Black Friday is almost here!

Get the inside track on all the best deals.

Personally we have a washing machine and a dishwasher in the kitchen. They are side by side, but not the same machine. Same make though.
    Does the washing machine also dry the clothes?

I never knew such a thing existed. We have separate machines to wash and dry our clothes.
    05-07-2015 03:15 AM
    I thought UK citizens who are super-rich, such as celebrities in the music and film businesses, typically reside outside the UK for tax purposes.
    Keep in mind when I said 'super rich' - Treasury reveals how little tax the super-rich pay | Society | The Guardian

Why the super-rich love the UK | Society | The Guardian

The Super-Rich and Us on BBC2: How much money do the wealthiest people make? Who are the richest people in the world?

I know these are older articles but I can't find anything 'new' in amongst the election news. There's many more but I think that should cover it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-07-2015 03:23 AM
    When I was really young, I remember going to my great aunt's house. She lived in an old neighbourhood, in a house that was originally built in the 19th Century.

Her house had a cellar with a dirt floor. The house had a furnace in a room, but there was no duct work, so the furnace just heated the entire house based upon dispersion of the heat.

The bathroom, with bathtub, toilet and sink, was an addition onto the house. It did not get much heat at all.

I learned later that many people did not have bathrooms in their houses here in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. They had outhouses in their back yards. They went to bath houses to bathe.

http://clevelandhistorical.org/items...4#.VUsT5EF7nDc

An old public bath house was converted into upscale condos in the mid-90s. That neighbourhood has art walks monthly. During one art walk, I explored the ruins of the old bath house, prior to the renovation, along with some friends. We haven't toured the condos since they've been built. That same neighbourhood is where St Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral is located. That was the church where the wedding scene in The Deer Hunter was filmed.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 05-07-2015 at 03:34 AM.
    MSFTisMIA and worldspy99 like this.
    05-07-2015 03:24 AM
    Does the washing machine also dry the clothes?

I never knew such a thing existed. We have separate machines to wash and dry our clothes.
    You can get both here. Typically font loaders have both washing and drying capabilities. You can get a front loader washer and a front loader dryer separately. You can get top loader washer as well.

Most go for the one machine because of space constraints which is a common thing in Europe overall.

Here's a rather 'odd' looking washer/dryer that we had in Finland. - This is a 'top loader' but not like anything you've seen before. The 'drum' is sealed and it opens up to put the clothes in so it acts like a front loader. It washes and dries. It's very compact as well.

awe2316.jpgpesukone-pyykki-pesurumpu.jpg
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-07-2015 03:31 AM
    You can get both here. Typically font loaders have both washing and drying capabilities. You can get a front loader washer and a front loader dryer separately. You can get top loader washer as well.

Most go for the one machine because of space constraints which is a common thing in Europe overall.

Here's a rather 'odd' looking washer/dryer that we had in Finland. - This is a 'top loader' but not like anything you've seen before. The 'drum' is sealed and it opens up to put the clothes in so it acts like a front loader. It washes and dries. It's very compact as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AWE2316.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	104142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pesukone+pyykki+pesurumpu.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	104143
    That's cool! You're right. I've never seen anything like that, nor even knew such things existed.
    05-07-2015 03:41 AM
    That's cool! You're right. I've never seen anything like that, nor even knew such things existed.
    Finland typically puts their washers in the bathroom or other wet room if you have a separate one. Unlike the UK. :P

The Finish/Scandinavian bathroom is a whole other discussion...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-07-2015 03:52 AM
    Interesting, I have never heard of most of this stuff. But my grandfather also has separate bathroom and WC, his house is from 1960s so this was probably the thing of that time.
    Some new builds do this and I recall many in Canada that had this as well.

What I have trouble getting used to is carpet in the bathroom and we even had it in the kitchen... so unhygienic!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-07-2015 03:54 AM

What I have trouble getting used to is carpet in the bathroom and we even had it in the kitchen... so unhygienic!
    Most people here don't have carpet in bathroom or kitchen. Tile floor in common in bathroom. Kitchen floor is either tile or hardwood.
    05-07-2015 03:55 AM
    Most people here don't have carpet in bathroom or kitchen. Tile floor in common in bathroom. Kitchen floor is either tile or hardwood.
    That's the way it's gone here as well. Though you still run into carpet in bathrooms and kitchens here. Depends on the age of the place and the people living in it. Some people just love carpet... it's a bit of a UK obsession I think.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-07-2015 04:00 AM
    Finland typically puts their washers in the bathroom or other wet room if you have a separate one. Unlike the UK. :P

The Finish/Scandinavian bathroom is a whole other discussion...
    Old tenements in New York City often had bathtubs in the kitchen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/30/ny...en-wisdom.html

nyc-tenement.jpg

o-stanton-street-stay-570.jpg
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    05-07-2015 04:05 AM

NEW YORK OBSERVED - Kitchen Wisdom - NYTimes.com

Name:	NYC+tenement.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	104144

Name:	o-STANTON-STREET-STAY-570.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	104145
    That's crazy! Though unsurprising...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-07-2015 04:09 AM
    I showed this to my little sister and it took her 15 seconds to notice because she wasn't expecting something like this.
    05-07-2015 05:04 AM
    When I was really young, I remember going to my great aunt's house. She lived in an old neighbourhood, in a house that was originally built in the 19th Century.

