The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I like the name edge though it does remind me of 2g
    Yeah but who wants to be reminded of 2G while browsing?
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 04-30-2015 at 03:15 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-30-2015 01:15 AM
    I wouldn't mind seeing someone saying developers developers developers developers :P
    He didn't do the act, or say the words, but that's what I was seeing.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    04-30-2015 03:08 AM
    or what I mean seeing an executive with this type of enthusiasm...

Sport Driver and sahib lopez like this.
    04-30-2015 03:36 AM
    So after reading most things (I didn't read everything) here's my thoughts.

I think overall the keynote was good and positive. It had a lot of great innovation and ideas. I think on the whole MS is moving in the right direction and it would appear their 'software' focus is the right idea.

Saying that I have some other points.

Though making it easier to get developers on to W10 doesn't mean it will happen. Since I'm not a developer I have no idea how easy it really is so I can't say one way or the other if these innovations have any ability to attract developers the way they hope. I can see more Android devs rather than Apple ones coming over if I were to choose. I've found some Apple devs to be a bit snobbish about developing for other platforms. It's really unfortunate these types of tools weren't around when WP8 first came out. I think it would have made a big difference. I'll give credit here to Nadella for that thinking.

Continuum. Great idea. It's sort of like a geek dream from years past come true. I remember when phones started to get 'smarter' and the desire to have a full fledged 'pocket' computer was around. My main concern here is the markets that MS is big in might be ignored and that's a concern. When your largest markets are emerging having premium handsets as the only means of using Continuum might make it niche. To me for this to succeed and become the norm use it needs to have universal appeal. I think having a multilevel approach here will make this possible. Sort of like the different levels of CPUs that already exist. Certain phones will be better with certain apps. One key thing is that they would be able to run full Office regardless. Think about that in context. Emerging markets having access to full Office on a cheap phone. That would be a selling point right there. I guess we'll see.

The new browser I'm neither here nor there about. I think some of the new integration ideas sound great.

Same goes for the new Office stuff.

I'm neither here nor there about the Linux/Mac stuff. I guess it's good.

Lastly, HoloLens. Again. Great idea. For me? Probably not. I can see the benefits of it though without doubt.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 04-30-2015 at 04:41 AM.
    04-30-2015 03:55 AM
    You're either up earlier or haven't gone to bed. :P
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    04-30-2015 03:58 AM

I think overall the keynote was good and positive. It had a lot of great innovation and ideas. I think on the whole MS is moving in the right direction and it would appear their 'software' focus is the right idea.

Though making it easier to get developers on to W10 doesn't mean it will happen. Since I'm not a developer I have no idea how easy it really is so I can't say one way or the other if these innovations have any ability to attract developers the way they hope. I can see more Android devs rather than Apple ones coming over if I were to choose. I've found some Apple devs to be a bit snobbish about developing for other platforms. It's really unfortunate these types of tools weren't around when WP8 first came out. I think it would have made a big difference. I'll give credit here to Nadyala for that thinking.

Continuum. Great idea. It's sort of like a geek dream from years past come true. I remember when phones started to get 'smarter' and the desire to have a full fledged 'pocket' computer was around. My main concern here is the markets that MS is big in might be ignored and that's a concern. When your largest markets are emerging having premium handsets as the only means of using Continuum might make it niche. To me for this to succeed and become the norm use it needs to have universal appeal. I think having a multilevel approach here will make this possible. Sort like the different levels of CPUs that already exist. Certain phones will be better with certain apps. One key thing is that they would be able to run full Office regardless. Think about that in context. Emerging markets having access to full Office on a cheap phone. That would be a selling point right there. I guess we'll see.

The new browser I'm neither here nor there about. I think some of the new integration ideas sound great.

Lastly, HoloLens. Again. Great idea. For me? Probably not. I can see the benefits of it though without doubt.

On the whole, I agree.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-30-2015 04:34 AM
    You're either up earlier or haven't gone to bed.
    Uhhhhhhhhhh, I'm scared 😱😨

Sent from Mr. Tech Man using Tapatalk
    04-30-2015 05:24 AM
    Uhhhhhhhhhh, I'm scared

What are you scared of?
    04-30-2015 05:26 AM
    I wasn't ready for the over excitement.

04-30-2015 05:27 AM
    He caught me off guard, plus I had a hard time turning down the volume on my phone.

04-30-2015 05:29 AM
    He caught me off guard, plus I had a hard time turning down the volume on my phone.

AH. I see. Balmar was interesting....
    04-30-2015 05:31 AM
    Very very interesting.

04-30-2015 05:33 AM
    So, here in the UK I checked the major news sites to see what they're saying about Build.

BCC - only talks about the app thing and the 'issues' of that
    The Telegraph - Browser, app thing and asks the question when W10 will come
    The Guardian - No mention at all

Of course I'll give those journalists the benefit of the doubt that they're possibly still sleeping at this time and didn't get a story out yesterday but I find it rather sad that they couldn't get a story about it to their respective news channels before heading off to bed.

