One of the last two remaining countries if memory serves me correctly.
    Papua New Guinea, Swaziland, Lesotho and...'Murica. That's your list.

Posted Approved by Nexus 7 (2013)
    03-24-2015 12:48 PM
    The thing I have recently learned is that regardless of what other people might think, we should help other people whether they are homeless/unemployed or not.

For example, if that homeless person on the subway dropped some of the stuff she was carrying, nobody would have helped her because of the fear of what other people might think.

Never let that fear get to you. Being different doesn't necessarily make you bad.
    That's a nice sentiment. I'm glad someone so young thinks like that.

Keep in mind when you're talking to myself and MIA we also believe in helping everyone. We have no discrimination at all. LGBT, race, culture, disability, etc. Doesn't matter to us.

For me it's been a life long learning process to get to here. I had to shed some prejudices along the way. Doesn't mean I'm perfect but I do my best to treat others as they treat me. Which is all that can be asked of anyone.

And, believe it or not, learning about science, especially evolution, was a large part of that process.
    Fire 29 and MSFTisMIA like this.
    03-24-2015 12:50 PM
    Papua New Guinea, Swaziland, Lesotho and...'Murica. That's your list.

Oh. Now I recall. It was one of the last two western countries. Australia was the other. Now it's only the US.
    03-24-2015 12:51 PM
    Please don't get me started on sports... please.... the things I can say.... sigh...
    My take on sports is simple. Anything that legally you can allow for people to earn a living in a legal manner, I'm fine with it. Yes, it is hype and artificial in many ways, but a skill is a skill and a talent is a talent. Beats the alternative, especially those in difficult socioeconomic backgrounds.

Still, it is astounding for one person to have the means to just buy a team like Ballmer did - cash only too, if I remember correctly. And yet they raised the fares here in NYC to $2.75 a ride and that extra .25 is crushing many folks.

Fire 29 and sahib lopez like this.
    03-24-2015 12:59 PM
    That's a nice sentiment. I'm glad someone so young thinks like that.

Keep in mind when you're talking to myself and MIA we also believe in helping everyone. We have no discrimination at all. LGBT, race, culture, disability, etc. Doesn't matter to us.

For me it's been a life long learning process to get to here. I had to shed some prejudices along the way. Doesn't mean I'm perfect but I do my best to treat others as they treat me. Which is all that can be asked of anyone.

And, believe it or not, learning about science, especially evolution, was a large part of that process.

Thanks.I appreciate it.
    The company in which my father works in has a driver which used to call me "sir" even though he was much older in age than me.I told him to just call me by my first name or just add the word "bro" with my first name.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-24-2015 01:08 PM
    Oh. Now I recall. It was one of the last two western countries. Australia was the other. Now it's only the US.
    And it is simply because the powers that be still benefit from no paid maternity leave for women, and keeping women making .78-.86 for every $1 made by men for the exact same work.

Don't rile me up man, lol. Perhaps I need to get off my soapbox so the silliness can return to the thread.

N_LaRUE, worldspy99 and Fire 29 like this.
    03-24-2015 01:16 PM
    No one wants to be a millionaire any more, billionaire is where it's at... :P

The numbers around the world are not very large anyway. The millionaires are as much a problem as the billionaires though. They're all striving to get 'more'.
    A millionaire in the US isn't worth ****. It can cost a specialty doctor over the course of their medical training a million dollars for their education. That's why millionaires want more money. The tax man's knife still has more biting teeth to a millionaire than to a $100 millionaire than to a billionaire.

N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-24-2015 01:19 PM
    And it is simply because the powers that be still benefit from no paid maternity leave for women, and keeping women making .78-.86 for every $1 made by men for the exact same work.

Don't rile me up man, lol. Perhaps I need to get off my soapbox so the silliness can return to the thread.

I'd rather have this here than the typos and the coffee snobbery from you know who!
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-24-2015 02:14 PM
    A millionaire in the US isn't worth ****. It can cost a specialty doctor over the course of their medical training a million dollars for their education. That's why millionaires want more money. The tax man's knife still has more biting teeth to a millionaire than to a $100 millionaire than to a billionaire.

Even then there is no excuse for not paying the taxes...I grew up in a place where when the population was close to 950 million and only 5 million registered tax payers....and that too all government employees and one could see why no services existed....even though there is wastage here, tax dollars do work....
    N_LaRUE and MSFTisMIA like this.
    03-24-2015 02:16 PM
    I'd rather have this here than the typos and the coffee snobbery from you know who!

You can say his name:

It's "Lord Voldemort"! 😆
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-24-2015 02:23 PM
    Even then there is no excuse for not paying the taxes...I grew up in a place where when the population was close to 950 million and only 5 million registered tax payers....and that too all government employees and one could see why no services existed....even though there is wastage here, tax dollars do work....
    Don't get me wrong, I agree. Tax dollars work and it does help share a few crumbs of the wealth around. I would never say don't tax the rich. I'd like to get into that above 250K amount and will happily pay my taxes.

