Yeah, and I understand people getting bored with it. I also understand the "if it's not broken, don't fix it philosophy". I mean, they've perfected it and it works perfectly. The 3D Touch (adding another layer) thing was really the only thing they could do without disturbing what they have there.

Is it "stale"? IDK.. "Bland" maybe, but I think they've kept it that way on purpose to keep the OS transparent, and not getting in the way between the user and their content/apps. On Windows and even Android, users spend more time fiddling with the OS and tweaking things (which don't get me wrong - isn't always a bad thing) than enjoying the actual feature, app, or content they set out to enjoy in the first place. That's another reason I love these iPhones.. they save me so much time, as I don't really have to do anything to make everything work.

On the other hand, I do get bored and like to tinker just like the rest of us... I guess until the magical "perfect phone" of my imagination comes into fruition, I'll always be a 2 or more phone kind of guy! lol
    I left Apple because of app fatigue. It felt like if I wasn't in an app doing something, I wasn't using the phone. That works for some, doesn't work for me. Plus I liked to tweak the phone so I used Cydia a lot for themes...crashed my iPhone a ton but man, they had so nice themes back then...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!
    sahib lopez likes this.
    04-18-2016 11:19 PM
    Alright, going to bed for real this time... nighty nite!
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-18-2016 11:20 PM
    I left Apple because of app fatigue. It felt like if I wasn't in an app doing something, I wasn't using the phone. That works for some, doesn't work for me. Plus I liked to tweak the phone so I used Cydia a lot for themes...crashed my iPhone a ton but man, they had so nice themes back then...

Ah Cydia.. I haven't heard that in a minute. The last one I had a jailbreak on was a 4S. You're right, those themes all the rage back then.
    Laura Knotek and MSFTisMIA like this.
    04-18-2016 11:24 PM
    I just searched the whole Verge site for articles and forum comments by Vlad containing the keyword "ringtone" and came up with nothing. Got a link? I'll send him some quick how-to instructions lol
    My bad it's actually Dieter Bohn....send him a tweet!
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/15/11...ios-stuck-past
    Ed Boland and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-18-2016 11:30 PM
    wait.. all those are super easy!

1. Settings/General/Autolock - change to anything you want

2. When I got my new 6S Plus all I had to do for the native Mail App was add my Outlook account (Settings/Mail, Contacts, & Calendars/ add account) Then of course I had to have the Outlook app for iOS which is awesome... no problems at all there with adding accounts or contacts.

3 Custom ringtones galore! I have a bunch of custom ones that I made with little recording tidbits I did on the guitar. When I have something I want to put on the iPhone, I just import it into iTunes and sync it... with "sync over WiFi" enabled, it's just as easy as drag and dropping to a Windows device. "Vlad" (whoever that is) must not have much experience with these sorts of things...

There's really not much effort involved in any of those things you mentioned.
    1. I could not find the auto lock timeout without searching for it on the internet, not easy or intuitive at all.

2. My wife used Yahoo Mail on WP. So it was a bit convoluted to get the contacts sorted out. Nothing serious because an internet search fixed it but again not as easy as signing in your Outlook or Google account and getting the contacts ported over.

3. I refuse to use iTunes. That is software that is still stuck about 10 years behind the curve and probably the weakest link in the Apple chain.

That is my viewpoint as an outsider looking in. Please note that I have an iPad, iPod touch and an iPhone in the house so I'm not a novice but not completely entrenched in the Apple ecosystem so.....you get the idea.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-18-2016 11:40 PM
    1. I could not find the auto lock timeout without searching for it on the internet, not easy or intuitive at all.

2. My wife used Yahoo Mail on WP. So it was a bit convoluted to get the contacts sorted out. Nothing serious because an internet search fixed it but again not as easy as signing in your Outlook or Google account and getting the contacts ported over.

3. I refuse to use iTunes. That is software that is still stuck about 10 years behind the curve and probably the weakest link in the Apple chain.

That is my viewpoint as an outsider looking in. Please note that I have an iPad, iPod touch and an iPhone in the house so I'm not a novice but not completely entrenched in the Apple ecosystem so.....you get the idea.
    What's an iTunes?

You mean MSFT had to kill the vastly superior Zune software and yet because Apple has sold maybe a billion iPhones they get to keep this extinct dinosaur software around?

04-18-2016 11:46 PM
    I haaaaate iTunes. so slow
    04-18-2016 11:47 PM
    My bad it's actually Dieter Bohn....send him a tweet!
    Why the iPhone sometimes feels stuck in the past | The Verge
    "Executive Editor"! Even better lol

Nah, I'll just let him be. I read the article though, and seriously, it's really not as bad as he makes it sound! Especially the part where he says "steps 7 and 8 went really bad... " really? (There's not really that many steps first of all) and 7 yeah, you click on "ringtones" duh... 8 is non existent with sync over WiFi.

