The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Took a whole 10 minutes lol
    I know that's the talking point of W10 but the question that needs to be asked is how many of those users use the current Windows Store on PC.

Just going by general conversation. There's still users who refuse to upgrade to W8. There are users who change W8 to look like W7, totally bypassing the Start screen. Then there are those who still refuse to give up Xp.

Just going by that alone I don't see how W10 changes much at this stage regardless of universal apps. Keeping in mind that a large quantity of mobile apps are just that... mobile apps.

Most people can get the same or better experience of some services via web browser on a PC.
    Ed Boland and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-28-2015 10:29 AM
    Haven't we been on the cusp of WWW3 for the past 10 years now?

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    I think it's been since WWII if you ask me... :P
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    05-28-2015 10:41 AM
    Just my two cents worth with regards to the whole universal app thing.

For it to be successful people are going to have to have a perceived benefit of them otherwise people will not bother. This is where things can either 'work' in MS favor or it will fall down.

You have to convince people that it's a good thing. Without that it's really just a niche idea that may work.
    05-28-2015 10:48 AM
    No the computer is not anchored and I don't have any issues with my back. :P
    And the wife cheers knowing your back is hers to throw out of alignment at her discretion!

N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-28-2015 10:51 AM
    No the computer is not anchored and I don't have any issues with my back. :P
    I got a few politicians you toss the computer at, trust me...

Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-28-2015 10:54 AM

Way too many in the US to choose from. I have enough here to. Trust me....
    05-28-2015 10:55 AM
    So we string them up in a line and make sure when you toss it, we hit as many as possible.

Lurkers, please understand it is not that I dislike politicians... I just despise the stupid, corrupt and incompetent ones, which are too abundant in number these days...

Last edited by MSFTisMIA; 05-28-2015 at 05:05 PM.
    05-28-2015 12:12 PM
    I know that's the talking point of W10 but the question that needs to be asked is how many of those users use the current Windows Store on PC.

Just going by general conversation. There's still users who refuse to upgrade to W8. There are users who change W8 to look like W7, totally bypassing the Start screen. Then there are those who still refuse to give up Xp.

Just going by that alone I don't see how W10 changes much at this stage regardless of universal apps. Keeping in mind that a large quantity of mobile apps are just that... mobile apps.

Most people can get the same or better experience of some services via web browser on a PC.
    The "current" Windows store on PC, not many.. but once Win10 comes about, with the "new" store (currently the Beta store) which will include modern apps as well as legacy x86 applications, I predict many. Especially once users start seeing the benefit of Win10 and it's ecosystem. For W7 and W8 users, the "free for the first year" upgrade to Win10 should be irresistible. Those who refuse to give up XP are going to be forced to upgrade eventually, once their machines cease to function from lack of core OS support (unless they're part of a large organization that paid dearly for the extended XP enterprise support). Home users are out of luck.

True, mobile apps, such as Snapchat, will always be a mobile only app. But other apps, games for example, can be very appealing in a "universal" setting. I've seen the benefits of this first hand recently with a couple titles I bought from the Windows store. Play them on my phone (1520) and pick up where I left off on my PC. It's a great thing IMO... more on this later.
    05-28-2015 01:16 PM
    MSFT announced this years ago and it is great to see that they are working towards it. Ultimately though, it doesn't matter as much if they cannot make it work, and work well.

I hate to be negative, but that's the truth. It isn't so much about being able to start a game on a 1520 and continue it on an Xbox and continuing it on a tablet. It is about how do all of these devices talk to each other better so I get back to what's going on in life.

One of the great things I liked about WP's campaign was the ability to use your device for what's happening in real life, instead of having your nose it the device itself. If MSFT can show not only cross platform but within platform as to why they can do that better than Google or Apple, they'll be in great shape. You notice that Android and iOS are going into Auto? I can see a situation where if I'm on Android I can be driving in my car tapping into Nest to check on the kids at home, voice commands for a to do list, using NFC to unlock the car doors and pay for groceries, etc. Or if I'm an iOS user to have Siri in the car plan a route, share the address to someone working on a conference call?

So how's does MSFT plan to leverage that kind of wide scale example of possible multi users for multi users? I won't bust them because they have the hardest job which is to get it all to work decently enough on I OS and Android to satisfy those who use those platoforms and won't switch and to those loyal to MSFT or agnostic newbies that they can lure into the MSFT perspective.

I have no answers, but that's what makes the most sense...that sort of big thinking as to justifying purchasing all these mobile techs - the seamless nature of convenience.

