WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It's amazing how mobile phones have become such an important component of our social/technological lives. Me, I'm fine with basic smartphone features in an aesthetically pleasing package. There are many apps and functions that are vital to so many peoples lives, which I could easily live without.

I actually use a Lumia 810 which I paid $73 on eBay:)

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

So I had given my 620 to my friend to get it updated to cyan+8.1+ update 1 and received it just now. Device feels even smoother now. Touch response has vastly improved, battery life is longer and love those little network activity indicators 😊. In the meanwhile I used my old Nokia 3110 Classic for a while. There are some features on dumb phones that I really miss on smartphones-
1) can text without looking at the screen(hardware keyboard).
2) for instance, I had to call my dad, I put my hand in my pocket, click the green call button 2 times and the call is already going before I take it out and put the handset to my ear 👂. I love the ease and speed with which you can call someone.
3) my 3110 screen blinks when there is a missed call, text, or notification. This is far more noticeable than an led light/glance.
4) Alarm rings even when the phone is switched off.
5) Phone switches on and off very very quickly.
6) can easily put the phone on silent by long pressing the # button.
7) You can pause while you are recording a video! For some reason, this feature is missing on ios, WP, Android, blackberry.
8) You can have screensavers.
9) On some dumb phones there is a torch 🔦. Just long press the c key and it turns on. Highly useful.
10) Separate charging and data transfer ports. This may be a disadvantage for some., but you can easily charge your phone faster using a charger and also transfer data at the same time.
11) Lastly, very very long battery life! Seriously,I charged it only after using it for 5 days(20% left still lol) with only a 1020mAh battery. And not to mention this phone is 7 years old! 😊
12) Nokia store/Ovi store has improved a lot. There are many banking apps, fb,WhatsApp, line,UC browser, Opera mini, the lot. There is even a pdf reader, word, offline dictionary, Nokia maps, eBook reader. Skype was there, but couldn't login(MS discontinued Symbian support). Not bad for a 2007 phone.
You can also move these apps to sd card. Texting via WhatsApp is fun,I can type super fast on this T9 keyboard 😜
13) if your phone and PC are connected via Bluetooth, you can dial and receive calls on your PC, without touching the phone using Nokia suite. You can also play music remotely from phone to PC and vice versa. You can use the phone as a mouse 🐭 too lol.
Backup can also be done via Bluetooth.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

I enjoyed using the 3110 after so many years. I'm thinking of putting my dad's old SIM inside it and using it as a secondary phone(calls only) :p :D

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

I forgot to mention, there is also a nice feature called" any key answer" just press any key to answer an incoming call. The call is connected before I can take the phone out of my pocket :)

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Oh look, I got mentioned :).
141177a04390464ec631a1c3e44cd6d6.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1 using Tapatalk.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It is a fantastic price considering Apple will ship one to me in 10 days and this is available now!! The guy is selling it at cost and the reason it is a great price and a win win for both of us is because the tax rate is higher where I live and lower where he lives so the difference covers for shipping with insurance. Actually it is $1.04 more than what I would pay locally but the amount I would spend in gas (or petrol) to go to the store and my time would take care of the $1 difference:)

It's a great price but not for me. Apple doesn't fit in my life. Nothing against the platform as there are many who like it. They sold more than 10 million already. I think this one is going to be goods for them. So many people wanted a larger iPhone and now it's here.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

And Here maps now have real time traffic informations. Nice, that's big here since I think they are the first to offer it here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

And Here maps now have real time traffic informations. Nice, that's big here since I think they are the first to offer it here.

Is it out already or is it coming? Did you tip WPC?

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

It is out already but I think it's pointless to tip them since we are small enough anyway (2 milion) and with WP market share about 10-15% is quite pointless to talk about news only considering us on a site this big.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

To explain. I was on Symbian prior to WP. I thought I'd give it a chance. I didn't fully realise it's limitations, even compared to Symbian at the time. Being a person who didn't mind Nokia was part of the appeal.

I feel at this moment I've given WP a chance to catch up. At this stage it's still behind. I'm giving until W9. If there no decent handset and if they botch the integration then that's it. I'm out. I'm not waiting another two years for them to sort out their mess again.

Honestly I think this is fair but I can only imagine you going the way of Chregu and going Android at this point if you didn't stick with WP. I'd be loathed to see you do that, as you've gone from Symbian to WP and I get the feeling you like to try out the developing platforms. Also it'd be sad to see you go from the community and this thread.

I hope MS have a lot up their sleeves, their WP development pace seems to be quickening - I think a big global high-end flagship release would go a long way to help the situation.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Honestly I think this is fair but I can only imagine you going the way of Chregu and going Android at this point if you didn't stick with WP. I'd be loathed to see you do that, as you've gone from Symbian to WP and I get the feeling you like to try out the developing platforms. Also it'd be sad to see you go from the community and this thread.

I hope MS have a lot up their sleeves, their WP development pace seems to be quickening - I think a big global high-end flagship release would go a long way to help the situation.

That was beautiful 😭.....

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

We'll see what happens. I haven't jumped ship yet. I'm dual platform already so it's not like I'm in a hurry.

A lot depends on what MS does and how devs and reviewers take to it. Nothing against MS I'm just tired of being on the forgotten OS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786