These guys on the Verge (and other "tech" sites) spatting off all kinds of stuff that people take as gospel is ridiculous.
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-18-2016 11:48 PM
    Good luck there.
    When my PayPal bucks get built back up I'll be looking for the unlocked LG G4 too.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-18-2016 11:53 PM
    Yeah, I'll admit that I try to avoid using iTunes at all whe possible. It's only on the occasion that I want to sync a ringtone to the phone really. For music and movies, I always keep everything on my PC and stream everything with either PLEX or Onedrive.
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    04-18-2016 11:55 PM
    When my PayPal bucks get built back up I'll be looking for the unlocked LG G4 too.
    Oh, those you can find in spades. Expansysusa has that for $330. eBay you could do under $300 (probably Swappa too). I like my G4, battery life is so so, but the camera's nice. I do miss the water resistance from the Z3, but my tablet still allows me to enjoy Sony...

04-18-2016 11:59 PM
    Ping me before you buy😁
    04-19-2016 12:38 AM
    Ping me before you buy :)
    Woohoo will do!
    :)
    04-19-2016 12:45 AM
    WTH... the DOOM open BETA has been up and running all weekend long and I'm JUST finding out??? It ends tonight at midnight... *races to re-install the dang thing*
    I thought you knew it. If I knew you were clueless I would have told you
    04-19-2016 01:43 AM
    If someone does get an infraction, that link automatically gets sent to them along with the mod's comments about what they need to do properly, so nobody who gets banned is unaware of what they did wrong or what they need to do differently.
    Uh, I think I have one of those. Got it for 'piracy recommendations'.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-19-2016 01:46 AM
    Off to school now. It's almost the small brake, just one more day and I'll have 10 days off.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-19-2016 01:56 AM
    She should get an avatar pic like that!
    I don't want to scare people away!
    N_LaRUE, Ed Boland and Guytronic like this.
    04-19-2016 02:40 AM
    That was a lot of reading...
    Ed Boland likes this.
    04-19-2016 05:30 AM
    MIA thanks for the heads up regarding the update. No sign of it yet.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-19-2016 05:31 AM
    As for my network issues, it turned out that I need to restart the NAS for some reason.

I didn't have time to sort out if I still need use the WD Discovery software. It seems to find everything but I didn't try mapping a drive yet. At least I can find the drive now.

Doesn't explain the issues with the other laptop though... the one I was sorting out is a fresh install of W10.

Synaptics software still sucks though. :P
    Ed Boland likes this.
    04-19-2016 05:33 AM
    So I got my new SIM card but now I have to go to the shops to get things sorted. I need to cancel the one and set the other up. It's all fun I tell ya.

Technology is great but the processes to get things going seems to take forever....
    04-19-2016 05:51 AM
    Good morning... I hate it when I forget to buy coffee, then end up having to go to the store early in the morning and stagger through the store like a zombie... Must.. Have... Coffee
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    04-19-2016 06:07 AM
    Good morning... I hate it when I forget to buy coffee, then end up having to go to the store early in the morning and stagger through the store like a zombie... Must.. Have... Coffee
    I always try to have some sort of coffee on hand for just such situations.
    Ed Boland and MSFTisMIA like this.
    04-19-2016 06:10 AM
    As for my network issues, it turned out that I need to restart the NAS for some reason.

I didn't have time to sort out if I still need use the WD Discovery software. It seems to find everything but I didn't try mapping a drive yet. At least I can find the drive now.

Doesn't explain the issues with the other laptop though... the one I was sorting out is a fresh install of W10.

Synaptics software still sucks though. :P
    On the trackpad / Synaptics thing, I've noticed on this Toshiba Satelite laptop I have, that one of the recent Windows updates knocked out the whole trackpad driver/software package thing from Synaptics I had installed... It was like everything was set back to factory as far as the trackpad goes. (Which means no fancy Win10 gesture controls etc as this was originally a Windows 7 laptop)
    Guess I'll have to go to Synaptics for their updated driver package.. because Windows obviously didn't pick it up.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    04-19-2016 06:37 AM
    On the trackpad / Synaptics thing, I've noticed on this Toshiba Satelite laptop I have, that one of the recent Windows updates knocked out the whole trackpad driver/software package thing from Synaptics I had installed... It was like everything was set back to factory as far as the trackpad goes. (Which means no fancy Win10 gesture controls etc as this was originally a Windows 7 laptop)
    Guess I'll have to go to Synaptics for their updated driver package.. because Windows obviously didn't pick it up.
    That's odd. Mine finds the driver just fine. The issue is that it resets to default every time you restart the PC. Very annoying. I'm not a huge fan of gestures.
    04-19-2016 06:39 AM
144,424 ... 48644865486648674868 ...