I just think we need to nail the tax dodgers and use the tax monies more effectively. There is no reason for food pantries to have bare shelves because no one is donating supplies. There is no reason to have people living on the streets in a country with the four seasons on full display. We just take the for profit angle first a bit too much in my view. Make sure people are fed, in a place with a roof overhead and give them enough of a chance to pay their bills. It is easier to work and be productive when you're not distracted by when and where your next meal comes from and or where you need to go sleep.

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-24-2015 02:38 PM
    I'm not going to slam him on this issue as I can remember when we used to talk heavyweight stuff like this before you posted regularly on this thread, he made some nice comments where he was showing learning and growth.

He still needs to get out of Orland to see how the world looks if he wants to go places and do things...

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    03-24-2015 02:42 PM
    My take on sports is simple. Anything that legally you can allow for people to earn a living in a legal manner, I'm fine with it. Yes, it is hype and artificial in many ways, but a skill is a skill and a talent is a talent. Beats the alternative, especially those in difficult socioeconomic backgrounds.

Still, it is astounding for one person to have the means to just buy a team like Ballmer did - cash only too, if I remember correctly. And yet they raised the fares here in NYC to $2.75 a ride and that extra .25 is crushing many folks.

I have nothing against sports or people getting paid to play sports. I have two issues concerning it though.

1 - It's so over hyped now that it distracts from everything, though needing a distraction in life, it has become the opium of the people. Those in power know this. Money is spent more on sports than anything else and it's damaging society in my opinion.

2 - Sports is no longer about the sports fan. It's all about how much money they can make. That's the owners, coaches and players. The fact you can get a ticket to watch is not their concern so long as they're getting their millions/billions.

Those are my two issues.

Talking about public transport. The fares go up here every year. I pay 5.10 for a return ticket. Keep in mind my travel is about 12 minutes each way. To travel with a travel card to London cost 14.80 but that's 'cheap' because I get a discount but with that discount I can only travel at certain times. It's usually 22.40 without it at the same times.
    03-24-2015 02:42 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I agree. Tax dollars work and it does help share a few crumbs of the wealth around. I would never say don't tax the rich. I'd like to get into that above 250K amount and will happily pay my taxes.

I just think we need to nail the tax dodgers and use the tax monies more effectively. There is no reason for food pantries to have bare shelves because no one is donating supplies. There is no reason to have people living on the streets in a country with the four seasons on full display. We just take the for profit angle first a bit too much in my view. Make sure people are fed, in a place with a roof overhead and give them enough of a chance to pay their bills. It is easier to work and be productive when you're not distracted by when and where your next meal comes from and or where you need to go sleep.

Penned on a Xperia Z3
    The problem lies exactly in the higher income bracket. The people making 250K + want to make a million and not pay a dime more in taxes than they are currently. The millionaires want to become billionaires and not pay taxes...they want to dodge taxes....heck even Apple / Google don't want to pay their fair share.
    Trickle down economics works in the USA.

What I mean in trickle down tax dodging works in the USA. The mentality of the large corporations of not paying taxes, trickles down into their executives who are billionaires/millionaires and then into their VPs and Directors and so on and so forth....
    MSFTisMIA and N_LaRUE like this.
    03-24-2015 02:54 PM

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have started a campaign to ask fellow billionaires to leave their wealth when they die to charity but there are more than a few billionaires who have told them to shove it...I wish someone tells them that there is no way they can take all those $$$$ with them when their time is up on this planet....
    MSFTisMIA, N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    03-24-2015 02:55 PM
    I'm going to sleepy land. Hope I'll meet some fairies there. Bye.
    03-24-2015 02:58 PM
    Rue, I see your public transport comment and raise you this:

MTA: NYC subways (NY state stuff)
    MTA: Long Island Railroad (NY state stuff)
    NJ Transit: NJ state stuff
    MTA Metro North: NY State + Connecticut
    PATH: NJ state + NY state stuff

NYC subways and NJ transit also include buses. With the NYC subways, you have access to bus and trains for the same base fare. NJ transit, they put that into zones. So you can show a monthly train pass on NJ Transit on a bus too, depending on the number of zones it covers. You can be in a situation where even with a monthly train pass you still have to pay money out of pocket to take the business. For instance, if your train pass covers a two zone bus ride and you're on a bus taking a trip that crosses three zones, you pay the difference out of pocket.

Headache? Confused yet? But wait, there's more.

Each of those 5 systems I described offers a monthly pass option. There are hundreds of riders like me that use multiple systems so we need multiple monthly passes. I used to use a monthly PATH + ZONE 1 NJ bus pass + NYC subway pass as that was the cheapest option for my budget. Now i use an MTA Subway and a NJ transit train pass. And for folks who have to park their cars to get to mass transit, you've got to thrown in monthly park spot costs.

