10080 build for phones has been taken out of fast ring right? I'm getting an update notification for my 636...

I don't think it's been taken out. I think it's build 10080. What you could do is revert back to 8.1 and then tomorrow check for the update. That way you don't get build 10080 and have to revert back again to get the newer build. Also it's to be safe than sorry
    06-16-2015 10:11 AM
    I don't feel like reverting my 810 to 8.1 to get the new build. So Im ride the slow ring until they find a fix
    sent from my rare green linux 830
    06-16-2015 10:12 AM
    I don't think it's been taken out. I think it's build 10080. What you could do is revert back to 8.1 and then tomorrow check for the update. That way you don't get build 10080 and have to revert back again to get the newer build. Also it's to be safe than sorry
    I got an update for Windows Insider app.

Sent by my Honor 6
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    06-16-2015 10:12 AM
    I got an update for Windows Insider app.

Sent by my Honor 6

:o well then that's good :p get it 😁
    06-16-2015 10:23 AM
    Good morning everyone. Quite tired today, was up late last night reading a bunch of patents...
    06-16-2015 10:47 AM
    Good morning everyone. Quite tired today, was up late last night reading a bunch of patents...

Seems that it wasn't the most fun thing to do
    06-16-2015 11:28 AM
    So yesterday I decided to play around with my Meizu M1 Note and re-create the benchmarks for this device that most tech websites tend to do. Specifically like how the Ars Technica writers Ron Amadeo (Android) and Peter Bright (Windows) tend to do. I really like how they graphically present their results. After these two guys, I think number two on my list for graphical presentation would be the folks over at Anandtech, they do a very nice job as well.

The reason for running these benchmark tests was that it would be fun and also to see how a Chinese OctaCore MTK processor would stack up against other devices out there. Also if the benchmark numbers were reasonably decent then why couldn't MSFT put these MTK OctaCore processors in their low end devices so that they ran much faster (less Resuming and Loading screens) versus more expensive but slower Qualcomm 200 and 400 series processors?

I am compiling the results now and will post back in a bit.
    06-16-2015 11:30 AM
    So yesterday I decided to play around with my Meizu M1 Note and re-create the benchmarks for this device that most tech websites tend to do. Specifically like how the Ars Technica writers Ron Amadeo (Android) and Peter Bright (Windows) tend to do. I really like how they graphically present their results. After these two guys, I think number two on my list for graphical presentation would be the folks over at Anandtech, they do a very nice job as well.

The reason for running these benchmark tests was that it would be fun and also to see how a Chinese OctaCore MTK processor would stack up against other devices out there. Also if the benchmark numbers were reasonably decent then why couldn't MSFT put these MTK OctaCore processors in their low end devices so that they ran much faster (less Resuming and Loading screens) versus more expensive but slower Qualcomm 200 and 400 series processors?

I definitely am interested in seeing your results.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    06-16-2015 11:36 AM
    Reading patents is fun for the first 10 patents and then it does get pretty tiring after that....
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-16-2015 11:39 AM

That will be interesting to look at 😁
    06-16-2015 11:52 AM
    Especially when one of the patents was about Sahibism...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-16-2015 11:54 AM

MSFT probably signed a longstanding agreement with Qualcomm. Plus there were and still are some concerns about the GPUs MTK uses.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-16-2015 01:00 PM
    06-16-2015 02:02 PM
    Okay so I got done running the tests between the meetings. Here is the original Anandtech review of the Lumia 640:
    The Microsoft Lumia 640 Review

I mimicked the tests on their system performance test and ran some graphs. They are attached below. Except for WebXPRT 2013, the Meizu eats the Lumia 640's lunch without any problems. I will address the GPU stuff that MSFTisMIA brought up in a separate post.

Oh and you can compare the specs of the two devices here:
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/com...es/9140%2C9253

basemark-ii-os.jpg
    google-octane.jpg
    kraken.jpg
    webxprt-2013.jpg
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-16-2015 02:13 PM
    MSFT probably signed a longstanding agreement with Qualcomm. Plus there were and still are some concerns about the GPUs MTK uses.

The Lumia 640 XL uses a Adreno 305 but it is not specified for Lumia 640. For the sake of comparison here we will presume that the Lumia 640 also has the Adreno 305 GPU. The Meizu M1 Note uses a Mali T760 MP2 GPU. I also included the best scores in the categories where I could find head to head data. I still think that the Meizu performs quite admirably.