05-28-2015 04:12 PM
    The setup on the Redmi2.
    uploadfromtaptalk1432850558631.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1432850571033.png
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-28-2015 05:03 PM
    Hey worldspy, have you encountered an Elephone?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-28-2015 05:17 PM
    Hey worldspy, have you encountered an Elephone?
    Yes, almost got one a few months ago.
    Laura Knotek and azcruz like this.
    05-28-2015 05:32 PM
    I'll post the Meizu setup screenshot a bit later.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-28-2015 05:33 PM
    My home internet is fixed! And on Monday once I order my amazon TV fire stick, I'm gonna cut my cable off!

I'm thinking of downgrading my speed from the up to 105MB/s to the up to 25 Mb/s package ($13 difference). But if I need to stream live sports the extra speed may come in handy.

Gonna sleep on it and decide over the weekend...

sinime, Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    05-28-2015 08:41 PM
    MSFT announced this years ago and it is great to see that they are working towards it. Ultimately though, it doesn't matter as much if they cannot make it work, and work well.

I hate to be negative, but that's the truth. It isn't so much about being able to start a game on a 1520 and continue it on an Xbox and continuing it on a tablet. It is about how do all of these devices talk to each other better so I get back to what's going on in life.

One of the great things I liked about WP's campaign was the ability to use your device for what's happening in real life, instead of having your nose it the device itself. If MSFT can show not only cross platform but within platform as to why they can do that better than Google or Apple, they'll be in great shape. You notice that Android and iOS are going into Auto? I can see a situation where if I'm on Android I can be driving in my car tapping into Nest to check on the kids at home, voice commands for a to do list, using NFC to unlock the car doors and pay for groceries, etc. Or if I'm an iOS user to have Siri in the car plan a route, share the address to someone working on a conference call?

So how's does MSFT plan to leverage that kind of wide scale example of possible multi users for multi users? I won't bust them because they have the hardest job which is to get it all to work decently enough on I OS and Android to satisfy those who use those platoforms and won't switch and to those loyal to MSFT or agnostic newbies that they can lure into the MSFT perspective.

I have no answers, but that's what makes the most sense...that sort of big thinking as to justifying purchasing all these mobile techs - the seamless nature of convenience.

All great, and I agree with everything (as I type this on my iPad Air 2), but the "infograph" I posted earlier, and my point, as it were, was about developer reach with the Windows 10 platform; the market share then, versus the market that opens up with Windows 10. Not about whether or not all the universal apps and devices work well with each other. Or not even what other platforms might have going for them.

The market outlook for developers on Windows 10 is undeniably huge. I think when the Xbox One gets Windows 10 and the unified store is when they're really going to see the growth.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-28-2015 11:28 PM

So we string them up in a line and make sure when you toss it, we hit as many as possible.

Lurkers, please understand it is not that I dislike politicians... I just despise the stupid, corrupt and incompetent ones, which are too abundant in number these days...

I agree with both of you. I don't think those of us in the US are the only ones who have to deal with these types of politicians either.
    N_LaRUE and MSFTisMIA like this.
    05-29-2015 12:10 AM
    BIDS Extensions won't install on my development machine on build 10122, thinking that there's a pending reboot. (*&^%$$#!$#@$#%$%^&*(
    05-29-2015 02:13 AM
    All great, and I agree with everything (as I type this on my iPad Air 2), but the "infograph" I posted earlier, and my point, as it were, was about developer reach with the Windows 10 platform; the market share then, versus the market that opens up with Windows 10. Not about whether or not all the universal apps and devices work well with each other. Or not even what other platforms might have going for them.

The market outlook for developers on Windows 10 is undeniably huge. I think when the Xbox One gets Windows 10 and the unified store is when they're really going to see the growth.
    My point was, on the whole about the reality of that market share. Yes Windows numbers are huge but how many of them care about universal apps? Enterprise being one of the largest buyers of Microsoft products will not upgrade to W10 any time soon. Even then most will probably disable the universal apps functionality and the Store.

I have nothing against the idea of universal apps and I think it's a great thing to have but the question remains will it help Windows Mobile with apps? Don't know. There's nothing to prove one way or the other that it will change a developers mind.

I argued about this in another thread but I'll make my point here. The question all developers are going to ask is what is the Windows Store numbers now. They'll want statistics and projections and proof of those projections. From what little I've read, very few use the Windows Store on W8.1.

One of largest group of Windows Phone users at this moment are places where the phone is their computer. The emerging markets. They don't own a PC. In what way does universal apps help these people? Or prove a viable market for Windows Mobile?

These are the questions I have. It's not being negative or anti Microsoft I'm just curious. We don't know the plan really and what little we know offers few insights.

We could all be surprised come July with some fantastic announcements but who knows?