Pretty sad journalism here. Nothing really positive at all at the major news spots for Microsoft yet the UK has about 8% WP users.
    04-30-2015 07:53 AM
    In other news that has absolutely nothing to do with tech at all....

Last Saturday when I was in London I bought some new dress shirts for work. Here in the UK, in my industry (and in general with some exceptions) workers tend to dress on the formal side. Suit jackets, dress shirts, ties etc...

Oddly enough, it's this kind of thing that makes it easy for someone to go out in a tux without anyone batting an eye or wondering where the 'wedding' is as it's that common place.

Anyway, I bought, for the first time in my life, dress shirts that require cuff links. I've worn cuff links before but never owned any or owned shirts that require them. So I bought two shirts and a pair of cuff links. However odd this may sound, it's not out of place in my work or in the UK at all. We have various levels of formal dress at my work.

Aside from the slight annoyance of having to do the things up, I can honestly say I like them more than the standard button up sleeve. They're a lot more comfortable. I got rather plain (mid priced) cuff links and as time goes by I may buy more shirts and cuff links to mix it up a bit.

Never thought I'd ever own cuff links.
    04-30-2015 08:00 AM
    I think MSFT has come a long way under Nadella. A very impressive keynote compared to a few years ago.
    Agreed. Not sure if it will be enough to be a true leader like Apple or Google, but enough to still make them a compelling #3 option.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    sahib lopez likes this.
    04-30-2015 08:32 AM

Last Saturday when I was in London I bought some new dress shirts for work. Here in the UK, in my industry (and in general with some exceptions) workers tend to dress on the formal side. Suit jackets, dress shirts, ties etc...

Oddly enough, it's this kind of thing that makes it easy for someone to go out in a tux without anyone batting an eye or wondering where the 'wedding' is as it's that common place.

Anyway, I bought, for the first time in my life, dress shirts that require cuff links. I've worn cuff links before but never owned any or owned shirts that require them. So I bought two shirts and a pair of cuff links. However odd this may sound, it's not out of place in my work or in the UK at all. We have various levels of formal dress at my work.

Aside from the slight annoyance of having to do the things up, I can honestly say I like them more than the standard button up sleeve. They're a lot more comfortable. I got rather plain (mid priced) cuff links and as time goes by I may buy more shirts and cuff links to mix it up a bit.

I own two pairs of cuff links and two shirts that whenever I need to get completely dressed up, I pull those out. They really are comfortable and can make you feel "like a boss!" when wearing them.

04-30-2015 08:35 AM

Though making it easier to get developers on to W10 doesn't mean it will happen. Since I'm not a developer I have no idea how easy it really is so I can't say one way or the other if these innovations have any ability to attract developers the way they hope. I can see more Android devs rather than Apple ones coming over if I were to choose. I've found some Apple devs to be a bit snobbish about developing for other platforms. It's really unfortunate these types of tools weren't around when WP8 first came out. I think it would have made a big difference. I'll give credit here to Nadella for that thinking.

Continuum. Great idea. It's sort of like a geek dream from years past come true. I remember when phones started to get 'smarter' and the desire to have a full fledged 'pocket' computer was around. My main concern here is the markets that MS is big in might be ignored and that's a concern. When your largest markets are emerging having premium handsets as the only means of using Continuum might make it niche. To me for this to succeed and become the norm use it needs to have universal appeal. I think having a multilevel approach here will make this possible. Sort of like the different levels of CPUs that already exist. Certain phones will be better with certain apps. One key thing is that they would be able to run full Office regardless. Think about that in context. Emerging markets having access to full Office on a cheap phone. That would be a selling point right there. I guess we'll see.

Ibid.

I like where MSFT is going. The question is, can they make the platform truly more viable as an option? Let's call a spade a spade: if you're a developer worth any salt, you've got enough analytics to tell what your foot traffic is like per OS. If you don't feel you're getting enough foot traffic at a particular level for Windows, why would you develop - even if the tools are easy to port? If a big bank like Chase or BOA with resources are pulling apps, then how can you realistically expect your indie developer to be super excited?

The answer isn't trying to get people to switch from Android or iOS, but to get after the real lion's share - new users. That's why Google is pushing hard since 4.4+ - they needed to raise the hardware floor and optimize devices for the lower end to really build their reach. Apple will never be affordable for those folks. So if MSFT can pepper in some solid upper mid range and flagships and really good low end hardware, they have a shot to build their user base. Then the apps will come. In see that that's what there doing, but to me, they may need to kill off some of these older Nokia models to do it at some point to keep the offerings streamlined to a few handsets.

04-30-2015 08:43 AM
    I own two pairs of cuff links and two shirts that whenever I need to get completely dressed up, I pull those out. They really are comfortable and can make you feel "like a boss!" when wearing them.