So my thought process is why can't MSFT make low end / mid grade devices with MTK processors and seriously throw Android under the bus?
    And then of course use the Qualcomm processor and/or Intel processors for the higher end devices?
    Attached Thumbnails gfx-bench-results.jpg  
    Last edited by worldspy99; 06-16-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-16-2015 02:38 PM
    I just checked Amazon. Based upon the comparisons of the Meizu M1 Note and the Lumia 640, there's no way I'd buy the 640, based upon the weak specs for around the same price for an unlocked dual SIM device. The Meizu M1 Note offers much more bang for the buck.

N_LaRUE and MSFTisMIA like this.
    06-16-2015 02:43 PM
    I just checked Amazon. Based upon the comparisons of the Meizu M1 Note and the Lumia 640, there's no way I'd buy the 640, based upon the weak specs for around the same price for an unlocked dual SIM device. The Meizu M1 Note offers much more bang for the buck.

I wouldn't have either. I'd have gone Chinese - Xiamoi, Meizu - or Zenfone 2 if I were looking for a dual SIM. Therr really is no good WP dual at this point. Blu is trying though...but I'm not sure their offerings are up to snuff.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-16-2015 03:36 PM
    The Lumia 640 XL uses a Adreno 305 but it is not specified for Lumia 640. For the sake of comparison here we will presume that the Lumia 640 also has the Adreno 305 GPU. The Meizu M1 Note uses a Mali T760 MP2 GPU. I also included the best scores in the categories where I could find head to head data. I still think that the Meizu performs quite admirably.

So my thought process is why can't MSFT make low end / mid grade devices with MTK processors and seriously throw Android under the bus?
    And then of course use the Qualcomm processor and/or Intel processors for the higher end devices?
    Probably due to the fact that while MSFT has relaxed their hardware requirements, they haven't abolished them. That would mean more work for MSFT to do coding and testing for to provide hardware support.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-16-2015 03:38 PM
    Probably due to the fact that while MSFT has relaxed their hardware requirements, they haven't abolished them. That would mean more work for MSFT to do coding and testing for to provide hardware support.

I've often wondered how difficult it really is to add another CPU type to an OS. With PC you generally only have two vendors. I know there are custom ones out there as well for unique computing but those are rare.

With mobile there are multiple vendors and I'm not sure how different their systems are. I know the general gist of how CPUs work but no idea how difficult it is for an OS to address them.

From a consumer position I think MS should allow as many options as possible. Though I don't know the practicalities of that option.

Just my two cents.

Ignorance, there is a cure.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-16-2015 03:53 PM
    I've often wondered how difficult it really is to add another CPU type to an OS. With PC you generally only have two vendors. I know there are custom ones out there as well for unique computing but those are rare.

With mobile there are multiple vendors and I'm not sure how different their systems are. I know the general gist of how CPUs work but no idea how difficult it is for an OS to address them.

From a consumer position I think MS should allow as many options as possible. Though I don't know the practicalities of that option.

Just my two cents.

Ignorance, there is a cure.
    I agree. Why some OEMS like Android is because if they're doing their own chips they may just only need the source code and smaller bits. While MSFT isn't charging for Windows anymore, they still haven't opened it up to customization and may not do so. That means they're on the hook for the additional hardware maintenance.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-16-2015 04:12 PM
    Nice to be off from work tomorrow. Headed to a project management training that I paid for out of pocket...

Posted via Xperia Z3
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-16-2015 05:24 PM
    I'm not a fan of iphones, but that is actually nice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Septembersrain likes this.
    06-16-2015 05:39 PM
    10136 is out...

Sent by my Honor 6
    Josiah23 and Septembersrain like this.
    06-16-2015 06:10 PM
    10136 is out...

Sent by my Honor 6
    Any new features, bug fixes, or theme changes? I'll have to wait sometime in August to get Windows 10 due to me going on a month vacation and having no computer access.

06-16-2015 06:38 PM
    Any new features, bug fixes, or theme changes? I'll have to wait sometime in August to get Windows 10 due to me going on a month vacation and having no computer access.

Still installing...

Sent by my Honor 6
    Josiah23 likes this.
    06-16-2015 06:41 PM
144,448 ... 43644365436643674368 ...