The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    We?
    Song lyrics. I'm off to work though, currently work for a film production company but training to teach English abroad.
    03-24-2015 05:49 AM
    Song lyrics. I'm off to work though, currently work for a film production company but training to teach English abroad.
    Where are you heading for the English teaching?

Are you teaching real English or that American stuff? :P

Then again if you ever been to the UK you'd realise that they don't speak English here either... :P
    03-24-2015 06:16 AM

Then again if you ever been to the UK you'd realise that they don't speak English here either... :P
    I live in England, but I am looking to teach in Japan.
    Fire 29 and MSFTisMIA like this.
    03-24-2015 07:18 AM
    Cool. I want to go to Japan one day.

I wasn't sure where you lived exactly. It's a bit of an on going joke with my wife (Australian) and I (Canadian) about how different the English here in the UK is. :P

I still think it's better than the US English but there's some aspects of it that are a bit funny. Aside from all the different regional accents.
    Fire 29 likes this.
    03-24-2015 07:22 AM
    Had to produce a quick birthday card for a member of staff today. It was so quick it looks horrible. Oh the travesty!
    N_LaRUE, Fire 29 and sahib lopez like this.
    03-24-2015 07:33 AM
    Had to produce a quick birthday card for a member of staff today. It was so quick it looks horrible. Oh the travesty!
    Bummer...
    03-24-2015 07:36 AM
    Might go for a walk at lunch today. Seems quite nice out. Bit cloudy but sunny!
    sahib lopez likes this.
    03-24-2015 07:37 AM
    It's still cold....
    03-24-2015 07:39 AM
    Never take selfies while standing at the edge of a cliff or river.
    Today at the news: 7 persons died while taking a group selfie when they were standing near the edge of a cliff. The ground must have gave way to their weight or something else happened. This happened in India.
    03-24-2015 08:26 AM

Go for it.
    03-24-2015 08:27 AM

Casual English is English too except when you use f words and the like.
    03-24-2015 08:29 AM

Going to Japan eh, take me with you.

I'm quite interested in Japanese culture. Even learning Japanese right now slowly but surely.
    03-24-2015 08:32 AM

Maybe he or she will see it as a good sign that it's handmade.
    03-24-2015 08:35 AM

Go for it!
    03-24-2015 08:36 AM
    Casual English is English too except when you use f words and the like.
    If you're referring to the difference between formal English and casual every day English, then yes, there is a difference however, the average person wouldn't know it.

What I was referring to is the difference in syntax, spelling and usage.
    Fire 29 likes this.
    03-24-2015 08:37 AM
    We should all get together and go!

Subarashi!

If Daniel is rich and very generous, that is.
    Septembersrain likes this.
    03-24-2015 09:10 AM
    Have a few friends who have done it. Pretty interesting experience. I wanted to, but life happened.

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    03-24-2015 09:13 AM
    I figured I'd share this with folks. It is one of the busiest subways stops in NYC in terms of volume of riders moved, and it is one of my transfer points to and from work. Please a note on the rough estimate of daily riders.

Sahib, I think we in NYC can fit your whole town in 1-2 subway cars...

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    Attached Thumbnails 40281.jpg  
    Fire 29 likes this.
    03-24-2015 09:18 AM
    (Dusts off soapbox before use)

So I'm transferring at the station at referred to in my last post from the E to the #6 and there is a massive pileup of commuters by the subway car entrance. I quickly see why - there was a heavy set homeless female sitting in one of the smaller two seaters with a very prominent body odor. So I stood across the aisle from her because my nose was partly stuffy and I work with homeless youth, some of whom have a similar odor level. It was just funny watching people's reactions when the smell hit them...here they are, clean and busy, rushing off to their day and to be bothered by this homeless person who is on the train in rush hour no less! Such an inconvenience!

The looks they gave her was tremendously...unnerving. I looked over at the woman and saw something else. I wondered what her story was. Does she speak another language? What are her possible medical and mental health conditions? Is there addiction, assault, abuse, sex work in her history? Where is her family? Was she merely trying to catch a nap because this was the first time in a few hours she could do so, knowing her body odor could leave her undisturbed by most for a few moments? Homeless folks have to have a skin as thick as the dirt from being unwashed sometimes when dealing with regular folks because they're in that least, lost and forgotten group in society.

Some are scammers, but have to scam to survive. Some are good people who burned too many bridges themselves to receive help. Others have had life torch bridges for them in the form of circumstances with regard to the questions I asked earlier. It just irks me when people look through them. I never liked this phrase being used as a reason by some groups to solicit money but it is the truth: "it could be you".

With employment and housing the top 2 issues for many folks here, you wonder how do people expect the homeless to get up off their feet and stay on it. The message is clear: "don't fall through the cracks, as there isn't much people can do to help you up".

That's not right. Resources should be allocated, but they are piled up in the hands of the uber wealthy.

That's not right.

