I personally think the best thing to happen to the smartphone market in the US will be the ability to loan/lease phones and use them on any network that suits you. This whole idea of limiting phones makes little sense and removes consumer choice. Of course the carriers don't see it that way... They seem to want to control everything instead of doing what they should be doing, providing a service.

No idea when or if this will ever happen but we can only hope one day.

I can only assume the issues Sony has with US carriers is based on the carrier's demands. So Sony chooses not to bother. This is the sad reality of the US market. The limitations that carriers place on OEMs is what destroying the market. Consumers are the only ones that can change things but that's unlikely to happen.
    I didn't lease my latest device. I bought it outright without any financing from Lenovo. The nice thing is that I have the ability to dump my carrier at any time if they give me a reason to do so.

I have no idea why Europe and Asia have such better situations with carriers than the US and Canada.

The Canadian carrier situation is even worse. They only got rid of the 3-year contracts a couple years ago. At least the US carriers only have/had 2-year contracts.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk
    10-20-2015 02:14 AM
    I didn't lease my latest device. I bought it outright without any financing from Lenovo. The nice thing is that I have the ability to dump my carrier at any time if they give me a reason to do so.

I have no idea why Europe and Asia have such better situations with carriers than the US and Canada.

The Canadian carrier situation is even worse. They only got rid of the 3-year contracts a couple years ago. At least the US carriers only have/had 2-year contracts.

Since I don't know the history I can only assume that here in the EU it has come down to regulations put out by the EU for mobile carriers. That's why we don't have a Verizon type carrier here in the EU as far as I know.

You can still get phones on contract here. We still have carrier locked phones. We still have exclusives. However, any phone, so long as it's unlocked will work on any carrier.

For consumers this is great and it's up the carrier to be a real choice based on their service. Which is the way it should be.

Canada's issue is the carriers they have and the fact the market is so small. Being next to the US doesn't help that in any way. It's been an issue in Canada for some time with regards to mobile, internet and TV. There's really a duopoly there and the ones in charge simply don't care.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 10-20-2015 at 02:47 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2015 02:37 AM
    Good morning everyone!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2015 07:17 AM
    Morning folks.

The thing that Sony has run into was that during the early days, they were selling some bad phones after they ditched Ericsson. Even then you saw the DNA emerge of good design but some weird choices to compromise on. The Xperia Ion was a bad phone. AT&T, to their credit, used to offer 1 -2 Sony phones pre the Z line. But they were underpowered and overpriced and high maintenance and didn't sell well.

The Z line has been the first cohesive high end high Sony has had with some kind of success. The problem is that while Sonybhas stayed ahead of the curve design wise, with such a short product cycle they cannot realistically build a new phone with design changes in 6 months.

I hope the Z5 is the last of this current design. Even if they keep the components of water resistance, glass and metal, something different is indeed.

LG & HTC get away with things in the US more than Sony because both companies, especially HTC, have had long existing positive relationships with the carriers. Remember, T-Mobile has carried every major HTC Windows device since the HD2 (HD2, HD7, 8X, One M8, and the best midrange of WP7 - the Radar). Moto too because of their Droid line with Verizon allowed them to launch the X 2014 and the Pure 2015 have VZW approved radios. VZW is still being a *** by not adding support for unlocked phones - see MSFT'S issues with the 950 and 950 XL.

If I were in charge at Sony, I'd have 4 lines of devices:

The M line for mid-range (5.2"screen, MediaTek chip, 16 GB internal, 3GB RAM),

a big screen mid-range C line (6" screen, MediaTek chip, 16GB internal 2 GB RAM)

a Z Compact line at 4.6" 1080P screen, Qualcomm chip, 32GB internal + 3GB RAM.

a flagship Z line at 5.5" with a Qualcomm chip, 32GB + 4GB RAM and 4K screen.

I'd add two tablets - a 12" and a 8". Add improved multitasking here - make the Small Apps much, much better. "Waterproofing" for all models. 32GB minimum internal here.

