I just got a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem, I had been eyeing ARRIS Surfboard 6141 one for a while. Too good a deal to pass up on Amazon today. I will go into the T-Mobile store today and get the ASUS router ordered from them for free. Finally I should start getting Wi-Fi speeds that match my LTE speeds at my house :-)
    03-14-2016 12:08 PM
    I just got a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem, I had been eyeing ARRIS Surfboard 6141 one for a while. Too good a deal to pass up on Amazon today. I will go into the T-Mobile store today and get the ASUS router ordered from them for free. Finally I should start getting Wi-Fi speeds that match my LTE speeds at my house :-)
    Huge fan of the Asus T-Mobile router. Been using one since summer last year. If i was using one of their handsets with wifi calling I'd love it even more. I picked up a cheap modem on Amazon and this combo hasn't failed me yet so far, even though i downgraded my internet speeds.

Very satisfied overall. Looks like you made a solid move.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx
    Laura Knotek and Ed Boland like this.
    03-14-2016 12:58 PM
    This is hilarious....can't wait for a wisecrack comment from Seor Lopez.

Pittsburgh's newest civil servants will be hard to miss when they're on the job. On Wednesday, the city council voted unanimously to allow a crew of goats and one donkey bodyguard to graze in three local parks.

http://a.msn.com/r/2/AAgJnK0?a=1&m=EN-US
    Smart move. Very eco-friendly, provided that the animals are properly vacinated.

Beats the goats we have masquerading as elected officials in Congress and the Donkeys and Elephants currently masquerading as Presidential candidates...if these Pitt goats do the job they should be brought back another year...

sinime and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-14-2016 01:01 PM
    Now, my happiness as a current tech lover mobile wise is also a source of angst in some ways. The most common phrase i use with a good friend of mine whenever we talk tech is: "it's a great time to be a consumer".

So if you know what you want out there, there are many good deals to be had.

If I were buying a phone now, I'd of course factor things like usage and price and battery life and camera and personal style.

If i didn't have a phablet, I'd be choosing between the Moto X 2015 and the Nexus 6P. If the camera didn't bother much in that choice, I'd a a Nexus 6, hands down.

For the slightly smaller size, I'd add the Nexbit Robin, G4 and a Chinese model as my choice (something from Meizu or Xiaomi) as my choice. If i were angling for 2, the Robin at the kickstarter $299 rate + a G4 brand new at $360 still has you way ahead as a combo than the 128GB 6P or a Note 5, for example. If i wanted to be even more tight fisted, a Oneplus X and a Honor 5X as a combo isn't that bad either.

If i were buying a Windows phone, I'd by a M8. Seriously. If i wanted a stylishly cheap model, I'd get a Lumia 650. But yeah, I'd buy a M8. I like the 950 XL, but am not wowed by it. I think the 950 is OK, but again not wowed by it. I'm not wowed by the M8 either, but you can score one for much less and still have good looks and power in hand (still more powerful than the 650).

So what's the point? It's a good time to be a consumer. Do your research right and there are deals to be had in the market. Don't settle for a bull**** handset. Really, don't do it - as the compromises to be made for your hard earned cash should be less due to the improved choices from OEMs.

03-14-2016 01:39 PM
    Hi MIA, welcome back :)
    N_LaRUE, MSFTisMIA and Ed Boland like this.
    03-14-2016 02:35 PM
    So I'm on Android 6.0 since today. And well, it seems faster ๐Ÿ˜
    03-14-2016 02:36 PM
    Oh dear lord, Samsung's new 16TB SSD is around 7200 euros. You can buy at least 3 top-notch PCs for that money.

O.o talk about priorities. Id used that money for a down payment on a car lol
    azcruz likes this.
    03-14-2016 03:47 PM
    Out the hospital folks. Thanks for the well wishes. Finally on the road to recovery (still cautious of course).

Hey Mia! Glad to see you are getting better ๐Ÿ˜
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    03-14-2016 03:48 PM
    Always liked these Sony cans. Do a mini-review...

I will! ๐Ÿ˜Š
    03-14-2016 03:55 PM
    This is hilarious....can't wait for a wisecrack comment from Seor Lopez.

Pittsburgh's newest civil servants will be hard to miss when they're on the job. On Wednesday, the city council voted unanimously to allow a crew of goats and one donkey bodyguard to graze in three local parks.

http://a.msn.com/r/2/AAgJnK0?a=1&m=EN-US

I wonder who's gonna pick up after them:p
    03-14-2016 03:56 PM

Good stuff. How's dose working for you
    03-14-2016 03:58 PM
    Good stuff. How's dose working for you
    I updated it today so we will see but so far Google play services uses much less.
    03-14-2016 04:15 PM
    I wonder who's gonna pick up after them:p

Any guesses Sahib?
    03-14-2016 04:33 PM
    O.o talk about priorities. Id used that money for a down payment on a car lol
    It's not meant for average consumer. I guess big companies and those alike will be the main market for these SSDs.
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    03-14-2016 05:16 PM
    So the guys at the TMO store wouldn't give me the router. I need to talk to their tech support and see how I can get one.
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.
    03-14-2016 06:17 PM
    The pen of my Surface Pro 1 stopped working on the latest OS build. Thanks Microsoft...
    03-14-2016 06:52 PM
    Not surprised you got it on your Moto G before I did on my Moto Maxx...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    Laura Knotek and Sport Driver like this.
    03-14-2016 08:13 PM
    Hey Mia! Glad to see you are getting better ๐Ÿ˜
    Slowly, but surely.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-14-2016 08:14 PM
    Well, I'm one day closer to drinking that beer. That's a good thing.