Posted Approved by Nexus 7 (2013)
    Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 03-24-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    03-24-2015 09:45 AM
    (Dusts off soapbox before use)

So I'm transferring at the station at referred to in my last post from the E to the #6 and there is a massive pileup of commuters by the subway car entrance. I quickly see why - there was a heavy set homeless female sitting in one of the smaller two seaters with a very prominent body odor. So I stood across the aisle from her because my nose was partly stuffy and I work with homeless youth, some of whom have a similar odor level. It was just funny watching people's reactions when the smell hit them...here they are, clean and busy, rushing off to their day and to be bothered by this homeless person who is on the train in rush hour no less! Such an inconvenience!

The looks they gave her was tremendously...unnerving. I looked over at the woman and saw something else. I wondered what her story was. Does she speak another language? What are her possible medical and mental health conditions? Is there addiction, assault, abuse, sex work in her history? Where is her family? Was she merely trying to catch a nap because this was the first time in a few hours she could do so, knowing her body odor could leave her undisturbed by most for a few moments? Homeless folks have to have a skin as thick as the dirt from being unwashed sometimes when dealing with regular folks because they're in that least, lost and forgotten group in society.

Some are scammers, but have to scam to survive. Some are good people who burned too many bridges themselves to receive help. Others have had life torch bridges for them in the form of circumstances with regard to the questions I asked earlier. It just irks me when people look through them. I never liked this phrase being used as a reason by some groups to solicit money but it is the truth: "it could be you".

With employment and housing the top 2 issues for many folks here, you wonder how do people expect the homeless to get up off their feet and stay on it. The message is clear: "don't fall through the cracks, as there isn't much people can do to help you up".

That's not right. Resources should be allocated, but they are piled up in the hands of the uber wealthy.

That's not right.

Posted Approved by Nexus 7 (2013)
    That was a good dusting off. :)

Your last sentence is a clear indication of what is wrong with the world at the moment. Too many people using property as assets and the prices going up so only the 'wealthy' can own them. We have major issues here in the UK with this stuff. We have wealthy people from overseas buying large quantities of property, increase prices so no one else can afford property and causing unrealistic housing shortages. Same thing was happening in Australia as well and I'm sure happening elsewhere.

A note on the homeless here's a great quote from Bill Hicks:

"Anybody can be a bum; all it takes is the right girl, the right bar and the right friends, and you are well… your buddies will see you off. They'll christen your dumpster for you."

That's to go along with your statement of anyone can fall through the cracks.
    MSFTisMIA and Fire 29 like this.
    03-24-2015 10:55 AM
    That was a good dusting off. :)

Your last sentence is a clear indication of what is wrong with the world at the moment. Too many people using property as assets and the prices going up so only the 'wealthy' can own them. We have major issues here in the UK with this stuff. We have wealthy people from overseas buying large quantities of property, increase prices so no one else can afford property and causing unrealistic housing shortages. Same thing was happening in Australia as well and I'm sure happening elsewhere.

A note on the homeless here's a great quote from Bill Hicks:

"Anybody can be a bum; all it takes is the right girl, the right bar and the right friends, and you are well your buddies will see you off. They'll christen your dumpster for you."

That's to go along with your statement of anyone can fall through the cracks.
    There are 1826 people on the billionaires list.

Let the sentence sink in for a second. Bill Gates is still #1 and he is giving his away, but he falls in the 1% in that group looking to share the wealth. Steve Ballmer cut a check for $2Billion for a mid level NBA franchise in the LA Clippers last fall. Yes, he is keeping people employed and all that, but still. To be able to buy that like you walk into a store and buy an iPhone carrier free and not blink because your resources are so secure is mind bending.

Equally as mind bending is having homeless and underserved populations here in the strongest global economy. In the same country that had no paid federal maternity leave for women.

SMH.

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    N_LaRUE and Fire 29 like this.
    03-24-2015 11:25 AM
    Equally as mind bending is having homeless and underserved populations here in the strongest global economy. In the same country that had no paid federal maternity leave for women.
    One of the last two remaining countries if memory serves me correctly.
    03-24-2015 11:37 AM
    Let the sentence sink in for a second. Bill Gates is still #1 and he is giving his away, but he falls in the 1% in that group looking to share the wealth. Steve Ballmer cut a check for $2Billion for a mid level NBA franchise in the LA Clippers last fall. Yes, he is keeping people employed and all that, but still. To be able to buy that like you walk into a store and buy an iPhone carrier free and not blink because your resources are so secure is mind bending.
    Please don't get me started on sports... please.... the things I can say.... sigh...
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-24-2015 11:38 AM
    There are 1826 people on the billionaires list.
    No one wants to be a millionaire any more, billionaire is where it's at... :P

The numbers around the world are not very large anyway. The millionaires are as much a problem as the billionaires though. They're all striving to get 'more'.
    Fire 29 likes this.
    03-24-2015 11:40 AM
    The thing I have recently learned is that regardless of what other people might think, we should help other people whether they are homeless/unemployed or not.

For example, if that homeless person on the subway dropped some of the stuff she was carrying, nobody would have helped her because of the fear of what other people might think.

Never let that fear get to you. Being different doesn't necessarily make you bad.
    03-24-2015 11:43 AM
142,827 ... 42044205420642074208 ...