Oh and 1 Android Wear and one smartband annually too. These can be launched in the summer between the two big launches. Or make the headliners the Z line still and launch the C line with the smartband and the M line with the Android Wear as soft annual launches just to give the appearance you're launching new products quarterly.

Launch the flagship Z, M and Z Tablet in March and the Z Compact, C line and Z 8" tab in September. Or flip the order because the Z Compact is good enough to hold up against the big boys in the spring if priced appropriately. Use the Compact line to experiment with a few features and Z flagship proper to have the refined version.

Price the ****s well enough to sell. Do one camera update annually. Have 2 variants - a EU and Asia model and a North American model with all the carrier bands. No more cheap models...make the C line the cheapest phone.

C line - $275 range
    M line - $350 range
    Z Compact line - $475
    Z proper - $600
    Z Tablet Compact - $450
    Z Tablet - $650
    Android Wear base model - $250
    Smartband -$100

Posted approved via Moto Maxx
    10-20-2015 07:36 AM
    Who knew that buying a house would be so painful. What a roller coaster ride.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2015 11:09 AM

Is that the reveal you were promising us?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2015 11:28 AM

Done it twice and have refinanced loans about 5 times, it is a PITA!
    MSFTisMIA and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-20-2015 11:28 AM
    Is that the reveal you were promising us?
    Could be.

sahib lopez likes this.
    10-20-2015 11:31 AM
    So, yes, buying a house was the big reveal. It's been very stressful for various reasons and we just agreed to the sale today after lots of back and fourth.

So we're moving a bit further away from London but still reasonably close. But we're going to be near the coast now. :)

So it's all good. Lots of work ahead.

Ignorance, there is a cure.
    10-20-2015 11:56 AM
    Watching some big planes taking off at Chicago O'Hare airport.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2015 03:41 PM
    So, yes, buying a house was the big reveal. It's been very stressful for various reasons and we just agreed to the sale today after lots of back and fourth.

So we're moving a bit further away from London but still reasonably close. But we're going to be near the coast now. :)

Good news!
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    10-20-2015 04:24 PM
    buying a house... well, my developer screwed me. i think i will share your pain RUE...
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    10-20-2015 06:59 PM
    it's discrete GPU, not discreet GPU. my golly... these windows central articles!
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    10-20-2015 07:35 PM
    it's discrete GPU, not discreet GPU. my golly... these windows central articles!
    Welcome to the US of A. Spelling optional.

Laura Knotek, azcruz and N_LaRUE like this.
    10-20-2015 07:42 PM
    Today was a ****ty commuting day for sure...

N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-20-2015 08:36 PM
    There is a herb and vegetable garden in the Chicago airport! Pretty cool I think.
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20151020_14_46_23_pro.jpg  
    10-20-2015 09:48 PM
    Some pics from the wait at O'Hare airport today. If you zoom in on the second picture you can see a Cathay Pacific 747 taking off.
    uploadfromtaptalk1445396961173.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445396991952.jpg
    10-20-2015 10:10 PM
    I have always wanted to fly this plane, maybe next year. Here is a Hainan Airlines Boeing 787 Dreamliner taking off.
    uploadfromtaptalk1445397137590.jpg
    Laura Knotek, N_LaRUE and azcruz like this.
    10-20-2015 10:12 PM
    99, your pictures look decent. What phone are you using to take them?

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2015 11:02 PM

Thanks. You will not believe it but they are taken on a Nexus 5 or Lumia 640.
    10-20-2015 11:11 PM

Moto X test drive coming up next week.
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    10-20-2015 11:14 PM
    I got a new t-shirt today. I want the toy that's pictured on it.

10-20-2015 11:17 PM
    Moto X test drive coming up next week.
    I'll have my review done this weekend. Last week was really busy for me.

worldspy99, N_LaRUE and MSFTisMIA like this.
    10-20-2015 11:18 PM
    I got a new t-shirt today. I want the toy that's pictured on it.
    https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10...66a702410a.jpg

Brookstone has it. I saw it at their store in Chicago airport.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2015 11:34 PM

Congratulations on the new house!

When will you be moving into it?

10-20-2015 11:58 PM
143,656 ... 45814582458345844585 ...