You know, I'd like to take this post to remind folks that it isn't about the adversity that you face, it is always about your response to it that matters. Adversity to goal achievement is like the tempering process to making a good sword. If heat and proper technique is applied, you get a worthy product at the end that is incredibly beautiful and deadly practical at the same time.

There are consequences that are far reaching for me personally from this recent illness, but if I get too hung up on the negative aspects, I will miss the reset opportunity in the areas that count that this illness has provided. It isn't about just merely taking things in stride, as if you merely take things in stride you'll always be stuck taking things in stride and never getting anywhere.

Fire brings death and destruction, but also transformation and renewal. If we don't go through things in life and get what is needed from those experiences, we don't grow and be better people...

N_LaRUE and Ed Boland like this.
    03-14-2016 10:24 PM
    Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the end of the week where I can get a haircut, have a beer and a quiet night out with the GF. I'll go slaying demons and getting scuff marks from impending challenges another day.

N_LaRUE and azcruz like this.
    03-14-2016 10:26 PM
    Any guesses Sahib?

Not me that's for sure !
    03-14-2016 10:26 PM
    So the guys at the TMO store wouldn't give me the router. I need to talk to their tech support and see how I can get one.

That's right don't give up !
    03-14-2016 10:27 PM
    Sometimes you yearn for the things of your childhood, not because your yearn for your childhood, but you yearn for the pleasant memories of that moment in your childhood.

Thoroughly confused? Here's what I mean.

There are some homemade treats I enjoyed as a child. One is what some people may call a "peanut brittle". Pretty much you get brown sugar, peanuts and a few other things (grated ginger, for example)...throw it all in a pot so the sugar melts and gets everything sticky. You pour out the mixture on thin bits of parchment or cookie paper in evenly spaced blobs and let them cool. They ended up in circular style shapes, like cookies sort of.

As an adult, the sugar content is through the roof. If I ate that now, I wouldn't enjoy it as much. So why mention this?

As a kid on a Friday night we would sit on the porch, especially on the summers. Every Friday night at a certain time, you'd hear the whistle coming up the street and well knew what it was. There was a young guy in the neighborhood who would push a homemade cart with a small, slow burning wood fire box at the end. What he would do is go up and down every street... selling peanut based treats. You could get roasted peanuts still in the shells that he was roasting in the firebox. Those were warm, unsalted and smoky in flavor. The problem is, you'd have to shell them yourself. And hanging from the side of the cart was this hung ring of the individually wrapped peanut brittle in clear plastic bags.

So you'd stop the cart as he is going by...he'd never pull up to you front of your gate as a safety issue for him. If cars were passing he'd pull over into the other shoulder. Remember, this is traveling Street vendor with money on him - safety first. If you don't want any, you let him go by. He wasn't the only person who did this. Eventually, he added the coconut version to these where you'd grate the coconut into bite sized chunks and swap the peanuts out instead.

Anyone who really knows anything about shrimp knows you can both freshwater and saltwater shrimp. Freshwater shrimp are slightly different. We used to eat these too from small clear plastic bags. These were cured, then heavily coated with peppers and spices. You eat these whole - head and all. Best ones to eat where the pregnant female shrimp too. Yup, a traveling street vendor was how I would eat these, outside of road trips to near where the shrimp farms are.

Also, we had an ice cream man do this too, riding through with two large buckets of ice cream (surrounded by dry ice to keep the cream cold especially on blistering tropcial Sunday afternoons) on a bicycle. Same rules applied. We were working folk and never kept ice cream in the house growing up. I'd have ice cream either like this or when I went to mall. Mostly as a kid, this was how I ate ice cream...one a cone from a traveling weekend street vendor.

I'm in a mood to share a childhood memory, hence the long post. So while some people may have gone to the movies or fishing as their childhood memories, this is one of my favorites from my childhood. We got to knew our street vendors like this so even though there were a few traveling ones, we always bought stuff from the same guys. The young guy and his brother sold the coconut and roasted peanuts - Friday evenings. A middle aged man sold the ice cream - Saturday evenings, but mostly Sunday afternoons. And an wiry old man with a white beard on a Honda 50 bike sold the shrimp - Sunday afternoons. Others passed through, but those were who we liked and bought stuff from. I heard stories about what happened to them...some ended in tragedy too (like the ice cream guy who was murdered).

Would I eat those things now? Yes...and no. I have ice cream at home in my fridge, but even now that's a great something i buy occasionally. I know how to make the peanut brittle myself and buy it occasionally, but the sugar content keeps it on the rarer side for me. And I have had the shrimp like that in years, I do yearn for it periodically.

I guess it is about the little things that matter as a little kid, the memories makes those childhood things...much better as a child.

03-14-2016 11:01 PM
    I almost feel like starting a childhood memories thread...not sure if it's going to get much traction around here...but it'd be a fun read, for sure with a community as big and as diverse....

03-14-2016 11:20 PM
    I almost feel like starting a childhood memories thread...not sure if it's going to get much traction around here...but it'd be a fun read, for sure with a community as big and as diverse....

I say go for it! I would enjoy it.
    worldspy99 likes this.
    03-14-2016 11:47 PM
143,569 ... 47874788478947904791 ...