WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Well I had a frank discussion with my boss this morning, telling him I'm not here to do admin work forever and I'm here to design. He said I'm free to take on design jobs when I can but that he doesn't just want me to become a fully fledged designer here and when I leave have a hard time getting a job.

Do I'm left wondering if I need to get a degree out whether 8 treats hands on experience speaks for itself...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So every once in a while these horoscope things may get something right.

The picture is the key chain for my house keys. I agree with the stuff in the personality section - but Monday as a lucky day? 1,5,7 as lucky numbers? They're high as Sahib on taco bell girl...

Posted Approved 1+1 Style!

Attachments

• 23369.jpg
    23369.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 23371.jpg
    23371.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 9

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well I had a frank discussion with my boss this morning, telling him I'm not here to do admin work forever and I'm here to design. He said I'm free to take on design jobs when I can but that he doesn't just want me to become a fully fledged designer here and when I leave have a hard time getting a job.

Do I'm left wondering if I need to get a degree out whether 8 treats hands on experience speaks for itself...

That's why I am back in school getting a Masters. These days many people don't recognize the experience as much without the degree. Now, not everyone needs a degree in every profession for success, but the question you ask is being asked by many a folk in this wasteland of a global economy.

My current supervisor and I are the same age, similar enough experience levels and even the same small license (I didn't officially applied for mine). The difference is that even though I could probably do her job - especially with my length of experience in the clinic vastly outweighs hers - she has a masters, I have a bachelors.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Here's an article that kinda plays to my earlier point:

www.washingtonpost.com/sf/business/2014/12/14/the-devalued-american-worker/?tid=HP_more

Not saying it is as simple as this, but I'm sure many people in many countries can relate to much of the sentiment expressed.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Here's an article that kinda plays to my earlier point:

As workers are devalued, many need multiple jobs to make a middle-class wage | The Washington Post

Not saying it is as simple as this, but I'm sure many people in many countries can relate to much of the sentiment expressed.

There's been a wage decline in the UK and apparently we're just hitting the levels in some areas (note some) back to pre 2007 levels. Affordability and wages are not aligned here. In Australia I know that the contracting wages have dropped significantly but I'm unsure about standard wages.

No idea about Canada.

As for degrees. One of the bigger issues lots of people are having currently is graduating with some degree and no positions being available. The other one I've run across in my field is recent grads being hired thinking their going to be 'managing' someone. Not realising that their at the bottom of the heap. :p Not sure what these colleges are putting in their heads lately.

Whether someone needs a degree or not depends on many things. A lot is placed on education these days, not that I'm against that, but is it really necessary for all jobs? Is a degree really necessary to make it in the design field that Muessig is in for example? I think if he wanted to run a business or have a good business mindset then yes it's worth it. But I think it isn't going to help his creativity that much unless he went to a well recognised school. What's the point of getting a degree for the heck of it? Get a good portfolio of work and people will seek you out or take risks, like moving to an area where there's more opportunity.

Here in the UK we also have the class issue which is a whole other problem in itself.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I guess when I should be thinking the obvious I don't think of it

You lack focus and being in the moment. Two things that we've all pointed out.

I'll say it again. If you really want to be with someone they need to be your priority. You can't just be flippant about it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There's been a wage decline in the UK and apparently we're just hitting the levels in some areas (note some) back to pre 2007 levels. Affordability and wages are not aligned here. In Australia I know that the contracting wages have dropped significantly but I'm unsure about standard wages.

No idea about Canada.

As for degrees. One of the bigger issues lots of people are having currently is graduating with some degree and no positions being available. The other one I've run across in my field is recent grads being hired thinking their going to be 'managing' someone. Not realising that their at the bottom of the heap. :p Not sure what these colleges are putting in their heads lately.

Whether someone needs a degree or not depends on many things. A lot is placed on education these days, not that I'm against that, but is it really necessary for all jobs? Is a degree really necessary to make it in the design field that Muessig is in for example? I think if he wanted to run a business or have a good business mindset then yes it's worth it. But I think it isn't going to help his creativity that much unless he went to a well recognised school. What's the point of getting a degree for the heck of it? Get a good portfolio of work and people will seek you out or take risks, like moving to an area where there's more opportunity.

Here in the UK we also have the class issue which is a whole other problem in itself.

To me, with how things are going, a degree is always a plus to have. What's best is a mix of appropriate experience and a degree. Muessig may not need one because it may not enhance his natural talent and experience as much, but truth be told, traditional employment structures are weakening and perhaps more micro entrepreneurship is the way forward to compete with other countries that have advantages in terms of sheer volume of labor.

I'm sure Muessig will do what's best for him, but to me one can never have enough tools in the toolbox. The trouble though is many of these degrees are too expensive for no reason other than keeping school administrators employed. So in a sense you cannot blame some of the greenhorn grads with degrees thinking they'll be managers from jump street. The whole economic system is a mess because old money still rules at the end of the day.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

To me, with how things are going, a degree is always a plus to have. What's best is a mix of appropriate experience and a degree. Muessig may not need one because it may not enhance his natural talent and experience as much, but truth be told, traditional employment structures are weakening and perhaps more micro entrepreneurship is the way forward to compete with other countries that have advantages in terms of sheer volume of labor.

I'm sure Muessig will do what's best for him, but to me one can never have enough tools in the toolbox. The trouble though is many of these degrees are too expensive for no reason other than keeping school administrators employed. So in a sense you cannot blame some of the greenhorn grads with degrees thinking they'll be managers from jump street. The whole economic system is a mess because old money still rules at the end of the day.

Getting a degree here in the UK isn't that cheap an average of ?9000/yr. That may not seem that expensive but for most people it's out of reach. Doing it part time is even more expensive.

I'd like to get a better education myself but the cost and time are just not lining up for me. :/ So I know how that feels. I think it would even beneficial for me but a lot comes down to mindset anyway. If you want something you'll go get it, regardless.

A lot of the most successful people in the world don't have degrees.

Here in the UK a lot of who you know and what school you went to is important rather than the actual education you took.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Getting a degree here in the UK isn't that cheap an average of ?9000/yr. That may not seem that expensive but for most people it's out of reach. Doing it part time is even more expensive.

My MSW will cost me about 60K.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3