For the prices they're charging? That has to work flawlessly out of the box or else it's a gimmick, plain and simple.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx
    There was no mention about the price of those bricks and the reason I personally wanted the 950 at $449. If the brick is $100..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 08:51 AM
    There was no mention about the price of those bricks and the reason I personally wanted the 950 at $449. If the brick is $100..

I'm not holding out hope for the accessories to be reasonably priced either.

They really should have gone for 950 - $449, XL - $549. I'll bet any money that the AT&T variants are gonna be harder to unlock than the secrets to making the Tea Party become realistic.

They struck out big time with pricing and availability. I like the idea of Continuum, but without some of the popular social/social media apps, it makes it less appealing. $250 is a decent price for the Band 2, but if they started out at $200, that would be eye popping.

It's sad because for me I'm at a point where I could still use WP as a daily driver if it delivered on the good camera, good battery life and useful wearable. Hardware wise, I like what MSFT is doing. Their pricing is a big time turn off. Why I still use Android is that even though I don't use a ton of G. Apps, I have the convenience to find some apps on my phone if I need to in a pinch I cannot do as easily as I would on WP.

My Moto Maxx is very agnostic...Opera is my default browser. Arrow is my launcher. Outlook email + calendar are my default for email and calendar. shuttle is my default music app. Amazon is my primary purchasing app. I use a AOSP messing app as my message app. MSFT Word handles my office files. I flip flop between Opera and Chrome for browsing, Here and G Maps for navigation, and G Now and Cortana for web searches.

I don't know...I like how 10 looks on a desktop...and that's about it. I preferred 8.1 for tablets and WP for phones. Synergy is nice and all, but I'm too platform agnostic.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 09:45 AM
    No phone on the market is 'waterproof' and I believe the IP regulators complained quite a bit about the fact that these companies have been using that term incorrectly when discussing IP ratings.

IP68 does not equal waterproof. It means the device can survive being submersed in water with no ingress for a period of time and depth according to the manufactures specification. This is not waterproof, it means it's protected against such an instance.

IP68 the specification states that the maximum depth is typically 3m and for 1 hour. However, the manufacture can specify otherwise.

In the case of the Z3, Sony specifies 1.5m for 30 mins in fresh water so long as all the flaps are sealed correctly.

Personally I have a hard time believing that the companies that check IP specifications let such a shoddy design through with those flaps but I guess $$$ means a lot.

The Z5 appears to be better but I'm still not fond of the flap for the SD card and SIM.

For me, for a phone to be fully waterproof would mean being able to use it any time I wish in any type of water without consequences. Of course there will still be a depth consideration but it would be at least 3m.

I'm positive it will happen one day but whether the phone will be sleek looking is another story.
    And that is why ugly case makers are making a killing, Lifeproof anyone?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 09:47 AM
    I find the Wiki article the most useful personally - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Since I work in an industry where IP ratings are part of my job I'm a bit more familiar with them than the typical smartphone user.

Unfortunately this can confuse people who are not familiar with the tests involved or what IP is all about.

Simply put, IP is an enclosure that protects 'equipment' in certain environmental conditions. It also provides protection for individuals who work with this equipment.

As an example, in the electrical industry this could mean not being able to touch live equipment at dangerous voltages and protected against some water dripping. IP22, for example, would cover this.
    I have actually gotten a device through the IP rating tests and is currently on the market
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    10-07-2015 09:49 AM
    Problem is, this isn't marketed correctly when it comes to smartphones. I like the water resistance that Sony offers. I can use it in the rain, have water spill on it or potentially drop it in a toilet and have it survive unharmed. I don't need it to go swimming.

More than likely it will sink not swim even if it is completely waterproof.
    10-07-2015 09:50 AM
    The selling factor of the 950 to me are Continuum and Windows Hello. But in reality, seeing it up is pretty expensive and looks like it's not gonna play with what I have, that is, folding keyboard and surface arc mouse because they're Bluetooth based and that little brick needed for Continuum expects USB.