Ignorance, there is a cure.
    Ed Boland, MSFTisMIA and azcruz like this.
    05-29-2015 05:36 AM
    My point was, on the whole about the reality of that market share. Yes Windows numbers are huge but how many of them care about universal apps? Enterprise being one of the largest buyers of Microsoft products will not upgrade to W10 any time soon. Even then most will probably disable the universal apps functionality and the Store.

I have nothing against the idea of universal apps and I think it's a great thing to have but the question remains will it help Windows Mobile with apps? Don't know. There's nothing to prove one way or the other that it will change a developers mind.

I argued about this in another thread but I'll make my point here. The question all developers are going to ask is what is the Windows Store numbers now. They'll want statistics and projections and proof of those projections. From what little I've read, very few use the Windows Store on W8.1.

One of largest group of Windows Phone users at this moment are places where the phone is their computer. The emerging markets. They don't own a PC. In what way does universal apps help these people? Or prove a viable market for Windows Mobile?

These are the questions I have. It's not being negative or anti Microsoft I'm just curious. We don't know the plan really and what little we know offers few insights.

We could all be surprised come July with some fantastic announcements but who knows?

Ignorance, there is a cure.
    Right. I don't think they'll have to rely on universal apps. The devs don't care which device their app/game gets installed on, but that the customer bought their product. Like you say, some people might have a phone only, or an Xbox one only. It's just that many more potential customers. The devs should be looking at the millions of Xbox owners for their new game for example, they publish it to the Windows 10 store, and it becomes available on all W10 devices. The people who have a phone only in emerging markets benefit from all the apps/games/titles coming to the store because of the Xbox.. Even if they have only the one device, and never utilize the universal functionality of the title.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    05-29-2015 06:18 AM
    Right. I don't think they'll have to rely on universal apps. The devs don't care which device their app/game gets installed on, but that the customer bought their product. Like you say, some people might have a phone only, or an Xbox one only. It's just that many more potential customers. The devs should be looking at the millions of Xbox owners for their new game for example, they publish it to the Windows 10 store, and it becomes available on all W10 devices. The people who have a phone only in emerging markets benefit from all the apps/games/titles coming to the store because of the Xbox.. Even if they have only the one device, and never utilize the universal functionality of the title.
    I get the game thing but I have trouble with other apps. If I own a PC and no other Windows/Microsoft device and never use the store because I don't need it, how does that help anything?

That's my point and I'm not alone in this. There are many more PC users out there who don't use the Store, don't own a Xbox, don't own a WP.

That's not even counting the business share of the market where all those things will likely be disabled so won't and shouldn't count in any numbers.

So yes, I get the games thing. It will probably work, but is that enough?
    MSFTisMIA and Ed Boland like this.
    05-29-2015 06:30 AM
    I agree with both of you. I don't think those of us in the US are the only ones who have to deal with these types of politicians either.
    It's a global thing. Kinda like how 96% of doctors have terrible penmanship that only pharmacists can translate effectively.

But at least with the medical people we can put up with because they're making a difference. Many of these politicians need to be flung off a cliff, along with the brain dead constituents who elected them...

Posted via Xperia Z3
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    05-29-2015 07:08 AM
    Morning folks. So NJ trsnsitnos having some issues and I get to do the old grunt work commute - the PATH through the World Trade Center. On the plus side, I get to see the work that's being done on WTC.

I used to be down there a lot, butbthat cute girl who took good care of me at a Starbucks left and one of my favorite electronic retailers (J&R World) closed their physical stores.

Posted via Xperia Z3
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-29-2015 07:10 AM
    Don't look now, but I think the guy sitting to my right is gaming on an Amazon Fire Phone.

A Fire Phone in the wild? Almost as rare a sight as an honest politician...

Posted via Xperia Z3
    05-29-2015 07:11 AM
    I get the game thing but I have trouble with other apps. If I own a PC and no other Windows/Microsoft device and never use the store because I don't need it, how does that help anything?

That's my point and I'm not alone in this. There are many more PC users out there who don't use the Store, don't own a Xbox, don't own a WP.

That's not even counting the business share of the market where all those things will likely be disabled so won't and shouldn't count in any numbers.

So yes, I get the games thing. It will probably work, but is that enough?
    This is why I made the point I did earlier. MSFT cannot be going after the niche people... they have to be a force in the emerging markets and get still offer quality to the high end markets like the US and UK.

They NEED to court and openly promote indie devs like Rudy H. I would have signed agreements with the big app guys and have a few indie devs run officially supported apps. Bit as we've seen with the Pebble saga, some people don't like MSFT. They've got a lot of minds to change.

Posted via Xperia Z3
    05-29-2015 07:17 AM
    Elected judges are not much different especially in the Southern states in this country. Why this isn't fodder for the new outlets is a bit beyond my comprehension.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-29-2015 08:06 AM
142,771 ... 43364337433843394340 ...