My car was rammed by a cab, the cost is total repair cost including a new door. It's covered by insurance so it's all good.

Posted via Tapatalk Classic on my 636 build 10166
    Laura Knotek and Sport Driver like this.
    07-22-2015 02:58 AM
    My car was rammed by a cab, the cost is total repair cost including a new door. It's covered by insurance so it's all good.

That's great to hear!
    azcruz likes this.
    07-22-2015 03:00 AM
    I hope you get everything sorted with your car also.
    Sigh...

Shall I list?

• Fixed oil leaks (paid by us)
    • replaced vacuum pump (partially covered by warranty)
    • now replacing crank case valve (paid by us)
    • need to replace the FRM module (controls lights, windows and some other things) trying to get warranty to pay for some of it
    • we think we might have gotten bumped by 4X4 in a parking garage as our front bumper is a bit messed up. Needs replacing.

We were going to a mechanic for the first bit but still suffered blue smoke coming out of the exhaust so took it to BMW instead.

The bumper is not a big deal but it's not cheap. We'll get that sorted along with some other minor body work at the same time.

So, it's been fun.
    Laura Knotek, azcruz and Ed Boland like this.
    07-22-2015 03:15 AM
    Sigh...

Shall I list?

• need to replace the FRM module (controls lights, windows and some other things) trying to get warranty to pay for some of it
    • we think we might have gotten bumped by 4X4 in a parking garage as our front bumper is a bit messed up. Needs replacing.

We were going to a mechanic for the first bit but still suffered blue smoke coming out of the exhaust so took it to BMW instead.

The bumper is not a big deal but it's not cheap. We'll get that sorted along with some other minor body work at the same time.

So, it's been fun.

That's certainly not fun.
    07-22-2015 03:23 AM
    That's certainly not fun.
    The worst part was not being able to drive anywhere because we kept losing oil. Or driving somewhere and worrying about the oil. Either or.

I'm hoping this is the end of the oil troubles.
    Laura Knotek and Ed Boland like this.
    07-22-2015 03:31 AM
    The worst part was not being able to drive anywhere because we kept losing oil. Or driving somewhere and worrying about the oil. Either or.

I'm hoping this is the end of the oil troubles.

Oil leak problem is not fun...
    07-22-2015 03:32 AM
    Oil leak problem is not fun...
    Burning oil is worse! Puffing out blue smoke clouds out the exhaust is slightly embarrassing. Also burning or having it run through the exhaust system is stressful because if you don't have oil with you, you get a warning and then you're looking for the nearest petrol station hoping they have the oil you need!
    07-22-2015 03:35 AM
    I think this is the last thing that needs fixing but I could be wrong...
    07-22-2015 03:36 AM
    I hope the problems get sorted out soon...
    07-22-2015 03:37 AM
    Burning oil is worse! Puffing out blue smoke clouds out the exhaust is slightly embarrassing. Also burning or having it run through the exhaust system is stressful because if you don't have oil with you, you get a warning and then you're looking for the nearest petrol station hoping they have the oil you need!
    I think this is the last thing that needs fixing but I could be wrong...
    I hope so! Burning oil tends to be a sure sign that the engine is on its way out. I hope that problem has been sorted.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    07-22-2015 03:40 AM
    I hope so! Burning oil tends to be a sure sign that the engine is on its way out. I hope that problem has been sorted.
    I've done quite a bit of research on this issue. Yes the oil leaks were definitely a problem but the part that's getting replaced now by BMW is supposedly a 'usual' suspect for smoke coming out of the exhaust and loss of oil.
    07-22-2015 03:47 AM
    I agree! Cars are such a pain sometimes.
    You can say that again!
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-22-2015 05:57 AM
    Yup, on a piston engine it's a sign that the piston rings are leaking oil into the combustion chamber.

But check this out: on a rotary engine, like the one in my Mazda RX8, burning oil is normal. It's designed to burn oil from the factory. In other words, a brand new rotary engine car burns oil right off the showroom floor by design. I usually burn through a quart of oil a month.. Fun Fun!
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    07-22-2015 06:07 AM
    Yup, on a piston engine it's a sign that the piston rings are leaking oil into the combustion chamber.

But check this out: on a rotary engine, like the one in my Mazda RX8, burning oil is normal. It's designed to burn oil from the factory. In other words, a brand new rotary engine car burns oil right off the showroom floor by design. I usually burn through a quart of oil a month.. Fun Fun!
    True. I read about both of those. We were considering a RX8 at one point.

In this case the puff a smoke would only come out after the car was idle for a period of time. This is an indication that the crankcase valve (CCV) system is faulty. BMW did a proper diagnosis on it and there are many forums indicating the same thing so I'm inclined to agree with them. As long as it's fixed I'm happy.
    Ed Boland and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-22-2015 06:10 AM
    Morning folks. I'm offline most of the day. Got some follow-ups with patients, potentially a student shadowing me and a group from a community partner coming in for a tour of the work site.

Posted via Xperia Z3
    07-22-2015 06:27 AM
    The problem with a new car (used) is that you can never guarantee how good or bad the previous owner has treated the car.
    07-22-2015 06:33 AM
    Getting ready to head off to work myself... Y'all have a good one!
    worldspy99 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-22-2015 06:49 AM
    Sigh...

Shall I list?

So, it's been fun.
    Does it remind you of your Lumia 920?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-2015 08:42 AM
    I've come to determine the that comments in the articles section has turned completely nasty.

Don't know why I bother reading them sometimes. o.O
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-2015 08:42 AM
    Does it remind you of your Lumia 920?
    At least I can fix the car....
    Laura Knotek and azcruz like this.
    07-22-2015 08:43 AM
    The problem with a new car (used) is that you can never guarantee how good or bad the previous owner has treated the car.
    Exactly! IMO most owners of cars treat them worse than their cellphones! Even certified ones with warranty seem to have weird gremlins.
    07-22-2015 08:45 AM
    I've come to determine the that comments in the articles section has turned completely nasty.

Don't know why I bother reading them sometimes. o.O
    I see a lot of folks are more active in the comments section of the main site versus the forums. I guess they have figured out that they can't be banned over there.

The Verge actually moderated the comments and have for now done away with the Comments section altogether.
    07-22-2015 08:47 AM
    At least I can fix the car....
    You can always perform a perfectly executed drop test on the Lumia.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-2015 08:47 AM
    My car needs a new dash, Toyota has a recall on it and a new drive axle for the boots and an alignment. Otherwise things are okay...
    07-22-2015 08:49 AM
    You can always perform a perfectly executed drop test on the Lumia.
    The L920 is fine for the moment. It's doing it's job of backup just fine.

The company that's fixing my Z3 appears to be having a supplier issue so my phone is still not fixed.

I heard that Sony has started releasing 5.1 which has some improvements. So I wait..
    worldspy99 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-22-2015 09:07 AM
142,785 ... 44444445444644474448 ...