Her house had a cellar with a dirt floor. The house had a furnace in a room, but there was no duct work, so the furnace just heated the entire house based upon dispersion of the heat.

The bathroom, with bathtub, toilet and sink, was an addition onto the house. It did not get much heat at all.

I learned later that many people did not have bathrooms in their houses here in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. They had outhouses in their back yards. They went to bath houses to bathe.

Lincoln Park Baths | Cleveland Historical

An old public bath house was converted into upscale condos in the mid-90s. That neighbourhood has art walks monthly. During one art walk, I explored the ruins of the old bath house, prior to the renovation, along with some friends. We haven't toured the condos since they've been built. That same neighbourhood is where St Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral is located. That was the church where the wedding scene in The Deer Hunter was filmed.
    There were many public bath houses here in the UK. They got a bit of a shady reputation.

It wasn't until after WWII that toilets became common in new homes and it was up until the 70s that some older houses were still being fitted. I recall a documentary I saw recently that talked about whole neighbourhoods only having one or two toilets at one point in time that was publicly used. That was in the 1900s in cities.

I am very happy things have changed so much for the better in this regard!
    05-07-2015 06:57 AM

Some people don't have carpets in bathroom? 😮 We have them in bathroom and kitchen. The one in kitchen has to be replaced every year.
    05-07-2015 08:29 AM
    Very financy day today at work. Bit depressing. I've been told I'm creating more work for myself than I really need to when I'm at work, so trying to scale back too!
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-07-2015 08:36 AM
    There were many public bath houses here in the UK. They got a bit of a shady reputation.

It wasn't until after WWII that toilets became common in new homes and it was up until the 70s that some older houses were still being fitted. I recall a documentary I saw recently that talked about whole neighbourhoods only having one or two toilets at one point in time that was publicly used. That was in the 1900s in cities.

I am very happy things have changed so much for the better in this regard!
    Talk about being in a s****y situation when there's a line for the can...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-07-2015 09:31 AM
    one day ill get 50k posts like you
    And that will be a sad day....
    05-07-2015 09:38 AM
    Ops my bad I mean Flower ._.
    And you spelled it wrong again! I hope this isn't how you are going to communicate once you get a job, or have typos like this in your rsum! Just rejected a couple of resumes for typos two days ago. Irony is the guys were claiming to be detail oriented, yeah right!
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-07-2015 09:40 AM
    Some people don't have carpets in bathroom? �� We have them in bathroom and kitchen. The one in kitchen has to be replaced every year.
    Bathrooms and kitchens are typically tiled these days. It's more hygienic as it's easy to clean.

People from my generation and younger would rip the carpet out of bathrooms and kitchens and put tiles or other flooring in.
    worldspy99 likes this.
    05-07-2015 09:41 AM
    That's interesting, because my parents got a dishwasher in their house in 1975. The house was originally built in 1957. They tore out part of the kitchen cabinets and put the dishwasher in that spot.

It's only apartments that usually don't have dishwashers here.
    When I got my first job in the USA, first order of business was to find an apartment with a dishwasher, washer and dryer😀
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-07-2015 09:42 AM
    Is your washing machine also a dryer? That's new to me! I've never seen a single machine that washes and dries clothes here.
    Pretty common outside the USA.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-07-2015 09:43 AM
    Fairly common in the EU. Ours is like that but we don't use that function too often.

My sister tried a front loader in Canada and it leaked. I never had that issue with them. I think she over loaded it.
    Most of the washers in laundromats here are front loaders. The washer in the laundry room of my apartment is a front loader. Three of my cousins have front loaders.

I've never experienced leakage, nor have my cousins.

I think you're probably right wrt user error with your sister's washer.
    I love front loading machines, very water efficient.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-07-2015 09:44 AM
    And you spelled it wrong again! I hope this isn't how you are going to communicate once you get a job, or have typos like this in your rsum! Just rejected a couple of resumes for typos two days ago. Irony is the guys were claiming to be detail oriented, yeah right!
    And I don't want you responding to the post just for the sake of typing something in return!
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-07-2015 09:50 AM
    Bathrooms and kitchens are typically tiled these days. It's more hygienic as it's easy to clean.

People from my generation and younger would rip the carpet out of bathrooms and kitchens and put tiles or other flooring in.
    We have tiles in the bathroom but also 2 carpets on the floor.

Sent from my Motorola Moto G 2014
    05-07-2015 09:59 AM
    We have tiles in the bathroom but also 2 carpets on the floor.

Sent from my Motorola Moto G 2014
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Just to clarify here. Carpet means the whole floor is covered. Rugs are what you are referring to which is partial cover. (yeah we have two words for the same thing) Yes we have those in bathrooms, not necessarily in the kitchen. It is common in Finland to have them in the kitchen though.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-07-2015 10:11 AM
145,170 ... 42974298429943004301 ...