Might be that BT peripherals will work, just need the cable and dock to attach to the monitor.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 09:51 AM
    And this is why you read the fine print and do your due diligence...
    Apples real cash pile is 99% smaller than you think

http://flip.it/useH5
    Laura Knotek and azcruz like this.
    10-07-2015 10:27 AM
    And this is why you read the fine print and do your due diligence...
    Apple’s real cash pile is 99% smaller than you think

Apple?s real cash pile is 99% smaller than you think - MarketWatch
    I'm pretty sure there's many people who won't believe that report and many more who will keep believing in Apple as the best.
    10-07-2015 10:52 AM
    I have actually gotten a device through the IP rating tests and is currently on the market
    Fun isn't it? I originally dealt with NEMA and did some IP but ever since I left North America, NEMA is like a bad dream. :P
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 10:55 AM
    Fun isn't it? I originally dealt with NEMA and did some IP but ever since I left North America, NEMA is like a bad dream.
    Wasn't that bad. We dealt with UL and they were quite professional on their dealings.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 10:59 AM
    As I have said before every now and then The Verge publishes something quite decent. Here is an excellent example.
    Sound Decision | The Verge
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 12:16 PM
    Windows 10 mobile stable release .. Tooooo late ..:(
    10-07-2015 02:29 PM
    Might be that BT peripherals will work, just need the cable and dock to attach to the monitor.
    See the best demo of Continuum for phones so far (video) - WMPoweruser
    You might still be able to use your BT peripherals...
    10-07-2015 02:34 PM
    Allegedly the 950 will be sold unlocked in the USA but when is anyone's guess...
    Well at least the xl isn't tied to AT&T :) that's something

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830
    10-07-2015 04:04 PM
    Finally!
    uploadfromtaptalk1444250370317.png

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    10-07-2015 04:39 PM
    Finally!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1444250370317.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	113810

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    About darn time!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 04:59 PM
    Running Android Marshmallow 6.0 on my Nexus 5:-) Got my OTA update a couple of hours ago...
    Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1444247392466.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1444253565869.jpg  
    Laura Knotek, azcruz and MSFTisMIA like this.
    10-07-2015 05:59 PM
    That would be best for my case.

Sent from my H60-L04 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and worldspy99 like this.
    10-07-2015 06:09 PM
    This is specifically for MSFTisMIA:
    For anyone considering the Z5 series, 3G/HSPA+ AWS (1700/2100MHz) is NOT supported on any international model for use on T-Mobile. LTE on AWS is supported, and so is PCS (1900MHz) refarmed spectrum on 3G/HSPA+. If you don't get good LTE from T-Mobile or live in a refarmed area, you're not going to get 3G on any international Z5. This is in contrast to every other Z series device which did support that band.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 06:30 PM
    This is specifically for MSFTisMIA:
    For anyone considering the Z5 series, 3G/HSPA+ AWS (1700/2100MHz) is NOT supported on any international model for use on T-Mobile. LTE on AWS is supported, and so is PCS (1900MHz) refarmed spectrum on 3G/HSPA+. If you don't get good LTE from T-Mobile or live in a refarmed area, you're not going to get 3G on any international Z5. This is in contrast to every other Z series device which did support that band.
    That's because T-Mobile is pushing their Band 12 support for their own devices, among other things. I was already going to pass on the Z5, and this makes it easier.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 06:38 PM
    Running Android Marshmallow 6.0 on my Nexus 5:-) Got my OTA update a couple of hours ago...
    Mini-review! Mini-review!

sahib lopez and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-07-2015 06:39 PM
    So work was a zoo. New coworker is still not following instructions. Sigh. I've given up on that ship weeks ago, so no surprises there...

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 06:40 PM
    Mini-review! Mini-review!

Just turned on On Tap, will post my impressions in a day or two.
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-07-2015 06:41 PM
    Looks like Kaz may pull Sony out of the smartphone business, rumor has it, if they flop in 2016.

I'd comment on that, but avid readers of the thread know my stance already...

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 06:44 PM
    Just turned on On Tap, will post my impressions in a day or two.
    Don't worry, you and Laura have the two most anticipated mini-reviews upcoming...

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-07-2015 06:45 PM
145,721 ... 45644565456645674568 ...