Thing is I just feel normal in them. Oddly enough my cuff links 'BOSS' on them.

Mine don't have the small lettering at the bottom but look the same. I was told a while back that if I ever bought any I should get the solid one piece as they're more sturdy. These were the most plain and understated ones I could find. I've noticed online a black pair... I may have to consider those.

hugo-boss-black-hadrien-rectangular-cufflinks-3.jpg
    04-30-2015 08:52 AM
    Ibid.

I like where MSFT is going. The question is, can they make the platform truly more viable as an option? Let's call a spade a spade: if you're a developer worth any salt, you've got enough analytics to tell what your foot traffic is like per OS. If you don't feel you're getting enough foot traffic at a particular level for Windows, why would you develop - even if the tools are easy to port? If a big bank like Chase or BOA with resources are pulling apps, then how can you realistically expect your indie developer to be super excited?
    That's the catch 22 thing. Not enough footfall means not many people on WP which means no apps. So it's fight of users vs devs. Which one can you get first.

The answer isn't trying to get people to switch from Android or iOS, but to get after the real lion's share - new users. That's why Google is pushing hard since 4.4+ - they needed to raise the hardware floor and optimize devices for the lower end to really build their reach. Apple will never be affordable for those folks. So if MSFT can pepper in some solid upper mid range and flagships and really good low end hardware, they have a shot to build their user base. Then the apps will come. In see that that's what there doing, but to me, they may need to kill off some of these older Nokia models to do it at some point to keep the offerings streamlined to a few handsets.

I think W10 will be the last update for any old Nokia device. To move forward they need to shed that skin without doubt. Unfortunately they've had few compelling devices lately. Neither high end or low. Nothing seems to have really excited the populace. Even the fans are feeling a bit on the wane.

So the software is now looking more interesting now we need the hardware to go with it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-30-2015 09:02 AM

That's interesting. Most stores here in the US don't even sell French cuff shirts. I've only seen guys wear cufflinks with tuxedo shirts at weddings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-30-2015 11:39 AM
    I only have one shirt that uses cuff links. I recently received a really nice silk tie with matching cuff links which I'll wear one of these days.
    04-30-2015 11:41 AM
    That's the catch 22 thing. Not enough footfall means not many people on WP which means no apps. So it's fight of users vs devs. Which one can you get first.

I think W10 will be the last update for any old Nokia device. To move forward they need to shed that skin without doubt. Unfortunately they've had few compelling devices lately. Neither high end or low. Nothing seems to have really excited the populace. Even the fans are feeling a bit on the wane.

So the software is now looking more interesting now we need the hardware to go with it.
    If it were up to me, I'd keep the 535, 640, and the 435 and kill everything else (yes, even the 735). The only thing I'd support for a little longer are the 1520, 930 and 830. Don't mind the dual Sim versions for the low and mid range either. Here's my lineup, including screen sizes...

4xx - entry level (4")
    5xx - low end 4.5- 5")
    6xx - mid range (5" and a 6")
    8xx - flagship compact (4.7")
    9xx - flagship (5.5")

I wouldn't even do another update to the 1520 until MSFT really makes the OS better optimized for larger screens.

04-30-2015 12:03 PM
    Thing is I just feel normal in them. Oddly enough my cuff links 'BOSS' on them.

Mine don't have the small lettering at the bottom but look the same. I was told a while back that if I ever bought any I should get the solid one piece as they're more sturdy. These were the most plain and understated ones I could find. I've noticed online a black pair... I may have to consider those.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hugo-Boss-Black-Hadrien-Rectangular-Cufflinks-3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	103550
    A boss wearing boss cuff links. Nice.

The last time I wore mine was 14 months ago at my aunt's funeral. I helped my uncle put on his cuff links too. There's just something I suppose for me very "proper" about wearing cuff links that I've always liked. I wish I could wear them more, but that's just me. Like you, I like them understated...nothing flashy, as the trained eye will see it.

04-30-2015 12:06 PM

I have a pair of cuff links but I hardly use them since I haven't found a reason too ( besides weddings )
    04-30-2015 12:08 PM
    That's interesting. Most stores here in the US don't even sell French cuff shirts. I've only seen guys wear cufflinks with tuxedo shirts at weddings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    In most menswear shops that sell work shirts there's always a selection of shirts that use cufflinks here. If be surpassed if there wasn't.

As I said it's not uncommon. Lots of men have shirts with cufflinks here. I saw a few at my work today.

I used to work with a British manager in Toronto and he always dressed in a shirt and tie with a jacket. Some of his shirts had cufflinks. He was a very nice guy and I always thought his style was rather wealthy looking. I now see it wasn't anything out of the ordinary here. It was simply the North American perspective I had.

He was of course well off but I now know that his dress style reflected more his homeland than anything else.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-30-2015 12:12 PM
142,785 ... 42854286428742884289 ...