And even though the MTA has the three branches, they are run separately as possible... but raise their fares simultaneously whenever there's a fair increase.

And yet ALL that is done to keep as much people of the roads traveling into NYC as possible. You drive in you pay tolls...$12-$15 at these entry points one way. If EVERYONE drove into NYC, nothing would get done. And yet the George Washington Bridge coming into NYC is still the busiest bridge on Earth.

Still confused?

N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-24-2015 03:10 PM
    Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have started a campaign to ask fellow billionaires to leave their wealth when they die to charity but there are more than a few billionaires who have told them to shove it...I wish someone tells them that there is no way they can take all those $$$$ with them when their time is up on this planet....
    These guys won't leave their wealth to no one. You were born with nothing as a human being, you'll die with nothing as a human being. That concept does not register. They know the Pharaohs tried to take their wealth with them, and once they died, grave robbers helped themselves to it later. I don't know. Social communism was floated as a choice but capitalism is resilient as a cockroach.

N_LaRUE and sahib lopez like this.
    03-24-2015 03:16 PM
    Whole lot of subway talk to TUNNEL through! Eh? Anyone? No? Ok.
    03-24-2015 04:01 PM
    We should all get together and go!

Subarashi!
    I can't afford to take people with me! Besides, it's a one way trip for me. Once I'm there, I'm never coming back to England.
    03-24-2015 04:02 PM
    Rue, I see your public transport comment and raise you this:

MTA: NYC subways (NY state stuff)
    MTA: Long Island Railroad (NY state stuff)
    NJ Transit: NJ state stuff
    MTA Metro North: NY State + Connecticut
    PATH: NJ state + NY state stuff

NYC subways and NJ transit also include buses. With the NYC subways, you have access to bus and trains for the same base fare. NJ transit, they put that into zones. So you can show a monthly train pass on NJ Transit on a bus too, depending on the number of zones it covers. You can be in a situation where even with a monthly train pass you still have to pay money out of pocket to take the business. For instance, if your train pass covers a two zone bus ride and you're on a bus taking a trip that crosses three zones, you pay the difference out of pocket.

Headache? Confused yet? But wait, there's more.

Each of those 5 systems I described offers a monthly pass option. There are hundreds of riders like me that use multiple systems so we need multiple monthly passes. I used to use a monthly PATH + ZONE 1 NJ bus pass + NYC subway pass as that was the cheapest option for my budget. Now i use an MTA Subway and a NJ transit train pass. And for folks who have to park their cars to get to mass transit, you've got to thrown in monthly park spot costs.

And even though the MTA has the three branches, they are run separately as possible... but raise their fares simultaneously whenever there's a fair increase.

And yet ALL that is done to keep as much people of the roads traveling into NYC as possible. You drive in you pay tolls...$12-$15 at these entry points one way. If EVERYONE drove into NYC, nothing would get done. And yet the George Washington Bridge coming into NYC is still the busiest bridge on Earth.

Still confused?

You explained it well. ;)

I'm not confused at all. When I lived in Canada I had to use three different systems to get to my college doing something similar to what you do. Bus, train, subway.

Here in the UK all the trains going into London are run by separate companies. Thankfully they fall under one umbrella though to keep things simple. London is dived into zones as well but most people who visit London don't leave Zone 6.

I've travelled on many different public transport systems in several counties. Several in foreign languages. Russia was interesting.... It's a lot easier than driving most of the time. For example, you wouldn't want to drive in Paris or Rome. I've driven in London, LA and New York., in Manhattan. I've used the NYC subway system as well. Was fun.

I prefer public transport. Typically when we travel to Europe with our car we park it and use public transport where we are, if we're in a large enough place that is. We've been to some pretty small towns.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-24-2015 04:36 PM
    I can't afford to take people with me! Besides, it's a one way trip for me. Once I'm there, I'm never coming back to England.
    Running away huh? ;)

I did the same so I get the idea. I've been living away from Canada for almost 12 years. I won't be going back to live there, ever. Visit, yes, live, no.
    worldspy99 likes this.
    03-24-2015 04:39 PM
    Running away huh? ;)

I did the same so I get the idea. I've been living away from Canada for almost 12 years. I won't be going back to live there, ever. Visit, yes, live, no.
    Been here almost 20 years.....going back to visit - you betcha, every year sometimes every few months....going back to live probably not....
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    03-24-2015 04:54 PM
    Been here almost 20 years.....going back to visit - you betcha, every year sometimes every few months....going back to live probably not....
    I have to admit to not going back to Canada that often but I do talk to my mum often.

I'm not really that close to my family. We're all off in their own little worlds, more or less.
    03-24-2015 05:03 PM
    Might go for a walk at lunch today. Seems quite nice out. Bit cloudy but sunny!
    Enjoy the walk :) here where I'm at it's cloudy

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830
    03-24-2015 05:15 PM
145,256 ... 42054206420742084209 ...