relatively abstract beings in agreement with each other.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This may offend you, but what do you look like? You obviously don't look like two relatively abstract beings in agreement with each other.

He's referring to his skin colour and the fact that most who went to the US with his skin colour didn't immigrate to it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What do you mean by, "Where did you post?"

I'm really tempted to say 4chan or Tumblr, but I digress. I normally get a bit depressed after a long-ish day, that I spend largely isolated from living, breathing orifices.

OK I'm confused. I got the feeling you were posting somewhere. o_O

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Track pants? You sure you weren't here? :D Track pants here are generally the symbol of people who emigrated here from Bosnia, Serbia, Albania,...
But generally I'm not really into fashion either. I mostly wear jeans and t-shirt or polo shirt.

LOL! Those who wear track pants over here are considered shady characters looking for trouble. Usually younger males fitting a certain description.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
LOL! Those who wear track pants over here are considered shady characters looking for trouble. Usually younger males fitting a certain description.
Perceptions differ a lot, then. Here in the Philippines, it means that you're either trying to be fit, or trying to look like you're trying to be fit.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's deep. Probably not something that many people think about either.

The blessing and curse of America is that it is a land of immigrants. People choose to celebrate certain types of immigration over others, simply because of the ethnicity of the immigrants.

Here's a video worth watching. The words aren't so much as important as the symbolism in the video itself.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BGpzGu9Yp6Y

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm not offended by you asking. I posted my picture in the what do we look like thread if you want the visual.

I'm Jamaican, of Western African descent...my lineage is traced from the African side to one of those who endured the Middle Passage during the chattel slavery era. So I look black and am classified as black here in America. A lighter skinned black man, but in America, black is black is black.

That is why I view the Ellis Island Immigration museum within the following lens:

On the one hand, as a first generation immigrants, meaning I wasn't born here, I can recall vividly those feelings of uncertainty and all the other stuff as I emigrated right after college. It is a hell of a thing when you move someplace, knowing you're not returning to whence you came. So the emotions and cultural adjustment and motivation for moving I can relate to.

On the other hand, my collective ethnic experience from a historical perspective was even rockier than the most destitute white folk who emigrated...simply because they are white and if they could ride certain thins out, the promise of the middle class and the chance of building real wealth and upward social capital existed. The boats that some of those 3rd class citizens traveled in are laps of luxury compared to the rafts some Cubans and Haitians use today to try to get to american shores. An equally harrowing way is the overland route some Latinos are willing to risk coming up through Mexico and the deserts of the Southwest.

I give the Parks Department credit...they did their best to capture the struggle of all immigrants who passes through Ellis Island. For that alone it is worth seeing, as a starting point to understand America's immigrant history, but isn't the end point by a long shot.

Ain't no bed of roses in 'Murica. For most, it is more like wading through a thicket of wild bunches...some of us get roses, some of us get weeds, many of us get cuts, bruised and best the hell up and wonder why we torture ourselves like this - then looking back from whence we came, we see this is a more tolerable existence comparatively speaking.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

And I thought I was late this morning...NJ Transit is in full cluster**** mode to start the week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss