Hi all. Heat wave here in the UK 28 celsius where I am right now, which is almost unheard of. It's due to go into the thirties tomorrow!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 06:39 AM
    Hi all. Heat wave here in the UK 28 celsius where I am right now, which is almost unheard of. It's due to go into the thirties tomorrow!
    Geez! Do your best to stay cool.

Just Another (Moto X 2014) Pure (Edition) Post!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 06:49 AM
    I must say, things are quieter with 99 offline...

06-30-2015 06:50 AM
    I like how unobtrusive 5.1 is on the X. I could get used to this...although it'd be better with the Sony launcher, for my tastes at least...

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 06:51 AM
    The audio experience on the the X so far is really nice. I can see why some people would like the Nexus 6. I kinda would have gotten one, but it was too pricey as a phablet. At least when I bought the Z Ultra in that price range, I got expandable memory to go with it. I'd certainly use Android wear with that thing.

I do hope to see multi window support in stock Android. That'll be nice.

06-30-2015 06:55 AM
    I'd love to see split screen on WP. I wonder of MSFT will make a phablet. I kinda doubt it, but of they did, some version of split screen would be a massive help. I could imagine getting a unicorn 1520 again if they offered that feature for the soon to be old giant.

N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-30-2015 06:56 AM
    With religion and politics, discrimination is part and parcel of them. Regardless of the niceties that people proclaim in those areas. It has been since the beginning. When you mix the two is when things go really bad.

Science on the other hand should not be the discrimination game at all but unfortunately there are scientists who are and bias is one of the bigger issues that need combating in the industry. Science itself is not discriminatory, just the people who are in it. I think that's where things go wrong. I think there's too many people who think that one scientist speaks for all. Not to mention many people thinking a PhD = expert when it doesn't.
    Rue, I forgot I got into this pseudo discussion with a religious on Facebook whose response inspired my post. I was better off talking to a streak of ketchup. No answers for the depth of social issues I started talking about...

06-30-2015 06:59 AM
    So lately we've been slowly upgrading our things. (not electronics). This is a sure sign that we're planning on staying in the country for sometime. :P

Rather recent upgrades:

Bed - We're on our third bed. First was sold, second is in the other bedroom
    Dining table - First was sold, second still being used
    Mugs - Got rid of the cheap ones and brought the fancy ones we had from Finland over. Cheap ones went to charity.
    Car - On our second. Now driving a BMW... I feel so British! :P
    Glasses - Just starting to upgrade. First batch of better ones bought (Finnish brand). Old ones to go to charity or if someone else wants them.
    Frying pans - The cheap ones we have are on their last legs and just bought some nicer ones (Le Creuset). It's amazing the difference in quality. I'll never buy cheap again.

Of course, our next biggerst upgrade will be our own place. :)
    Nice!

I'm slowly doing a process of changing out stuff in my apartment. The exercise machine is gone and next up will be the bedroom furniture...

Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 07:04 AM
    It's 29C here heading to 31C tomorrow. It's hot out there!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 07:33 AM
    Rue, I forgot I got into this pseudo discussion with a religious on Facebook whose response inspired my post. I was better off talking to a streak of ketchup. No answers for the depth of social issues I started talking about...

I've had similar discussions....

What's interesting is that I walk to the train with a lady from work. She's Catholic and isn't keen on the whole gay marriage thing (surprise!). Funny thing is she keeps focusing on the gay men and seems to miss the fact there are gay women (like most people). The other thing is that people keep focusing on the 'church' aspect (who really cares???) of the discussion and completely miss the legal aspects. Which is the important part. I don't think most gay people really care (I know there are some for whatever reason) if they can marry in a church so much as having a legally recognized relationship.

Anyway, wasn't much of discussion as she tends to be stubborn about her opinions. I tend to be blunt with her as that seems to be the only way to shake her. However, doesn't really work that well. She's sort of 'stuck' in her ways. She seems so much older than me but turns out she's around my age. Which is odd feeling.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 08:00 AM
    I've had similar discussions....

What's interesting is that I walk to the train with a lady from work. She's Catholic and isn't keen on the whole gay marriage thing (surprise!). Funny thing is she keeps focusing on the gay men and seems to miss the fact there are gay women (like most people). The other thing is that people keep focusing on the 'church' aspect (who really cares???) of the discussion and completely miss the legal aspects. Which is the important part. I don't think most gay people really care (I know there are some for whatever reason) if they can marry in a church so much as having a legally recognized relationship.

Anyway, wasn't much of discussion as she tends to be stubborn about her opinions. I tend to be blunt with her as that seems to be the only way to shake her. However, doesn't really work that well. She's sort of 'stuck' in her ways. She seems so much older than me but turns out she's around my age. Which is odd feeling.
    Sometimes you've got to leave them alone. I woke to seeing that there may be a pride parade in my home country this summer. I was like "Wow!". Then I got concerned with whether or not they can protect the organizers and participants, because my home country is still in the top 20 of most homophobic places to live on Earth (when I lasted looked at the list a while back)...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    06-30-2015 08:13 AM
    I can't believe how Microsoft break things in newer builds. WiFi is broken on my Surface Pro on build 10158. Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 08:16 AM
    Sometimes you've got to leave them alone. I woke to seeing that there may be a pride parade in my home country this summer. I was like "Wow!". Then I got concerned with whether or not they can protect the organizers and participants, because my home country is still in the top 20 of most homophobic places to live on Earth (when I lasted looked at the list a while back)...

I'm guessing Russia is sitting at number one or is some middle east country beating it?

The whole homophobic thing boils down to (especially when it's gay men) 'being a man' and with gay women, doing the 'right' thing.

Stupid arguments all around.

As with the lady, I know there's little chance to change her which is why I tried to avoid the discussion when it came up before but yesterday she was talking with this other lady and both seemed completely immune to the reasons behind the gay marriage thing. I felt I needed to educate them. She threw the 'well the bible says' argument at me and I said 'screw the bible'. :P Terrible I know.
    06-30-2015 08:19 AM
    Another hot day in Cali right now its 24c and reach 40c in the afternoon. Yikes
    sent from my rare linux green 830
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 10:31 AM
    I can't believe how Microsoft break things in newer builds. WiFi is broken on my Surface Pro on build 10158. Damn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least the update didn't brick your device ;p
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 10:32 AM
    Another hot day in Cali right now its 24c and reach 40c in the afternoon. Yikes
    sent from my rare linux green 830
    Been there. Done that. :P

It's almost 30C here now. This country isn't really set up for this kind of heat either.
    sahib lopez and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-30-2015 10:36 AM
    Been there. Done that. :P

It's almost 30C here now. This country isn't really set up for this kind of heat either.
    lol it must not the best experience in the world :p i just feel bad for the people working outside today and tomoorow
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2015 11:26 AM
    I'm guessing Russia is sitting at number one or is some middle east country beating it?

The whole homophobic thing boils down to (especially when it's gay men) 'being a man' and with gay women, doing the 'right' thing.

Stupid arguments all around.

As with the lady, I know there's little chance to change her which is why I tried to avoid the discussion when it came up before but yesterday she was talking with this other lady and both seemed completely immune to the reasons behind the gay marriage thing. I felt I needed to educate them. She threw the 'well the bible says' argument at me and I said 'screw the bible'. :P Terrible I know.
    I've been fortunate enough to have intelligent conversations with religious types about topics like these.

Then you get the morons who repeat the dogma and not use their brains. Those people annoy me.

Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-30-2015 11:42 AM
    So my two returns are in. Just waiting for Amazon to send the $ back.

Now i just need Comcast to not be a ****** and I'm all set...

06-30-2015 01:04 PM
    I've been fortunate enough to have intelligent conversations with religious types about topics like these.

Then you get the morons who repeat the dogma and not use their brains. Those people annoy me.

Oh, I've had intelligent conversations with religious people as well. They're just ordinary people at the end of the day. But there's always that sticking point eventually... Never fails.

I have no qualms with religious people at all. I'm more than happy for them as grown adults to pursue their 'fun' however they see fit. It's only when their dogma tries to dictate other's lives, including mine, that there's a problem.

I could say more but I don't want to get censored.

Ignorance, there is a cure.
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    06-30-2015 01:12 PM
    Oh, I've had intelligent conversations with religious people as well. They're just ordinary people at the end of the day. But there's always that sticking point eventually... Never fails.

I have no qualms with religious people at all. I'm more than happy for them as grown adults to pursue their 'fun' however they see fit. It's only when their dogma tries to dictate other's lives, including mine, that there's a problem.

I could say more but I don't want to get censored.

Ignorance, there is a cure.
    The whole issue of marriage is probably better in the UK (and in much of Europe) than in the US.

I know that the civil marriage is what counts as legal in many countries, and couples first get married civilly (then have a religious ceremony if they so choose). Even William and Kate had a civil wedding prior to the Royal wedding.

France is the same. They're divorced now, but Tony Parker and Eva Longoria had a civil wedding prior to their Catholic church wedding.

The difference is in the US, couples do not need a civil wedding prior to a religious wedding. Clergy are permitted to conduct weddings that are considered valid civilly. I think there would be fewer issues if everyone had to get a civil wedding, and religious people then had the option of having a religious ceremony at the house of worship of their choosing.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-30-2015 01:43 PM
    The whole issue of marriage is probably better in the UK (and in much of Europe) than in the US.

I know that the civil marriage is what counts as legal in many countries, and couples first get married civilly (then have a religious ceremony if they so choose). Even William and Kate had a civil wedding prior to the Royal wedding.

France is the same. They're divorced now, but Tony Parker and Eva Longoria had a civil wedding prior to their Catholic church wedding.

The difference is in the US, couples do not need a civil wedding prior to a religious wedding. Clergy are permitted to conduct weddings that are considered valid civilly. I think there would be fewer issues if everyone had to get a civil wedding, and religious people then had the option of having a religious ceremony at the house of worship of their choosing.
    Laura, at the end of the day though...especially here in the US it isn't about the ceremony itself of marriage. It really is about the huge benefits economically and socially that come with marriage. Economically two people in marriage have more chances of leveraging some of the tax breaks in the US. You can leverage insurance, pensions, buying a home, car, paying for school, adoption, etc much better being married than single.

I can talk of a story of a former county cop in NJ who was diagnosed with terminal cancer whose long time female partner was not eligible for the trooper's benefits due to their lesbian relationship. It was after years of advocacy and almost at the trooper's deathbed did the politicians allow for the union to be recognized and the trooper's benefits be passed along to the female partner.

Some states don't allow for adoption by LGBTQ couples...even though large percentage of the kids that need to be adopted are...LGBTQ. Even in a homophobic society as the one I was raised in, married people are still viewed on a slightly higher plane, especially in certain age groups.

These are the things the homophobic Christian young lady and I were discussing on my Facebook yesterday, or actually I was reminding her of these and she was too busy talking about deflectionary tactics such as the definition of !marriage and how the ruling "spat on God's face" to pay attention.

Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    06-30-2015 02:01 PM
    Laura, at the end of the day though...especially here in the US it isn't about the ceremony itself of marriage. It really is about the huge benefits economically and socially that come with marriage. Economically two people in marriage have more chances of leveraging some of the tax breaks in the US. You can leverage insurance, pensions, buying a home, car, paying for school, adoption, etc much better being married than single.

I can talk of a story of a former county cop in NJ who was diagnosed with terminal cancer whose long time female partner was not eligible for the trooper's benefits due to their lesbian relationship. It was after years of advocacy and almost at the trooper's deathbed did the politicians allow for the union to be recognized and the trooper's benefits be passed along to the female partner.

Some states don't allow for adoption by LGBTQ couples...even though large percentage of the kids that need to be adopted are...LGBTQ. Even in a homophobic society as the one I was raised in, married people are still viewed on a slightly higher plane, especially in certain age groups.

These are the things the homophobic Christian young lady and I were discussing on my Facebook yesterday, or actually I was reminding her of these and she was too busy talking about deflectionary tactics such as the definition of !marriage and how the ruling "spat on God's face" to pay attention.

I agree. I guess what I was trying to say is that marriage has more connection with religion in the US than in many European countries, since clergy are able to conduct legal marriages in the US.

By removing the legal aspect of marriage from clergy and having everyone who wishes to marry go through the civil procedure, that separates church and state even more.
    N_LaRUE and MSFTisMIA like this.
    06-30-2015 02:19 PM

You are correct with the civil ceremony being first and the religious one being second, if you want it.

I also agree that I think things would be better in the US if people saw the legal aspect of it first and the religious side second. However, I agree with MIA that many religious people target what's 'right' in god's words and the marriage is spiritual rather than legal. That's where things go wrong of course. Then the idea that it's not 'natural' which is another major fallacy of course. There's tonnes of studies that show there's lots of homosexual acts in 'nature'.

Canada is similar to the US I should point out. Except we're more liberal. :P
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    06-30-2015 02:38 PM
    You are correct with the civil ceremony being first and the religious one being second, if you want it.

I also agree that I think things would be better in the US if people saw the legal aspect of it first and the religious side second. However, I agree with MIA that many religious people target what's 'right' in god's words and the marriage is spiritual rather than legal. That's where things go wrong of course. Then the idea that it's not 'natural' which is another major fallacy of course. There's tonnes of studies that show there's lots of homosexual acts in 'nature'.

Canada is similar to the US I should point out. Except we're more liberal.
    Replace "marriage" with "slavery", and 2015 with 1815, and similar debates existed amongst religions and political parties.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    06-30-2015 03:09 PM
142,733 ... 43934394439543964397 ...