I hope you're a person who believes in backups....
    10-11-2013 04:06 AM
    If the only option is to do a complete recovery, exit that and find a friend with an Xp install or a Win7 install and create a USB startup disk.
    10-11-2013 04:09 AM
    Same field as you... microbiologist. LOL!
    It's not like every lab working on microbiology is doing the same thing... virology, bacteriology, parasitology, and so on... and if it is for example bacteriology, is it in infection biology, growth and development, plant biology and so on...

So I think the question is legit ;-)
    mpt15 likes this.
    10-11-2013 04:11 AM
    "you will lose all your data during system recovery. Ensure to backup your important data before recovery of your system" I have to options - ok and exit
    10-11-2013 04:15 AM
    Now is probably the wrong time to ask what field you are working in...
    drug resistant tuberculosis
    Chregu likes this.
    10-11-2013 04:15 AM
    I hope you're a person who believes in backups....
    I ahvw backed up my data till about 2 months ago. So I would be missing some important stuff if were to lose it
    10-11-2013 04:17 AM
    "you will lose all your data during system recovery. Ensure to backup your important data before recovery of your system" I have to options - ok and exit
    OK so there's only the recovery option. That's not what you want unless you've done a backup. I wasn't sure if there were different options. With a WinXP disk startup there's utilities available.

OK, you'll need to get a hold of a friend unless you want to wipe your computer clean. What's annoying is that I have about 40 computers in my view...
    mpt15 likes this.
    10-11-2013 04:18 AM
    OK so there's only the recovery option. That's not what you want unless you've done a backup. I wasn't sure if there were different options. With a WinXP disk startup there's utilities available.

OK, you'll need to get a hold of a friend unless you want to wipe your computer clean. What's annoying is that I have about 40 computers in my view...
    I will now find a freind who has win XP.

Thank you so much anyway. :-)
    10-11-2013 04:19 AM
    drug resistant tuberculosis
    Very interesting. David Russell gave a talk recently about this at our university. Well, to be honest it was a rather strange seminar: "We have found out this and this, but we can't publish it because nobody believes it."

Do you have to work in a safety level 3 lab?
    10-11-2013 04:22 AM
    Very interesting. David Russell gave a talk recently about this at our university. Well, to be honest it was a rather strange seminar: "We have found out this and this, but we can't publish it because nobody believes it."

Do you have to work in a safety level 3 lab?
    safety level 3 is correct. Its very hard yo work with tb. Generation times are anywhere from 18-30 hours. And if an experiment doesn't work, its a week down the drain.

Its difficult to change perceptions that people have about tb, so publishing is difficult. If there are results that people do not expect, they just reject it.
    Chregu likes this.
    10-11-2013 04:25 AM
    safety level 3 is correct. Its very hard yo work with tb. Generation times are anywhere from 18-30 hours. And if an experiment doesn't work, its a week down the drain.

Its difficult to change perceptions that people have about tb, so publishing is difficult. If there are results that people do not expect, they just reject it.
    I can only imagine.

I applied for a PhD position in a lab that works under safety 3 conditions, but with Brucella. This lab is shared with a tuberculosis group. However I then took another offer and now I'm working with the most harmless bacterium imaginable, Caulobacter ;-)
    10-11-2013 04:32 AM
    I can only imagine.

I applied for a PhD position in a lab that works under safety 3 conditions, but with Brucella. This lab is shared with a tuberculosis group. However I then took another offer and now I'm working with the most harmless bacterium imaginable, Caulobacter ;-)
    that's nice.

Brucella is scary. As for TB, its been found that lab workers have the lowest incidence of TB, because of all the precautions in place in the lab. Still, one can't be complacent.

I better find someone to help me with my netbook, or this presentation won't be done on the weekend :-(

See you later.
    Chregu likes this.
    10-11-2013 04:36 AM
    I will now find a freind who has win XP.

Thank you so much anyway. :-)
    You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Personally I would recommend getting a portable USB CD/DVD drive and borrowing the Xp CD from your friend. That's the easiest way to do things. I don't think they're that expensive these days. Where do you live? Having the portable drive can come in handy too.
    10-11-2013 04:38 AM
    A rather late good morning from me - Got to love the randomness of this thread - IT support and biology discussion on the same page.
    Chregu likes this.
    10-11-2013 05:24 AM
    A rather late good morning from me - Got to love the randomness of this thread - IT support and biology discussion on the same page.
    I just realized today is Friday. And I think I don't have to go to the lab this weekend, mostly because I can't really work at Monday due to seminars and meetings.

Isn't that all great?
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-11-2013 05:26 AM
    I just realized today is Friday. And I think I don't have to go to the lab this weekend, mostly because I can't really work at Monday due to seminars and meetings.

Isn't that all great?
    So what will you do with your free weekend??

Its my little girls 4th birthday on Monday so having a party for her with my family this weekend.
    Chregu likes this.
    10-11-2013 05:33 AM
    Its my little girls 4th birthday on Monday so having a party for her with my family this weekend.
    Very nice, I hope there will be a lot of cake :)

I'll see a play tonight, and Saturday evening a colleague organizes a dinner. Apart from that I don't have plans. I still might visit my mother at Sunday, but I don't really plan to do it.
    10-11-2013 05:35 AM
    Very nice, I hope there will be a lot of cake :)

I'll see a play tonight, and Saturday evening a colleague organizes a dinner. Apart from that I don't have plans. I still might visit my mother at Sunday, but I don't really plan to do it.
    Indeed there will be - but it will be very pink. My girlfriend is making it, jam sponge with pink icing, pink edible glitter, mini marshmallows and popping candy
    Chregu and N_LaRUE like this.
    10-11-2013 05:40 AM
    Indeed there will be - but it will be very pink. My girlfriend is making it, jam sponge with pink icing, pink edible glitter, mini marshmallows and popping candy
    Sounds very... pink.
    10-11-2013 05:52 AM
    So I put a picture in for the Glance Background thingy. Probably won't win anything but thought I'd throw something in anyway.
    10-11-2013 05:53 AM
    Sounds very... pink.
    Green, blue, pink; love all the cake I say!
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    10-11-2013 05:53 AM
    Green, blue, pink; love all the cake I say!
    Oh nothing against pink. LOL! Especially cake...
    10-11-2013 05:55 AM
    There is a cake making contest at work today. So there are lots of cakes in the office which im hoping to eat at lunch time :)
    N_LaRUE and Chregu like this.
    10-11-2013 05:58 AM
    So I put a picture in for the Glance Background thingy. Probably won't win anything but thought I'd throw something in anyway.
    Me too - that's a good picture you put up - its kinda like the regional variant of the NY with yellow taxi cab picture from Nokia
    10-11-2013 06:05 AM
    There is a cake making contest at work today. So there are lots of cakes in the office which im hoping to eat at lunch time :)
    Are you in Scotland.... (hopes he's close by...)
    10-11-2013 06:06 AM
145,825 ... 473474475476477 ...